gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 03:22:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Good timin' - Knebworth  (Read 8333 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2009, 04:23:32 PM »

So, why exactly was GT left off of the Knebworth-DVD? I heard the performance, which is very good imo and you'd have another Brian-vocal in there. And what about the other songs? Although I could live without a live version of "Some of your love", there are other songs that would've been nice to hear/see

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 04:40:14 PM »

So, why exactly was GT left off of the Knebworth-DVD? I heard the performance, which is very good imo and you'd have another Brian-vocal in there. And what about the other songs? Although I could live without a live version of "Some of your love", there are other songs that would've been nice to hear/see

I was at the Knebworth gig and at the time thought Some of Your Love was the song that rocked best that night.

“We live in divisive times.”
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 04:47:07 PM »

Perplexing isn't it? It's not that Carl had an over abundance of lead vocals on the CD/DVD, maybe 4 1/2, and IMO he was peaking vocally around that time.

What's even more perplexing is that they would TITLE the CD/DVD "Good Timin", when it didn't even appear on the released  setlist. Huh
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 05:46:10 PM »

I can't quite say for sure, but I've heard the Good Timin for Knebworth and Brian messes up, slightly but noticeably, on the first chorus and although there is a lot of overdubbing on the album/DVD, I'm pretty sure all of the lead vocals are completely live. In fact I'm damn sure of that, as I remember Boyd or Linnett saying it on this site. So I think they didn't include it because Brian messed up.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 06:45:42 PM »

I can't quite say for sure, but I've heard the Good Timin for Knebworth and Brian messes up, slightly but noticeably, on the first chorus and although there is a lot of overdubbing on the album/DVD, I'm pretty sure all of the lead vocals are completely live. In fact I'm damn sure of that, as I remember Boyd or Linnett saying it on this site. So I think they didn't include it because Brian messed up.
What did Brian mess up? I've heard the version, and I don't remember any mistakes in it.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jason
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 08:49:51 PM »

The undoctored tapes for Knebworth are frightening. Especially In My Room.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 01:02:21 AM »

This was released a few years ago, so I may be wrong, but I vaguely remember Bruce saying that he wasn't satisfied with the performance so he requested it not be included?  I may be thinking of something completely different...
wallabie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 02:55:39 AM »

Yeah, you are right - the undoctores Versions are... bad Smiley. I always wonder how much you can improve the quality in a studio!

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day"
www.beachboys-germany.com
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 05:01:56 AM »

What did Brian mess up? I've heard the version, and I don't remember any mistakes in it.

Same here. I just listened to "Good timin'" and without paying to much attention, I didn't recognize any big mistake. On the other hand, the quality of course is not great and maybe it would be better to hear on a official release

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 08:36:10 AM »

Did Brian sing lead on GT? I just thought he added a vocal that wasn't in the studio cut.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 10:34:33 AM »

I just thought he added a vocal that wasn't in the studio cut.

Yes, that's what he did. But that's more singing than he did for the rest of the concert, excluding "Surfer girl" and "Sloop John B".

- Jack Rieley
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 11:06:28 AM »

On "Good Timin" he just does a response---a simple part, which wasn't on the recording but it was the original intent of the composition (as Carl said). Brian just mumbles "he" and "it" on the last "it takes good timin'," and he looks afraid during this part. In fact during most of the Good Timin's he did with the Beach Boys he looks for Carl when he's singing as if he's unsure of himself.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 01:13:16 PM »

I'm pretty sure Mark, Alan, and Bruce have all said that the only thing they did to the Knebworth recordings (besides cleaning up the sound obviously and remastering)  was add another group track of backing vocals and maybe overdub some lead guitar?
MZ6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 01:22:31 PM »

Many years ago I heard a board recording of the soundcheck. While it was interesting it was difficult listening. But Good Timin' didn't seem to stand out as being any better/worse than anything else. One thing I do recall is Al wanting to run through a tune, and it seemed that everyone ignored his request. Eventually he said something like "Oh well, I'll just do it with an acoustic guitar".
Nicko1234
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 01:39:38 PM »

How does Santa Ana Winds sound on the boots if it`s been heard? They did play it around this time right?
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 02:07:37 PM »

I'd bet that was the song Al wanted to run through on acoustic, because from what I've heard the BBs performance of "Winds" at Knebworth was one step away from completely winging it.
MZ6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 03:30:33 PM »

I'd bet that was the song Al wanted to run through on acoustic, because from what I've heard the BBs performance of "Winds" at Knebworth was one step away from completely winging it.
I'm sure that's what it was. Thinking more about it now, I'm positive he was playing through a few of the changes while his request for a run through was falling on deaf ears.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 03:47:53 PM »

I love the Knebworth concert but they could have made the group look a lot less like an oldies act if all the KTSA songs (and probably even "I Write The Songs") would have been part of the final product.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 04:13:07 PM »

Ya I haven't heard it in awhile, but Knebworth's Santa Ana Winds was a bit rough, definitely first time they ever played it. I LOVE the version from Washington 7/4/80.  Nice Meros solo and Al drowns out Mike so you can't hear his whiny part either. Hey, at least Al tried for new stuff. Why they didn't play Goin On is beyond me, being the first single off the album, as well as Heartache. 
As for the others from that night, I'm sure there were space limitations or else they would need a double CD?  In M My Room was rough, Brian screwed up them up on the intro.  I Write The Songs is good, just a Bruce decision not to include. Good Timin sounds fine to my ears. Some of Your Love clearly isn't bad  from that night either.  I have never heard Catch A Wave from that show so don't know about that. 7/4/80 was one of the last times I heard that song REALLY rock so might have been interesting.  WIBN Al says Brian and I are gonna try this one together, and Brian never sings. Al laughs during "happy times together we could spend em", but thats not major to me.  Not enough Carl and too much Bruce on the harmony also but that might have been fixable. I think that one could have made the cut.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 06:30:04 PM »

Here's "Good Timin'" from Knebworth, Brian's mistake is at 1:47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIr5BsQXJFI&feature=channel_page

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 06:37:21 PM »

I love the Knebworth concert but they could have made the group look a lot less like an oldies act if all the KTSA songs (and probably even "I Write The Songs") would have been part of the final product.
But wasn't it first released several decades after it was performed, in which case that's a moot point? It's not as if a 2000 casual audience would particularly notice the omission of 1980 songs over, say, 1970 songs.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 07:05:21 PM »

I've always wondered, does the complete show exist on film, or is it just that one song?

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 07:21:20 PM »

I've always wondered, does the complete show exist on film, or is it just that one song?
HuhHuh??
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »

HuhHuh??
Yeah, that was a VERY poorly worded sentence, wasn't it? I meant, does the complete unedited show exist  in the hands of collectors? Or was it just that one song that has circulated as an "outtake" of the dvd?

Jason
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 07:32:19 PM »

The whole concert has circulated for years.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx