gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681549 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 04:23:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Relationship between Brian and Carl  (Read 13434 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2009, 01:51:23 AM »

Just for kicks -- imagine this:

1. Soul Searchin'
2. You're Still A Mystery
3. Chain Reaction of Love
4. Getting In Over My Head
5. Desert Drive
6. Saturday Morning In The City
7. Market Place
8. Must Be A Miracle
9. Mary Anne
10. Elbow '64
11. Some Sweet Day
12. This Song Wants to Sleep With You

Imagine all of those songs with BB vocals. Imagine the reaction to an album like that if it came out in '96 or '97.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2009, 03:07:30 AM »

Add "It's Not Easy Being Me" & "Slightly American Music" and you got my vote.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Nicko1234
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2009, 04:22:13 AM »

Just for kicks -- imagine this:

1. Soul Searchin'
2. You're Still A Mystery
3. Chain Reaction of Love
4. Getting In Over My Head
5. Desert Drive
6. Saturday Morning In The City
7. Market Place
8. Must Be A Miracle
9. Mary Anne
10. Elbow '64
11. Some Sweet Day
12. This Song Wants to Sleep With You

Imagine all of those songs with BB vocals. Imagine the reaction to an album like that if it came out in '96 or '97.

That could have been a good, if not great album I think but...it would have been a Paley/Wilson album rather than a BBs album in my opinion.  If I were one of the BBs, I wouldn`t have wanted to come in to sing guest vocals on songs which Brian may have written a bit on. Especially if somebody else was producing.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2009, 08:16:48 AM »

It would've been a great album indeed, I heart the Paley sessions; in my mind it's the best thing (along with TLOS) that's Brian's done since 1977 by far.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2009, 10:59:11 AM »

On the good vs. great issue -- I think the Paley sessions can be overrated. But if you prune them down a bit, you have solid bedrock for a comeback. And even if the album was only okay, the mood at the time meant it would have been pretty darn acclaimed -- look at how well received things like "Flaming Pie" and the first Cash comeback were.

People wanted to see their icons return, weathered but resilient. The boys could well have done that.

The alternate scenario, of course, is that you could scrap four or five of the Paley songs and write some new ones to make it more of a group affair. That was a far more rewarding (and potentially lucrative) proposition than rejecting the entire thing. Mike tried. Carl bailed. Brian wanted to do it. Tragic.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 11:07:00 AM by claymcc » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2009, 12:23:31 PM »

Add "It's Not Easy Being Me" & "Slightly American Music" and you got my vote.

I thought you didn't like the Wilson/Paley stuff...?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
wallabie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2009, 12:26:31 PM »

I heard once - am not sure - that Carl offered "Run don´t walk" for this Beach Boys Album in 1995. And if I am not mistaken, Mike Love wrote (or was supposed to do so) lyrics for the "Dancing the night away" on which Carl walked out of the studio.

But I am still wondering. How is this possible that Carl didn´t like the new meterial but he sang on both Summer in Paradise and Stars & Stripes?

Ok, I understand... the Sound of Wilson/Paley was far away from the sound the Beach Boys had with Terry Melcher. And Bruce stated once that he was also not very happy with the material and the fact, that Andy Paley was involved.

It´s a pitty... also that the Virgin Deal 1996 never took place. Instead we have "Stars & Stripes" ... gosh... Being a guest on your own CD, same thing happened now with "Postcards from California"..

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day"
www.beachboys-germany.com
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2009, 06:28:58 PM »

A bit off topic, but not entirely, how did Brian being able to sing on the Spanish version of Kokomo come about? Did Landy give that one the ok? Was Brian indeed called for the sessions but at the last moment as written in WIBN?
MBE
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2009, 09:04:20 PM »

Jardine refutes the auto biography (which is false on almost everything) and says that Brian was invited but that Landy wouldn't let him do it unless Landy got in on the action. Co-producer credit, maybe a co-writing credit etc. Brian should not be mad at the group. It is Landy's fault 100 percent.
wallabie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2009, 10:59:30 PM »

My understanding was, that Landy wrote WIBN with Todd Gold and that Brian had nearly nothing to do with it. In an Interview around 1989 Mike stated, that the Band invited Brian - but not Brian directly, because they couldn´t get in touch with him.

So -

1) Mike said in this Interveiw: We invited Brian, but Landy always refuses
2) Brian stated in an other Interview in the beginning of the 90th that we was invited to the sessions, but it was like: "He Brian, we are in the studio. Would you like to come over?"
3) IN the Endless Harmony Dokumentation Mike stated, that Landy only´d give his permission to be a part of Kokomo if he gets a credit as co-producer and co-writer.

A nearly similar thing happend at the 25th Celebration in Hawaii when Landy decided that Brian would only be a part of the Concert if the Beach Boys play the Song "Spirit of Rock and Roll". That wasn´t a big problem because it was reported that Mike really liked this song.

Some questions are not answered yet:

1) Brian was part of the Still Cruisin Album with two songs. They rerecord "In my car" for it, with Carl taking part. And Brian sang the intro to "Island Girl". Brian also participated in the "Somewhere near Japan" Video.

2) Also the story behind "Wipe Out" is a bit odd. Mike had the Idea of doin a Rap-Song with Run-DMC but he terminanted the contract himself. Then they worked with "The Fat Boys" - but. It is reported that Landy wanted Gary Usher to be the producer of the song, is that right? If I remember correctly, Bruce refused to work with Usher. So it is reported that Brian and Jeffrey Foskett are the only "Members" that were a part in Wipe Out - but everytime when I hear the song... I can hear Mike... ?

So why didn´t they "go together" on Wipe Out - was it also Landy? ... so, now I am completely off-topic Smiley

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2009, 11:10:58 PM »

It would've been a great album indeed, I heart the Paley sessions; in my mind it's the best thing (along with TLOS) that's Brian's done since 1977 by far.
I'll one up that. It's Not Easy Being Me and Getting In Over My Head are Brian's best songs since Wonderful, and Caroline, No.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2009, 11:47:53 PM »

Some questions are not answered yet:

1) Brian was part of the Still Cruisin Album with two songs. They rerecord "In my car" for it, with Carl taking part. And Brian sang the intro to "Island Girl". Brian also participated in the "Somewhere near Japan" Video.

Bruce told me that "In My Car" "came to the album very late. It was a surprise". To make it seem less of a BW solo track, Carl & Alan overdubbed a few lead vocal lines.

2) Also the story behind "Wipe Out" is a bit odd. Mike had the Idea of doin a Rap-Song with Run-DMC but he terminanted the contract himself. Then they worked with "The Fat Boys" - but. It is reported that Landy wanted Gary Usher to be the producer of the song, is that right? If I remember correctly, Bruce refused to work with Usher. So it is reported that Brian and Jeffrey Foskett are the only "Members" that were a part in Wipe Out - but everytime when I hear the song... I can hear Mike... ?

So why didn´t they "go together" on Wipe Out - was it also Landy? ... so, now I am completely off-topic Smiley

Ever since the track was released, the only BB I could hear on this song is Brian... and I find it significant that in the 20-odd years I've been saying this, no 'interested party' has taken me up on it.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2009, 11:50:54 PM »

So Mike's not on it? Who is doing the low part?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Nicko1234
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2009, 12:23:31 AM »

I'll one up that. It's Not Easy Being Me and Getting In Over My Head are Brian's best songs since Wonderful, and Caroline, No.

I respectfully disagree but it`s all about opinions of course. It`s Not Easy Being Me is an ok song but nothing special. Gettin` in Over My Head is much better but still trails a long way behind the likes of This Whole World and Til I Die imo.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2009, 12:32:02 AM »

So Mike's not on it? Who is doing the low part?

Da cuz.  Grin

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2009, 12:34:19 AM »

One of his other cousins, i.e. one of the other Love brothers? Fucking weird if that is the case LOL

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2009, 12:41:52 AM »

One of his other cousins, i.e. one of the other Love brothers? friggin' weird if that is the case LOL

Brian.

wallabie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2009, 01:06:29 AM »

That´s Brian? Are you sure? I really thought it must be Mike... you know, this "dededede..."... this is Brian? First I thought that´s Mike, then I had Jeff in mind... and now... huh. Can´t trust your own ears Smiley

Beach Boys History is really weird Smiley. Because Brian was the only Beach Boys on "Wipe out" (and on Daddy´s Little Girl, it was labeld as "Beach Boys" song wasn´t it?) but he is in the Videos of Wipe Out and Someone near Japan... and in the Wipe Out Video all but Carl were included...

An 3rd question (back to topic) - Does anyone know more about this story that Brian gave his share (or vote) of Brother Records to Carl? But eventuelly he got it back.. I was just wondering why and when Smiley
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 01:12:59 AM by wallabie » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2009, 02:31:19 AM »

I thought the "bow-bow-bow-BOW-Bow" and the "dededede" parts were Mike too. LOL

Live and learn!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2009, 05:19:32 AM »

That´s Brian? Are you sure? I really thought it must be Mike... you know, this "dededede..."... this is Brian? First I thought that´s Mike, then I had Jeff in mind... and now... huh. Can´t trust your own ears Smiley

This is only my opinion - listen again to the bass vocal closely... there's a quality there that Mike never showed (not saying it's better, just... different): Mike's bass vocals were/are very distinctive. This doesn't sound like him... and for those who say Brain can't do bass, check out the unreleased Spring version of "Shortenin' Bread" he used for the Adult/Child album - that's him on bass.

Beach Boys History is really weird Smiley. Because Brian was the only Beach Boys on "Wipe out" (and on Daddy´s Little Girl, it was labeld as "Beach Boys" song wasn´t it?)

Nope - credited on the soundtrack album as by Brian Wilson.

An 3rd question (back to topic) - Does anyone know more about this story that Brian gave his share (or vote) of Brother Records to Carl? But eventuelly he got it back.. I was just wondering why and when Smiley

Not exactly - during the 70s, when Brian really couldn't be bothered, he either abstained or gave Mike his vote. Why Mike and not Carl, or Dennis ? I have absolutely no idea...

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2009, 07:10:59 AM »

Beach Boys History is really weird Smiley. Because Brian was the only Beach Boys on "Wipe out" (and on Daddy´s Little Girl, it was labeld as "Beach Boys" song wasn´t it?)

I think wallabie meant the "(Barbie) Living Doll" flexi single that was released with the California Dream Barbie doll. That one mentions that it's a Beach Boys song, but the only BB present is Brian.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 07:12:03 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2009, 09:52:12 AM »

Brian is on more than Island Girl and In My Car for Still Cruisin. He's also on the tag for Make it Big.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2009, 10:47:44 AM »

I think wallabie meant the "(Barbie) Living Doll" flexi single that was released with the California Dream Barbie doll. That one mentions that it's a Beach Boys song, but the only BB present is Brian.

True indeed... but when someone asks me about "Daddie's Little Girl", that's the track I tend to reply about. I'm quirky like that.  Cheesy

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2009, 01:58:30 PM »

Or "Caroline No".

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2009, 04:46:09 PM »

If you read "The Wilson Project", Gary Usher gives an depth discussion of the Wipeout Recording session, as well as the days leading up to that.  Per that book, Brian, Mike, Al and Bruce were at that session in LA (of course, that doesn't necessarily mean all were represented in the final mix, I know).  Usher said that the song had poor production from the Fat Boys' end, but that Brian came in to the studio with all of the guys' vocal parts prepared, and that he (Usher) was surprisingly impressed with them (based upon his then day-to-day work with Brian).

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx