gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681548 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 11:20:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ultimute Christmas Album/1977 Christmas Album  (Read 5000 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2009, 07:26:24 PM »

I was listening to the tracks for the unreleased 1977 Christmas tracks last night. Is it just me, or does the sound quality and mixing suck? Why is the sound so bad? I especially noticed it on the Christmas versions of Loop De Loop and Kona Coast. They sound really muddy. There's no "life" in them.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 08:30:35 PM »

i agree...i also felt that Christmas Time is Here again isnt too great sounding either...but it might be the sleigh bells added in...btw, was there a cover made for this?  Or since it was rejected, no cover was attempted?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 08:38:30 PM »

Yeah, let's get them songs remastered. It was good enough for The Beatles! police
Nicko1234
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 12:45:15 AM »

Some people have also said that Dennis` song sounds far worse that it did at the time as well...although clearly a fine song anyway.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 12:50:33 AM »

i agree...i also felt that Christmas Time is Here again isnt too great sounding either...but it might be the sleigh bells added in...btw, was there a cover made for this?  Or since it was rejected, no cover was attempted?

I'm amazed, and seriously embarrassed, that it took me so long to work this out... but there never was going to be a 1977 Christmas album. The first seasonal song session I'm aware of was for "Santa's Got An Airplane" at MIU in 11/14/77, last one was 11/23/77. Bit late for 1977 release, no ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 12:54:44 AM »

I was listening to the tracks for the unreleased 1977 Christmas tracks last night. Is it just me, or does the sound quality and mixing suck? Why is the sound so bad? I especially noticed it on the Christmas versions of Loop De Loop and Kona Coast. They sound really muddy. There's no "life" in them.

Bear in mind that some of the 1977 sessions were remixed using the Spatialiser for the 1998 reissue, to wit "Santa's Got An Airplane", "Melekalikimaka" (also a different recording in parts) & "Bells Of Christmas".

Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 02:22:36 AM »

was it not that some tapes were in really bad shape ? I think Alan Boyd told that in a interview. I have the boot and official release and Bells of xmas sound really different.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 05:12:17 AM »

I'm amazed, and seriously embarrassed, that it took me so long to work this out... but there never was going to be a 1977 Christmas album. The first seasonal song session I'm aware of was for "Santa's Got An Airplane" at MIU in 11/14/77, last one was 11/23/77. Bit late for 1977 release, no ?

Maybe not a 1977 Christmas album, but how about a 1978 Christmas album? I always assumed that they were planning to record and finish the album in late 1977/early 1978, and release it in the fall of 1978, like MIU eventually was... 
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 06:36:06 AM »

Hey, you just never know with those beach boys and Christmas songs....didn't they record Child of Winter really late too?  Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 11:15:30 PM »

Bear in mind that some of the 1977 sessions were remixed using the Spatialiser for the 1998 reissue, to wit "Santa's Got An Airplane", "Melekalikimaka" (also a different recording in parts) & "Bells Of Christmas".
Um....what's a Spatialiser?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 11:33:18 PM »

http://jeronimomachado.vilabol.uol.com.br/spatializer.htm

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 11:54:29 AM »

Am I the first to, um, notice a wicked (possibly Freudian) slip o'the pen in the actual threat title?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 12:06:04 PM »

Am I the first to, um, notice a wicked (possibly Freudian) slip o'the pen in the actual threat title?

Cheesy Cheesy

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 12:42:57 PM »

If we're talking about the 1977 songs on the 1998 'Ultimate Christmas' compilation; some of those are the ones that Al remixed with the spatialiser and yes they do sound 'odd' (presumably because you're meant to listen to it with some fancy equipment?).

Fortuneately few of those songs require a second listen....

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 03:04:08 AM »

Is the Spatializer roughly the same gizmo as the Aphex Aural Equalizer? That was used by the Bee Gees, if memory serves, and it gave their '70 hits that special, unique, and incredibly bland sound.

(BTW one of the funniest parody songs I know is: 'Meaningless Songs In Very High Voices' by the Hee Bee Gee Bees...)

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 03:19:26 AM »

No, the Aphex, and I quote, "is said to enhance clarity and intelligibility by adding phase shift and musically related synthesized harmonics to audio signals. The Big Bottom circuit combines a low-pass filter and dynamics processor to compress and delay incoming low-frequency information. The process is reverse amplitude dependent, meaning that more is applied as the input level drops and less as the signal gets hotter. Together the dynamics processor and time delay create sustained bass frequencies that are perceived as being louder yet don't noticeably increase peak output."

Yeah... whatever.

Steve Desper's Spatializer is, as best I can understand, a method of encoding 3D information in any given audio signal. It's not unlike surround sound, but requires just two speakers.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 03:31:46 AM »

Thanks Andrew. This is something I can, um, like, relate to... Grin

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 04:51:56 AM »

Is the Spatializer roughly the same gizmo as the Aphex Aural Equalizer? That was used by the Bee Gees, if memory serves, and it gave their '70 hits that special, unique, and incredibly bland sound.

(BTW one of the funniest parody songs I know is: 'Meaningless Songs In Very High Voices' by the Hee Bee Gee Bees...)

Might be why a lot of folks think the "Light Album" sounds so bland (it was mixed with the Aphex Aural Exciter...I assume that's the one you're referring to?).  However, to my ears, "KTSA" sounds far blander, and that was a Desper mix (don't think he had the Spatializer yet, however he did mix "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up" with a quadrophonic "Matrix", so maybe he did something similar with "KTSA"...it just sounds a bit bland in stereo.  Don't think I've ever hooked the Spatializer up to listen to THAT album...maybe I should give it a try!).
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 04:56:51 AM »

Might be why a lot of folks think the "Light Album" sounds so bland (it was mixed with the Aphex Aural Exciter...I assume that's the one you're referring to?).  However, to my ears, "KTSA" sounds far blander, and that was a Desper mix (don't think he had the Spatializer yet, however he did mix "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up" with a quadrophonic "Matrix", so maybe he did something similar with "KTSA"...it just sounds a bit bland in stereo.  Don't think I've ever hooked the Spatializer up to listen to THAT album...maybe I should give it a try!).

Yup, it was the Exciter, thanks. The late 70s and the 80s were pretty strange years for record production. Someone should write a book on it. Many records were bland indeed. I blame Jeff Lynne.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 05:13:16 AM »

Listening to KTSA with the Spatialzer patched in is... um... interesting.

MBE
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 05:49:05 AM »

I always keep the Spatialzer plugged in I think it makes everything sound better.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 05:53:36 AM »

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm very curious about this spatializer gadget, even with my limited understanding of it. Are they available for purchase? I'd love to see what effect it would have for myself.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 06:20:50 AM »

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm very curious about this spatializer gadget, even with my limited understanding of it. Are they available for purchase? I'd love to see what effect it would have for myself.

Don't think so - Steve Desper sold them for a very limited while: check out his thread for more info on the gadget in general.

BTW, for a truly wrenching aural experience, listen to Denny's tracks on CATP-ST through the Spatializer.  Shocked
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 06:37:33 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 04:25:45 PM »

I always keep the Spatialzer plugged in I think it makes everything sound better.

I find that on certain albums (even certain Beach Boys albums) not encoded with the quad "matrix", the center vocals tend to become buried when listening thru the Spatializer...last two Steely Dan albums, for instance ("Two Against Nature" and "Everything Must Go").
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 05:01:01 AM by c-man » Logged
MBE
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 05:44:37 PM »

Really to me it just makes everything more life like. I never really liked stereo compared to mono until I got one.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx