gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:09:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does anyone of you know the Beach Boys Manager?  (Read 14323 times)
wallabie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: September 16, 2009, 11:14:55 AM »

Hi,

does anyone of you know all the Beach Boys Managers? I have some gaps and donīt know how to fill them Smiley
So is anyone willing to help? Thank you Smiley

Murry Wilson      1961-1964

Nick Grillo           1966-1969

Jack Rieley      1971-1973
Steven Love      1973-   
Jim Guercio      1974-1976
Steven Love      1976-1977
Henry Lazarus      1977   
Steven Love      1977   
Jerry Schilling      1980-?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 11:28:11 AM by wallabie » Logged

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day"
www.beachboys-germany.com
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 11:20:03 AM »

Tom Hulett during the 80's.  Since around 1990 it has been Elliott Lott, president of BRI.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 12:40:40 PM »

I know Jerry Schilling was Carl's manager, don't think he managed the whole group, but someone a bit more knowledgeable could clear up the issue.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 01:47:04 PM »

I know Jerry Schilling was Carl's manager, don't think he managed the whole group, but someone a bit more knowledgeable could clear up the issue.
Jerry did manage the group. He started as a tour manager around '77...by 1979 he was band's official manager, I think his tenure continued only until Carl went solo in '81, although Jerry was involved with the band in some form through '85.
wallabie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 02:48:45 PM »

Yeah, I am sure about Schilling because in the 2nd Nick Kent Article (yeah, sorry, I know itīs bad and I donīt want to say much about it) from 1980 Schilling is excessive mentioned  Grin... because he wrote that it was Schillings idea to invite him (Kent) again for an interview after the Beach Boys suited him after the 75er article and Bruce nearly did go banans when he saw Kent  LOL

So, this could be an evidence...

TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 03:00:18 PM »

If I recall correctly they actually had two managers at one stage to accomodate the different factions within the band.

... ofcourse my memory could well be failing me ... again ...  Embarrassed
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 07:11:19 PM »

I wish I could remember who said it and when, but I recall a interview in the early 80s when a member of the band said 'the Beach Boys are unmanageable'. It made them seem more trouble than the Sex Pistols.  Grin

Today Jay Jones comes up although I think Mike would be the hands on guy.

http://www.jayjonesmusic.com/
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 07:25:26 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 09:42:03 PM »

Read this: http://www.jayjonesmusic.com/clients/beachboys/factfile_07.pdf

That's so bad.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 10:03:55 PM »

What did Jim Guercio do? They hardly did anything between 74-76. At least in the studio.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 12:17:55 AM »

ouch, a bit one-sided I'd say.  Undecided

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
wallabie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 02:35:52 AM »

Yeah, itīs kind of ironic. They opened the Brother Studios in Santa Monica 1973 - but actually, they never used it that often. Only Dennis used it really often.

If I am not mistaken Guercio joined as a replacement for Blondie Chaplin in the first place and became the Band Manager. They held the Caribou Sessions in 74 and so on. Think there was a lot of stuff to do, and he had his Caribou Ranch and Chicago as well to manage  Grin. So I wouldnīt say that he was bored.

But... I cannot find anny sources for the other Managers. Who was it after Murry and between Grillo and Rieley? Why where they relieved? So many things to ask Smiley

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 09:20:15 AM »

That really reads like a parody.  Hard to believe anyone could write that in seriousness...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
wallabie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 10:19:40 AM »

So, to the fact file... they forgot to mention that Mike Love actuelly Co-Wrote 3 Songs for Pet Sounds *lol*

Are they some kind of Love Fans or anything like this. And why is this posting in my Manager-Thread?  LOL

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 02:43:59 PM »

From April 1964 (when Murry got the boot) to spring 1966, the band were managed by Cummings & Currant (ironically, Murry's tax accountants), although C&C may have just handled the finances and Brian taken management chores. Spring 1966, the band moved from C&C to Julius Lefkowitz & Company. Taking charge of their account is one Nick Grillo, who is soon invited to become their personal manager. Grillo was officially dismissed in April 1972 and replaced by Jack Rieley (in reality, Jack was the de facto manager since about later 1970). Jack was sacked late 1972/early 1973 and replaced by Steve Love (Mike's brother), who was in turn replaced by Jim Guercio late 1974/early 1975.... but not for long as he was replaced by Steve in spring 1976. Steve's 2nd stint lasts until March 31st 1977, when his contract isn't renewed, at which time Carl brings in a friend of his, Henry Lazarus (or Lozarus). He lasts until the summer when a big European tour is cancelled at short notice because he's screwed up the paperwork. Who do Mike & Alan invite back ? Correct, Steve Love. He's fired - for the 3rd time - after the legendarily disastrous Australasian tour of early 1978 and Tom Hullett becomes manager.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
wallabie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 02:55:42 PM »

Thank you Andrew, you are grand.

Do you possibly know when (or if???) Jerry Schilling took the Management Part over? Or is this Nick Kent guy confusing me again?  Grin

A real special thank you for all your help Andrew, would love to give something back to you but I donīt know what...?

And do you know... the Manager of the Beach Boys was in charge for Brother Records as well, wasnīt it? I mean, they had David Anderle back in 1966... but after this they didnīt had any additional personal, had they?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 02:58:51 PM by wallabie » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 03:43:06 PM »

Schilling was involved in the 80s but I'm not sure when. Certainly he was Carl's manager then.

David Anderle was head of Brother, but didn't manage the band.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 03:58:32 PM »

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what exactly did Brother do in the 66-69 period? Y'know, before Warner picked it up? The only thing that springs to mind is the H&V and Gettin Hungry singles, but was there anything else of substance - other signings, divisions, etc.

Oh, and Brian being the bands manager in the 64-66 period is interesting. I don't suppose he did any actual managerial stuff during the time, but still.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 04:11:43 PM »

I'm pretty impressed that Mike donated 100k to the Katrina fund

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 05:54:41 PM »

Schilling was involved in the 80s but I'm not sure when. Certainly he was Carl's manager then.

David Anderle was head of Brother, but didn't manage the band.
Schilling was without a doubt the BB's manager(not just Carl's) in 1980 and throughout the 20th anniversary period. Mike refers to him as "our manager" during that period, and on the infamous Good Morning America appearance in '80 he joins the band on the couch and is described by them as their manager, also in the press surrounding the 20th anniv. concert at the L.A. Forum Schilling is named as the group's manager....plus he's told me to my face several times that he was the group's manager during that time. I think it ended when Carl bailed out in '81...Schilling went with him and never came back all the way.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 07:08:29 PM »

Maybe it was just Carl, but Schilling was associated with the BBs in some form thru 1985.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 09:54:41 PM »

Maybe it was just Carl, but Schilling was associated with the BBs in some form thru 1985.

Right...after '81 it was an "association" or co-manager as opposed to being their "official manager" as he was in '80.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 04:46:38 AM »

Oh, and Brian being the bands manager in the 64-66 period is interesting. I don't suppose he did any actual managerial stuff during the time, but still.

Bruce mentions that Mike did a lot of managing for the BBs in the early 70s in this interview: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,7804.0.html

Of course since the WOTS-podcast, if not earlier, I have some doubts about what Bruce says when it comes to Mike. Anyway, I wasn't there....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 04:59:48 AM »

Right...after '81 it was an "association" or co-manager as opposed to being their "official manager" as he was in '80.

In his book Me And A Guy Named Elvis, Jerry states that in 1978, Mike recommended to the rest of the band that he be their manager, having managed Carl since the end of 1977.

Nicko1234
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 05:09:31 AM »

Of course since the WOTS-podcast, if not earlier, I have some doubts about what Bruce says when it comes to Mike. Anyway, I wasn't there....

Care to elaborate?
wallabie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 05:49:08 AM »

But I also read in an Interview or Article that - after MIU - and after they lost a lot of money because of "missmanagement" by Stephen Love (?), Alan Jardine was put in charge as both Manager and Head of Brother Records?Huh I read it in Kingley Abbotts Book, but Iīm not sure anymore in which section or article. So I wonīt find the exact quote quickly....

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx