gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 10:47:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Uncredited songwriters?  (Read 3702 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2009, 02:49:05 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84HYDHX9QLU

This video should be familiar to most of you, but I was irritated by the description the poster wrote:

Rare awesome tour footage including a 2 minute cover of Buffalo Springfield's classic "Rock and Roll Woman". Plus tour clip highlights from the bands 1968 European tour. Clip is taken from the rare out of print 1988 documentary "An American Band". It's just coming to light that this track and several other tracks may actually have been composed by Dennis Wilson & Carl Wilson or Brian WIlson and the track and copyrights sold in order to recoupe losses the band were going through from sluggish sales of "Smiley SMiLE, Friends, Wild Honey & 20/20". It also just was recently discovered that Dennis Wilson actually did co-write "You are so Beautiful" with Billy Preston in 1974. But who knows..Either way it's a great version of this track.

Anyone like to comment?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 03:06:26 PM »

Well... fer one thing the American Band video hails from 1985, and isn't out of print at all... as for the claims that Carl & Denny sold their songs to the Springfield...  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 04:01:36 PM »

'Just coming to light....' - Sounds like a big crock of sh*t to me...Nice footage though Smokin

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 09:04:44 PM »

I really need to find my copy of An American Band.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 11:39:27 PM »

I really need to find my copy of An American Band.

Two words - "You Tube".  Smiley

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 05:17:14 AM »

Well... fer one thing the American Band video hails from 1985, and isn't out of print at all... as for the claims that Carl & Denny sold their songs to the Springfield...  Grin

Thanks. I thought I was going crazy because I'd never hear about that....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
wallabie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 05:34:49 AM »

Maybe it´s a hoax - Smiley - I remember, couple of years ago someone wrote that "Brian Wilson uses a pseudonym to write songs for other artists..." or something like this...

But I was always wondering why the Beach Boys played "Rock´n´Roll woman" during their 1968 tour... and it was common to give songs "away" wasn´t it... just Italy on Murry´s Album? Credited to Alan?  Grin

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day"
www.beachboys-germany.com
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 05:51:09 AM »

But I was always wondering why the Beach Boys played "Rock´n´Roll woman" during their 1968 tour...

Probably inspired by Buffalo Springfield with whom they toured together.

You know, to me it doesn't make too much sense to sell the rights to a song you have written, 'cause in time you'll probably make much more money if you keep the rights for yourself (and the song is any good Smiley )

- Jack Rieley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 05:57:21 AM »

Maybe it´s a hoax - Smiley - I remember, couple of years ago someone wrote that "Brian Wilson uses a pseudonym to write songs for other artists..." or something like this...

How I wish that was true...
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 06:51:40 AM »

As for American band, I think it is stilll out there as a DVD twofer with the Don Was IJWMFTT film.  And as I recall, it was dirt cheap.  If you don't have it, drive out to the mall and buy a copy.  As for R&R woman, it was a great cover for the BBs to do.   I suspect, at the time, it wasn't necessarily widely known as a Springfield song, except to BS fans.  Wasn't Carl wearing a Nudie (excuse spelling)  suit in that video?
wallabie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 09:23:58 AM »

@Rocker: Yeah you are write, but unfortunately some give the copyright away for some reasons... Or do you believe that Vincent Ford wrote "No woman no cry"? Smiley....heard that many people sell songs - I know that this doesn´t make sence at all.

@topic: I think amazon sells the twofer for around 13 bucks... good price though, ísn´t it?

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day"
www.beachboys-germany.com
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 11:26:55 AM »

"Rock & Roll Woman" sounds nothing like a Brian, Carl or Dennis Wilson composition, but sounds exactly like something Stephen Stills would write. Cool cover nonetheless; makes me wish the BBs recorded a studio version for 20/20 (to replace "Bluebirds Over The Mountain").
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 11:38:23 AM »

"Rock & Roll Woman" sounds nothing like a Brian, Carl or Dennis Wilson composition, but sounds exactly like something Stephen Stills would write.
That's what I said as a comment on the video, and the guy that posted it called me a douchebag!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 11:41:48 AM »

Challenging entrenched beliefs is a dangerous business...
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 01:21:43 PM »

Challenging entrenched beliefs is a dangerous business...

WELL SAID!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 07:45:28 PM »

I dare you to message the guy and tell him he's full of sh*t.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 08:05:27 PM »

You know what? I just realized that he deleted my comments! Here's his original response (it's still in my email):

"just to make a point of knowledge to your obvious obsession with Stephen Stills...That comment is on a few different sites. Nothing has ever been proven. Yet the Beach Boys were touring in January of 1967 doing that song, mnonths before Springfield even recorded it, and like I said, either way if it it's a great "version" of the track-so shut it..douche"

I asked him what "few different sites" he was talking about, and instead of responding, he deleted my comments, and his responding to mine.

Andrew, that would be great if you called him on it! Maybe he'd believe you Roll Eyes

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 08:13:42 PM »

It would be hilarious if he started arguing with AGD, not knowing who he is.  LOL I made that mistake once.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 10:43:26 PM »

It would be hilarious if he started arguing with AGD, not knowing who he is.  LOL I made that mistake once.

BB playing "R&R Woman" in 1967 ?  Don't think so...

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 12:05:46 AM »

You know what? I just realized that he deleted my comments! Here's his original response (it's still in my email):

"just to make a point of knowledge to your obvious obsession with Stephen Stills...That comment is on a few different sites. Nothing has ever been proven. Yet the Beach Boys were touring in January of 1967 doing that song, mnonths before Springfield even recorded it, and like I said, either way if it it's a great "version" of the track-so shut it..douche"

I asked him what "few different sites" he was talking about, and instead of responding, he deleted my comments, and his responding to mine.

Andrew, that would be great if you called him on it! Maybe he'd believe you Roll Eyes

BB touring in January 1967 ? Nope.  Grin

http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/gigs67.html

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx