gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:31:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Good Timin': Live At Knebworth 1980
5 - 16 (25%)
4 - 22 (34.4%)
3 - 22 (34.4%)
2 - 4 (6.3%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Timin': Live At Knebworth 1980  (Read 46796 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2013, 10:43:30 PM »

I like this live album. Not one of my favourites but still.
ATM, the last time we'll ever hear Dennis's singing.
Also has the only officially released version of Dennis's "You Are So Beautiful".
I'll give this album a solid 3.5 out of 5.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2014, 03:26:38 PM »

4/5 A rockin good time. ! When you saw the BB live on a good nite it was bliss..
KDS
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2015, 12:03:38 PM »

Decent live album. 

I like having Brian, Mike, and Carl all sing a verse of Sloop John B.  That was a nice touch. 

I like hearing Dennis try to murder his drums during the California Girls intro. 

A nice live album, as it does capture a particular era of BB history. 

The only reason I gave it a 4 instead of 5 are these dreadful KTSA songs. 
pool_of_tears
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2015, 09:28:08 AM »

How about the title song? Why do you even name an album with a song title that is not on the album?

Well said.

It's a shame the complete show (warts and all), hasn't been released.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2016, 09:34:49 PM »

Decent live album. 

I like having Brian, Mike, and Carl all sing a verse of Sloop John B.  That was a nice touch. 

I like hearing Dennis try to murder his drums during the California Girls intro. 

I've never been wild about their version of School Days, but Keep the Summer Alive rocks, especially on this disc.
KDS
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2016, 05:19:47 AM »

Decent live album. 

I've never been wild about their version of School Days, but Keep the Summer Alive rocks, especially on this disc.

I will admit it's a lot better live.  But I think the studio version is pretty bad. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2016, 08:18:11 AM »

Decent live album. 

Check out the live version of "Keepin' the Summer Alive" from the Washington DC July 4, 1980 show (just a couple weeks after Knebworth). It's the best live version I've heard. Knebworth is okay, and any live version sounds better than the rather limp studio version).

I think the DC 1980 show is on YouTube. The versions taken from the Japanese DVD should look and sound pretty good.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2016, 09:47:16 AM »

By the way-this July 4 1980 performance was "fixed" prior to airing on TV. (as was Knebworth).  I have heard the unsweetened actual live version and the performances are a lot rougher!!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2016, 10:49:35 AM »

By the way-this July 4 1980 performance was "fixed" prior to airing on TV. (as was Knebworth).  I have heard the unsweetened actual live version and the performances are a lot rougher!!

Very true; the radio broadcast of that DC show is more raw and rough. I've probably, partly out of sentimentality/nostalgia, watched and listened to that show (both the original radio broadcast and the completed TV special) more than most any other, and I can say that, to my ear, the actual overdubs for the TV special were not that excessive.

The main overdubs I hear is an extra electric piano/keyboard, and some sweetened backing vocals in spots (the intro to "School Days" most obviously). But all of the lead vocals and main instrumentation are untouched. I think the main thing they did in post-production was to mix in to excise bad bits, and I would imagine the unsalvageable nature of certain performances (Brian's batteries running out mid-vocal on "Wouldn't It Be Nice", Al's momentary frog in his throat during "Lady Lynda", etc.) were what dictated which songs made the hour-long cut.

I wore out my original 1980 videotape of the HBO broadcast for eons, and then got a French Beach Boys fan to buy a Japanese DVD import at the Virgin Megastore (in Paris I believe), and it still blows my mind how good it looks, being that the show was shot on just normal SD videotape that is now 36 years old.

More trivia: I recall Alan Boyd telling me years and years ago that the raw footage from the concert was missing/lost, but I'm thinking in recent years they did find the raw footage, as a quick video-only clip of "California Girls" (not aired on TV) was used in a C50 TV ad.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx