-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:01:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Do you have a fave Beatles album?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Do you have a fave Beatles album?  (Read 9352 times)
Spiritinthesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2009, 01:57:14 PM »

Any Beatles fans?

http://www.thisdayinmusic.com has a poll to find out what is your favourite Beatles album.

Abbey Road has the most votes so far, then The White Album, then Rubber Soul.

Have a look if you fancy a vote.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 06:35:28 PM »

Rubber Soul is mine and Brian's fav

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 06:38:27 PM »

Rubber Soul is mine and Brian's fav

Mine too! Smiley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 06:43:12 PM »

Sgt. Pepper. Obvious but true.

Also, how is this not in the non-BB music thread?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 06:57:22 PM »

Sgt. Pepper. Obvious but true.

Also, how is this not in the non-BB music thread?

Pepper sucks. Tongue Na in all seriousness, Pepper has grown on me in recent months and I'm really starting to appreciate it a lot more now
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 07:45:59 PM »

Love all of The Beatles' albums; they're so consistently excellent. But, I'd have to say that my two favorites are A Hard Days' Night and Help.

I say this with no motive to seek attention, to start an argument, to be cool, or to ruffle feathers....but I never understood how/why Rubber Soul and Revolver are usually ranked near or at the top of lists. I DON'T KNOW WHY, but they just don't reach me the way the rest of the catalogue does. I just don't think the songs are as strong as the other albums. Again, I'm NOT trying to be different; actually it's a mystery to me why I don't love 'em as much as the rest. Maybe some day I'll wake up and they will...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 07:50:36 PM »

Those two are great, too.

While I am a Pepper guy, there are at least half the Beatles albums I can understand as a choice for best. Those are two.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 07:52:22 PM »

Mine is Beatles For Sale. Or maybe Rubber Soul. Or Revolver. Or the "white album". Or Abbey Road.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 08:09:52 PM »

Love all of The Beatles' albums; they're so consistently excellent. But, I'd have to say that my two favorites are A Hard Days' Night and Help.

I say this with no motive to seek attention, to start an argument, to be cool, or to ruffle feathers....but I never understood how/why Rubber Soul and Revolver are usually ranked near or at the top of lists. I DON'T KNOW WHY, but they just don't reach me the way the rest of the catalogue does. I just don't think the songs are as strong as the other albums. Again, I'm NOT trying to be different; actually it's a mystery to me why I don't love 'em as much as the rest. Maybe some day I'll wake up and they will...

Yeah A Hard Day's Night and Help! are great albums - both in my top 5. That's cool that you don't like Rubber Soul/Revolver, there's nothing wrong with that - if it doesn't reach you like the rest of their albums that's fine - but you have to admit there are some great songs on them though? I mean "In My Life", "Eleanor Rigby" etc.. Anyway, I'm the same way with Abbey Road and to a much lesser extent the White Album - I just can't see why people like 'em THAT much? There are no doubt some great songs on those albums (as with every Beatles album) but I just don't see what the fuss is about? Maybe I'm wrong but I just reckon a lot of people single those two out in particular to be "cool" or "underground" or something. Am I making sense? If not, just ignore me. With the Beatles (no pun intended) though, every album is fantastic so even the album on the bottom of my list (probably Let It Be) is still a good album with some great songs on it.

there are at least half the Beatles albums I can understand as a choice for best.

May I see a list? Smiley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 08:15:49 PM »

Top of my head, yeah. Hard Day's Night, Help, Beatles For Sale, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Pepper, White, Abbey Road.

And to be honest, Past Masters II, if it were a proper album.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 08:23:10 PM »

Yeah A Hard Day's Night and Help! are great albums - both in my top 5. That's cool that you don't like Rubber Soul/Revolver, there's nothing wrong with that - if it doesn't reach you like the rest of their albums that's fine - but you have to admit there are some great songs on them though? I mean "In My Life", "Eleanor Rigby" etc.. Anyway, I'm the same way with Abbey Road and to a much lesser extent the White Album - I just can't see why people like 'em THAT much? There are no doubt some great songs on those albums (as with every Beatles album) but I just don't see what the fuss is about? Maybe I'm wrong but I just reckon a lot of people single those two out in particular to be "cool" or "underground" or something. Am I making sense? If not, just ignore me. With the Beatles (no pun intended) though, every album is fantastic so even the album on the bottom of my list (probably Let It Be) is still a good album with some great songs on it.

Your post makes perfect sense; it's exactly how I feel. Except Abbey Road and The White Album are near the top of my list. police
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 08:24:55 PM »

Pepper is my fave but the best I'd say is Abbey Road or Revolver. Pepper just strikes such a chord with me, will always have a special place in my heart.

Abbey Road is one of the definitie albums...period, just a majestic collection of brilliant songs and beautiful production...the height of George Martin's power. Revolver is just the ultimate album to explore all of the Beatles best styles...everything is there bar country and western.

White album was my favorite next to Pepper for years, but I think I've over-listened to it.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
MBE
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 09:39:52 PM »

All UK Editions. Brian's favorite is the US Rubber Soul
1. Rubber Soul-A+
2. Revolver-A+
3. Beatles For Sale-A
4. Help-A
5. With The Beatles-A
6. A Hard Days Night-A-
7. Please, Please Me-A-
8. Magical-A-
9. White Album-A-
10. Let It Be-A-
11. Pepper-B+
12. Abbey Road-B+ (I like this and Pepper a lot but I find them slicker then the other albums)
13 Yellow Sub-C
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 05:31:09 PM »

Used to be Pepper but as I've gotten older, I think it's the White Album.

So many different genres of music!
BennySahuaro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 08:19:06 PM »

Oh, gosh do I have to choose?  Well then,  it has to be "Love Songs."

Just because I can't choose between Rubber Soul, Seargent Pepper and The White Album.
MBE
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »

Oh, gosh do I have to choose?  Well then,  it has to be "Love Songs."

Just because I can't choose between Rubber Soul, Seargent Pepper and The White Album.
I never played Love Songs much but it had a great cover!
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 09:55:15 PM »

Rubber Soul....I have never been a real Sgt Pepper's fan

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 04:22:36 AM »

I am not a fan.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 12:45:07 PM »

the reason why i love Rubber Soul so much is that, when I got into the Beatles (after seeing the Beatles' Revolution (ABC Doc.)), I bought the Beatles1 cd, after that, Rubber Soul....and it just had a unique fit for me, and I loved it. There's something about an excellent album with no number 1's on it, like the white album as well.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 04:58:58 AM »

the reason why i love Rubber Soul so much is that, when I got into the Beatles (after seeing the Beatles' Revolution (ABC Doc.)), I bought the Beatles1 cd, after that, Rubber Soul....and it just had a unique fit for me, and I loved it. There's something about an excellent album with no number 1's on it, like the white album as well.

Wow, that is a very similar pattern to me!  My freshman year of college I went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for the first time and bought 1s there, then two months later a bought Rubber Soul and then a little after that I got the White Album as a gift.  I was totally hooked.

Anyway, Revolver is my favorite.  I love all the songs and I think that it sounds great.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 12:56:03 PM »

Please Please Me!!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 05:46:59 PM »

My overall favorite is Abbey Road, Rubber Soul US edition and Please Please Me are right up there. Relvolver is good but I'd like it more if Dr. Robert and Good Day Sunshine were swapped for Paperback Writer and Rain.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2009, 06:37:18 PM »

I'd actually like to hear opinions on the Please Please Me album...little history for me on the album, I never owned it (jsut downloaded it a week ago) but knew about half of the popular songs....so my main question is how is this album on Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 50 albums of all time? I've listened to it a coulple of times, and I have no idea how that album coulda made it that high on the list. I think a Hard Days Night is their strongest of their early albums (pre-rubber Soul).

~post of the century~
-Mikie

SG7
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2009, 07:09:10 PM »

Revolver
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2009, 11:03:56 PM »

I'd actually like to hear opinions on the Please Please Me album...little history for me on the album, I never owned it (jsut downloaded it a week ago) but knew about half of the popular songs....so my main question is how is this album on Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 50 albums of all time? I've listened to it a coulple of times, and I have no idea how that album coulda made it that high on the list. I think a Hard Days Night is their strongest of their early albums (pre-rubber Soul).
Rolling Stone's list is not just about the quality of the songs, but what they meant for music history.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: