gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:03:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Good Timin': Live At Knebworth 1980
5 - 16 (25%)
4 - 22 (34.4%)
3 - 22 (34.4%)
2 - 4 (6.3%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Timin': Live At Knebworth 1980  (Read 46746 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2006, 03:53:30 PM »

got it today, great show, and carl and Al really shine

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2006, 04:23:29 PM »

I feel like this is the last show where Brian looks like...Brian.

Regardless, its still some great music played by some great people. Loved every minute of it.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2006, 08:56:26 PM »

Musicians usually prefer playing new songs over songs they've already done a thousand times, so that could explain why Brian seems to be having so much fun during KTSA.

And I'm pretty sure Brian's piano is absolutely inaudible throughout the entire concert.
Then they must've turned it up when Mike Meros played it on "Lady Lynda" and "You Are So Beautiful". And I can distinctly hear Dennis's fast piano playing during "Help Me Rhonda".
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 07:06:21 AM by ascrodin » Logged

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2007, 07:06:19 PM »

This is really not a period of the BBs I'm a big fan on. But the fact that it is one of the last shows with all 6 members makes it above average. I gave it a 3.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2008, 08:40:46 AM »

Very enjoyable - the DVD in particular. Great to see everyone together again, even if the setlist is predictable.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2008, 11:42:26 PM »

I'd like to see a DVD release of the 11/72 Carnegie Hall show...the one that had small clips from it featured in Endless Harmony.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2008, 07:19:38 AM »

I'd like to see a DVD release of the 11/72 Carnegie Hall show...the one that had small clips from it featured in Endless Harmony.

If thats the one I'm thinking of - I think it's actually from An American Band isn't it? - then I'm pretty sure they only played like 5 songs. From what I have heard they only played Okie From Muskogee, Heroes And Villains, Forever, It's About Time and I Get Around.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2008, 07:33:07 AM »

The film in American Band is not from that show. In American Band the footage I believe you are referring to comes from a filmed May Day Rally show (May 1 1971-with Bruce, pre Blondie and Rickie) and the Central Park show from 71 that was broadcast as Good Vibrations from Central Park.  This is also where the live version of Forever comes from in that video. There is no footage of Blondie and Rickie in American Band, as far as I can recall they gloss over the whole period as if they never existed.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2008, 07:47:28 AM »

The film in American Band is not from that show. In American Band the footage I believe you are referring to comes from a filmed May Day Rally show (May 1 1971-with Bruce, pre Blondie and Rickie) and the Central Park show from 71 that was broadcast as Good Vibrations from Central Park.  This is also where the live version of Forever comes from in that video. There is no footage of Blondie and Rickie in American Band, as far as I can recall they gloss over the whole period as if they never existed.

Ahyes, that's the one. Thanks for the correction+info Ian!! Smiley
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2008, 10:44:34 AM »

I was talking about the one with snippets on Endless Harmony where Carl sings God Only Knows and Long Promised Road. The songs sure sound like the same ones on the boot of the show.

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2008, 05:16:15 PM »

Either way, some archival video on DVD would be a dream.
MBE
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2008, 09:05:59 PM »

I think only fragments Dennis had filmed exist. It's kind of like the Hawaii 67 show where you have to edit a lot of things together to get one song. It wasn't a pro shot show that had complete songs.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2008, 09:40:30 PM »

Surely they professionally filmed at least one show with the Blondie/Ricky lineup?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2008, 01:59:51 AM »

Yes they did but it's a mini set. It's from London 1972 and parts of it should be on youtube
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2008, 03:50:25 PM »

Those snippets from Endless Harmony weren't professionally filmed?
Did they sync up the audio of the show with the shots from Dennis' camera or something?

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2008, 10:08:33 AM »

Good but not great. The band is really functioning, but the choice of material is not that adventurous. Two remarks:
- Mike totally ruins a great Lady Lynda when he belts out 'A-A-A-L J-A-A-A-R-D-I-I-I-N-E!!!' at the end. It betrays a total lack of taste.
- Dennis just is too far gone already, as 'You Are So Beautiful' painfully shows.

3 out of 5 then.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2008, 02:54:38 PM »

- Mike totally ruins a great Lady Lynda when he belts out 'A-A-A-L J-A-A-A-R-D-I-I-I-N-E!!!' at the end. It betrays a total lack of taste.

Funny thing happens when you listen to the live version of something more than the studio... you get used to the differences in the live version. Whenever I listen to LA, without that "A-A-A-L J-A-A-A-R-D-I-I-I-N-E!!!" and the repeated chorus, it seems empty. Same thing with I Get Around. I have maybe 30 or 40 live versions of I Get Around on my computer, and listening to the studio version, with the fadeout instead of the "I get a-ROUND!" cold ending is like someone turned the song off before it was over.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2009, 09:04:07 PM »

I gave this a 4 even though I don't own it. That is to say I bought the dvd and have an mp3 copy of the album. Very cool show and yes Brian is actually playing on "God Only Knows" (I know because I am a pianist myself and play the song too). Dennis is solid in his "first" set but noticeably sloppy drunk for the ending set. I do prefer the 1971-1973 shows better myself but still prefer this concert to basically anything after.
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2010, 02:45:19 PM »

For me, the highlights of this set are:

• Lady Lynda
  • Brian's "cameo" vocals on "Sloop John B." and "Surfer Girl"
  • Dennis Wilson in general.

Other than that, it's not their greatest performance. Mike was not in very good voice and some of the songs come off under-rehearsed. Granted, it is a rather nice to have ALL the original guys performing together and it is a high energy show despite the rain.

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2011, 11:33:22 AM »

Gave it a 4. The guys are really rocking and it just boosts out of your stereo. "Fun fun fun" for example is unbelievable. Dennis and Carl just letting it go before the intro. I really dig it and a big part is Dennis' drumming which is incredible powerful. Must've been a thrill to hear him live.
Bootlegs show that Brian did sing, for example on the ending of "California girls" but I don't know how often during the whole oncert he is singing. His mic also seems to be mixed very low.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2011, 09:59:34 AM »

I honestly think the "outtakes" of this concert should be mixed and released...basically Some of Your Love, I Write the Songs, Santa Ana Winds, and In My Room

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2011, 10:30:17 AM »

How about the title song? Why do you even name an album with a song title that is not on the album?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2011, 02:53:25 PM »

How about the title song? Why do you even name an album with a song title that is not on the album?
Oh yeah, good call! I forgot.
I think it's because a line got flubbed up. Was it Brian?
I think he was singing a part that's not on the studio cut; it's an echo of Carl's vocal on the chorus...I think he sang "he needs good timin'" instead of "You need good timin'"....but I think it sounds fine.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2012, 09:49:54 PM »

Here it is on You Tube (poor picture quality but very decent audio) and it's fantastic.  Carl and Brian are really putting their all into their vocals.  It is very strange that it wasn't on the album or the DVD.  It might be the best version I've heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rf59cqgPGE

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2012, 11:14:37 AM »

Here it is on You Tube (poor picture quality but very decent audio) and it's fantastic.  Carl and Brian are really putting their all into their vocals.  It is very strange that it wasn't on the album or the DVD.  It might be the best version I've heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rf59cqgPGE

Had this one uploaded on my channel many years ago... until it got blocked. Nice to see someone else grabbed it and uploaded it again (as it's obviously exactly the edit I made from my old vhs video).

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx