gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681290 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 05:19:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50th anniversary Releases  (Read 13473 times)
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2009, 09:47:59 AM »

Reply to Bicycle Rider: sorry to be a broken record (sp!) on this subject.  If you have a computer with Windows Media Player 10 or higher, HDCD is built in and will engage automatically when you play the CD.  Try it wearing good headphones (not earbuds), or putting the output through your stereo. The HDCD treatment, like EQ, is something that can be applied to taste - you can trowel it on, or just put a hint of it there.  To oversimplify: it increases the dynamic range, adds volume, and creates a smoother sound by effectively "forcing" a couple extra bits into the 16-bit standard signal, then extracting them out in the A/D transfer.   Indeed, some quibble, but I think what Mark did was apply it tastefully, so the discs sound good in non-HDCD players (like my car).  My personal view is that Pet Sounds in stereo, in particular, really benefits from it.  I have a hard time deciding whether the HDCD or the vinyl of BWPS sounds better - both sound very good.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2009, 03:15:32 PM »

People who type out SMiLE should be banned for twelve years.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2009, 04:02:50 PM »

I'm pretty sure Michael Jackson owned the rights to most of The Beatles catalog and he was responsible for their use in commercials...

Besides, what Ringo did had nothing to do with The Beatles.  Ringo hasn't exactly had much solo success in the last twenty years, so any marketing is good marketing for him and I say go Ringo.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2009, 05:39:42 PM »

Don't forget that the BB two-fers - especially the more recent versions - were mastered with great care, in HDCD for those who have it (most do), by Mark Linett.  In that respect the current BB releases, sonically, are far superior to the 1987 CD issues of the Beatles catalog.  It took the Fabs another 22 years to get around to doing the CD remasterings right.

Maybe that's more a shout-out to Mark than anything else, but it's still a noteworthy point.

I think some would quibble with that - first off, I suspect most of the BB fans both on this board and in general who purchased the 2001 releases do not have HDCD.  Second, I would argue that the original 2fers in many respects sound better than the 2001 releases.  Perhaps I would change my mind if I had HDCD - does HDCD somehow counter the loudness/compression of the latest remasters and tame the overly bright treble?

Um, just to set the record straight (or CD, as it were) FRIENDS/20/20 really needed that veil lifted, which the un-NRed 2001 issue remedied with flying colors.  I didn't find the louder mastering to be too much of a problem.  It's worth it to hear those songs "breathe".

BTW, I can't speak for the rest of the catalog; that's the only 2001 I have.
Phil H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2009, 03:31:53 AM »

Interesting topic. That is, what should or should they not do for a 50th Anniversary release. Personally, particularly as some sort of a bonus release, I'd like to see a complete album with vocals only. After listening to something like that I'd defy anyone to come back and then (still) say the Beatles were the better group. Vocally the Beatles were good but the Beach Boys were perfection.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2009, 10:56:32 AM »

SMiLE SMiLE SMiLE SMiLE SMiLE SMiLE SMiLE SMiLE SMiLE SMiLE SMiLE  LOL LOL Razz Razz Razz Razz Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2009, 12:12:49 PM »

I'm just gonna say SMilE because I dream of the day a big box set with everything from the SMiLE era is remastered and released.

Boots are just not enough.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »

Hah!  I love the above post!  No offense to the many fine posters on this board who type Smile as SMiLE, but the practice has never made any sense to me.  Using that logic, the great majority of Beach Boys album titles should always be typed in all capital letters (THE BEACH BOYS TODAY!, etc.), but Surfin' Safari should never be capitalized and should instead be typed as surfin' safari.   Smiley Smiley

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2009, 02:37:13 AM »

Hah!  I love the above post!  No offense to the many fine posters on this board who type Smile as SMiLE, but the practice has never made any sense to me.  Using that logic, the great majority of Beach Boys album titles should always be typed in all capital letters (THE BEACH BOYS TODAY!, etc.), but Surfin' Safari should never be capitalized and should instead be typed as surfin' safari.   Smiley Smiley

There was a time when I used to type 'Der Schmillie' (for the SS LP) and 'Der Über-Schmillie' (the hypothetical official mega-box of SMiLE).

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2009, 03:54:55 AM »

Originally, said posters thought they were adhering to Brian's overall vision for the project, as that's how the title appears on the front slick. Sadly, it was discovered some years ago that it wasn't Brian's idea at all but originated in the Capitol art department.  Shocked

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2009, 06:46:43 AM »

OK, we've heard about the Carnegie Hall 72 CD/DVD release, and a possible Dennis 71-73 solo track collection.

I've heard nothing about either; anyone have any details?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2009, 07:33:15 AM »

OK, we've heard about the Carnegie Hall 72 CD/DVD release, and a possible Dennis 71-73 solo track collection.

I've heard nothing about either; anyone have any details?
Re Carnegie: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,7795.0.html

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2009, 10:34:07 AM »

Originally, said posters thought they were adhering to Brian's overall vision for the project, as that's how the title appears on the front slick. Sadly, it was discovered some years ago that it wasn't Brian's idea at all but originated in the Capitol art department.  Shocked

Ah, yes.  If only SMiLE was an acronym for Spiritual Music in Loving Expression, then typing SMiLE would truly make sense.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2009, 11:23:32 AM »

Ah, yes.  If only SMiLE was an acronym for Spiritual Music in Loving Expression, then typing SMiLE would truly make sense.

Personally, I think capitalizing album titles simply makes a post easier to read and easier to scan quickly if one chooses. Typing "Smile" seems a little bland for such a monumental project so I always thought that "SMiLE" gave it a little weight. SMiLE (with the lower case "i") is unique and will not be confused with Charlie Chaplin's "Smile", Pearl Jam's "Smile", Cheap Trick's "Smile" or Michael Ritchie's film SMILE (1975) among others.

I had no idea this was upsetting you guys so much, so I will now refrain from including the  lower case "i" in the title...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2009, 11:43:18 AM »

I think I'll either refer to it as smIle or as LUEWWHoRTS.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2009, 01:20:58 PM »

Yes, someone in the Capitol art department did the lettering above the Smile shop.  And for a long time, I too thought that there was nothing more to it than that.

However,  I recently began to wonder if perhaps the anonymous Capitol artist was somehow inspired by Brian Wilson himself.  The fact is that Brian DOES write in an idiosyncratic mixture of upper and lower case letters.

Look closely at his writing in this photo from last year:
http://media.washingtontimes.com/media/img/photos/2008/09/03/BRIAN_WILSON.jpg

(i.e., notice the lower case "i" in "NARRATiVe"; also see "PLeASURe ISLAnd").
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2009, 02:13:04 PM »

The fact is that Brian DOES write in an idiosyncratic mixture of upper and lower case letters.

Look closely at his writing in this photo from last year:
http://media.washingtontimes.com/media/img/photos/2008/09/03/BRIAN_WILSON.jpg

(i.e., notice the lower case "i" in "NARRATiVe"; also see "PLeASURe ISLAnd").
Dear god, I hope the art department doesn't catch wind of that...

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2009, 11:10:14 AM »

I'm really excited for pleasure island, if it does ever happen.

You know the work is always good when Brians feeling it.

Like goin home is a rock and roll song, Brian loves rock and roll so Brian kills on that track.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2009, 02:43:35 AM »

Honestly, I don't expect Pleasure Island to ever appear. Don't know why. Instinct.

BennySahuaro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2009, 05:52:21 AM »

Honestly, I don't expect Pleasure Island to ever appear. Don't know why. Instinct.

I hope somethng appears...just not under the title, "Pleasure Island." It's a lame name for an album.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2009, 05:58:01 AM »

I hope somethng appears...just not under the title, "Pleasure Island." It's a lame name for an album.

Well, what about "Fiji" ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2009, 06:37:14 AM »

Well, what about "Fiji" ?

Hmmm... bit of a burdened name by now. I prefer Ireland.

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2009, 07:11:16 AM »

If history tends to repeat itself, Brian will tour Pleasure Island (with a premiere solicited by some prestigious music hall), get great critical reviews, and then release the CD.

"Back to Kokomo" might be a good title. Wink
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2009, 03:28:37 PM »

Have so faith, it has to happen.

SMiLE, TLOS, Pleasure Island, Brian's trilogy. wow.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2009, 11:50:50 AM »

Have so faith, it has to happen.

SMiLE, TLOS, Pleasure Island, Brian's trilogy. wow.

Can't forget his prior trilogy, Sweet Insanity, Imagination, GIOMH!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx