gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 05:50:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where does "Carl and the Passions - 'So Tough' " rank?  (Read 9963 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2009, 04:11:25 PM »

The funny thing about CaTP-ST is that it still stands as a solid album, there’s nothing phoney about it. Mind you, it’s 27 years old and I don’t think it has aged a second.

Truer words have never been spoken. I never thought about that, but you're right on. Thanks for mentioning that.

And just for the fun, "You need a mess..." from the "Ol' grey whistle test", partly live
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMmX30uyWX4&feature=related

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2009, 04:44:03 PM »

I disagree about "hasn't aged," but I will say I think it has aged considerably better than Holland.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2009, 06:37:59 PM »

Yeah, Holland has aged "worse" but it's still my all-time fave!

I think C&TP just sounds fresh because it really doesn't sound like The Beach Boys but more like the debut album of some weird band that fizzled quickly after. It sounds a lot like what a Dennis/Carl album might've been like. Blondie and Ricky might very well have played on such an album, Brian might've very well gifted or co-wrote a couple tracks.... Dennis might've very well brought in the same two songs, maybe a couple more (Carry Me Home?)

Sprinkle in a bit of Mike and Al though, and you've got what must be called a Beach Boys album, even if begrudgingly.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2009, 06:58:56 PM »

As any have said before, C&TP is more four singles with B-sides than anything else. And don't get me wrong, I prefer Holland. By far. It just sounds more dated.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2009, 02:20:57 AM »

The album kind of seems unfinished; only being like 8 tracks.  They certainly could have put out at least 3-4 more.  There are some strong songs on here such as "Marcella", "YNAMOHTSA" and "All This Is That".  I dig the Blondie/Ricky tunes as well (I know I'm in the minority here).  I could do without the two lumbering Dennis songs. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2009, 02:36:04 AM »

The album's shortness is among the things I really like about So Tough. The Beach Boys were just so very good at making these beautiful sufficient records that clocked in at 30 minutes or even less, just very focused and unpretentious. In addition, however, they should have made another two of these short ones in the early seventies. I'm pretty sure that no one would be complaining.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2009, 03:40:28 AM »

By the way, in He Come Down who's singing "Men see, cries before the road..." and "Tell me life is over..."? Alan, Carl?
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2009, 03:53:02 AM »

By the way, in He Come Down who's singing "Men see, cries before the road..." and "Tell me life is over..."? Alan, Carl?

I'd have to give it a good listen, but isn't it Blondie?
mtaber
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2009, 05:43:52 AM »

I remember in the days just prior to the album hitting the stores that I was listening to an FM radio station, hoping they'd play some tracks from CATP.  Info back then was obviously not as readily available as nowadays, and i didn't know Blondie and Ricky had joined the group.  It was (and still is) common practice for the DJ to play a set of 5 or 6 tracks by various artists, and then come on to identify the songs and artists after the set was over.  So, I'm listening all day, and I hear nothing like a Beach Boys track.  Then, at the conclusion of a set of songs, the DJ comes on and says "that set included tracks by (insert any 4 or 5 early 70's artists) and the Beach Boys"! 

I am freaking out, I have been listening closely and there was NO BEACH BOYS SONG IN THAT SET!!!  I keep listening, then maybe 4 hours later, the same thing happens.  Now I think I'm going crazy.  What is this DJ smoking?  This drove me mad.

A few days later, when the album hit the stores, I finally figured out that the song they played on the radio was "Here She Comes"...
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2009, 04:15:20 AM »

I'd have to give it a good listen, but isn't it Blondie?

I agree. See what our Resident Dean on all things Historical has to say about it...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2009, 04:21:17 AM »

Oh, I forgot the main question. I have my problems with both CATP and Holland, although I like them a lot. Both, esp. Holland, have autumnal qualities that I like. Holland now and then reminds me of The Band. Perhaps I miss a bit of 'light', a bit of 'cheer', don't know. Both would not make my BBs top-10. That said, both albums have beautiful moments. 'All This Is That', 'Marcella', 'Steamboat', 'California Saga (Big Sur)', 'Sail On Sailor'... I'd say they'd get a ranking just above the middle (I avoid 'average', because compared to other artists the word 'average' is not in my BBs dictionary).

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2009, 06:32:18 AM »

Once I figured out where these came in the song (hint: it's not what I'm hearing  Smiley), yes, pretty sure that's Mr. C.

BTW, Brian was quite heavily involved in this track.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 06:33:30 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2009, 07:26:39 AM »

Once I figured out where these came in the song (hint: it's not what I'm hearing  Smiley), yes, pretty sure that's Mr. C.

If you search for lyrics of this song on the www, you'll find a standard set of lyrics that are all the same. And apparently the translation is not 100% correct. Including the lines that were quoted here.

As for Mr. C (following phirnis' question if it's Alan or Carl).
Mr. Carl or Mr. Chaplin? I Always thought it was the latter....

EDIT: reading mikey's and Heartical's reply, you probably meant Chaplin.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:27:37 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2009, 08:36:08 AM »

Sorry, me being obtuse - Blondie.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2009, 10:05:22 AM »

I got that set of lyrics from the Cabinessence website. Couldn't make them out myself.

Relistening to the whole record as I type, I have to say it sounds much better than I thought it would. I can definitely picture Brian being heavily involved in "He Come Down", which is not that different from what the group would later attempt with "That Same Song".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2009, 10:26:34 AM »

So was HCD written by Brian, Mike and Al or Carl, etc? Always wondered about that.
And I think that HCD is a great production and cool song, no matter who did it. I remember being blown away by it when I first heard it. The singing and arrangement are superb.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2009, 10:32:29 AM »

It's credited to Jardine/B. Wilson/Love.

Love that shrill organ sound at 2:45. Anyone know if Brian had a hand in the vocal arrangement?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2009, 10:35:25 AM »

It's credited to Jardine/B. Wilson/Love.

Thanks ! My booklet just says Wilson/Jardine/Love, that's why I wondered

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2009, 12:03:50 PM »

Ha! I *knew* Brian was...people used to say I was crazy when I said that years ago. I mean, never mind the fact you can hear his (admittedly buried) vocals.

Sweet vindication! LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2009, 01:03:53 PM »

I never thought otherwise. That track is so Brian.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2009, 01:44:02 PM »

Just catching up after an extended vacation.  From 1970 on:

!. Surf's Up
2. Holland
3. Sunflower
4. So Tough
5. 15 Big Ones
6. Still Cruisin'
7. Beach Boys '85
8. M.I.U.
9. Keeping the Summer Alive
10. L.A.
11. Love You

I've tried time and again to see what is at all appealing about Love You.  I keep coming up with "The Night Was So Young", "Let Us Go on This Way", "Ding Dang" and the rest is pure drivel.  So Tough was their last solid album.  I've never heard Summer in Paradise, but I'm not about to shell out $30 to give it a listen based on virtually everyone's opinion.

GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2009, 10:32:08 PM »

The first, last, and only time I found any redeeming value in "Love You" was on Sean Macreavys 15 minute medley on his cd "Dumb Angel".  I went from hating it to loving it.

But only Sean's version.  I can appreciate a lot of stuff that is said about the arrangements and melodies (Love You; 1977) but I still can't enjoy listening to the album.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »

The first, last, and only time I found any redeeming value in "Love You" was on Sean Macreavys 15 minute medley on his cd "Dumb Angel".  I went from hating it to loving it.

But only Sean's version.  I can appreciate a lot of stuff that is said about the arrangements and melodies (Love You; 1977) but I still can't enjoy listening to the album.

WHAAATTT?Huh? You can't not love Love You!! I get riled up every single time I hear "To get you babe I went through the ringer..."

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx