gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:48:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Check THIS Out...  (Read 12228 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2009, 06:57:25 AM »

Mr Roach, thanks for that bit of info. I hope you aren't too offended that I posted your film in this topic. Although it might be a little late for that.  Embarrassed I wonder, do you remember how much film you shot at that, or other concerts from that period? Would it be enough to say, compile a nice little box set?  Wink

Strange to have to say, but I'm pretty certain I didn't shoot this!  I could be wrong; a lot of my 3/4" videos disappeared under nefarious circumstances, when there was a certain shady road manager.  I've come across bootleg versions of entire shows that I shot - usually in much better quality than this piece, though (ahem).  But I don't recall Brian 'rocking out' for too many songs that night, and think I was shooting those stills I mentioned at that same time.  (The shots are b&w in David's book, but they are these vibrant color slides!)
Most of what I have, that I own, is 16mm silent film.  Except for some sync sound things, like The River Song.  However, to clear music licenses for something like you propose is beyond me...  It seems to be beyond most mortals...

Then just put out the silent versions...with today's technology, most of us could sync up sound from live concert recordings in our...ahem...collections...for the sole purpose of our individual entertainment in the privacy of our own homes... Smokin
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2009, 07:19:39 AM »

How about THIS spectacle from '83?  A few months after Landy's return, so definitely no coke HERE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbLx5Y5zRww
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2009, 07:24:38 AM »

This thread begs an interesting question...what will be Brian's onstage role in any "50 Year Anniversary" concert or tour?  He can't sit at an unplayed keyboard and sing lead on songs like "California Girls" as he does now, since Mike will be singing that, and it would look kinda dumb for him to be just sitting there not playing OR singing.  Will he play the piano nonstop and rarely sing as he did in 1980?  Will he play the bass and/or dance like he did in 1978, 1983 and the "Surfin' U.S.A." clip from 2009?  Just wondering.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2009, 07:30:09 AM »

How about THIS spectacle from '83?  A few months after Landy's return, so definitely no coke HERE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbLx5Y5zRww

No, but hardly an absence of chemical enhancements. I know we were talking a little about that in the youtube thread. That minute mark...that's a happy Brian.

As for his role, I'd think they'd set him behind a keyboard because that would be one of his requirements for doing it: he's not going to stand, at least for any period of time. On songs he's not singing a prominent part, he'll theoretically play, whether it's audible or (realistically) not.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2009, 07:37:06 AM »

This thread begs an interesting question...what will be Brian's onstage role in any "50 Year Anniversary" concert or tour?  He can't sit at an unplayed keyboard and sing lead on songs like "California Girls" as he does now, since Mike will be singing that, and it would look kinda dumb for him to be just sitting there not playing OR singing.  Will he play the piano nonstop and rarely sing as he did in 1980?  Will he play the bass and/or dance like he did in 1978, 1983 and the "Surfin' U.S.A." clip from 2009?  Just wondering.

Good questions. I would like to see Brian given an "area" on stage with a variety of instruments that he could play at random. Give him a piano, an organ, a bass, a tambourine (?), and just a seat/with teleprompter behind a piano (like he's doing now) for his lead vocals. I'm not saying overwhelm him with all those possibilities, but give him choices, or options, that he could employ. If he chooses to just stand on stage behind a microphone (a la Dennis in the early 70's), that'd be fine too, just as long as he's there.
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2009, 02:57:45 PM »

And who says he doesn't dance anymore? Check out the 30-second mark for some trademarked BW moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tkkdWCsBEA&NR=1

Oh wow! This is a real treat seriously..this is how I would like to see Brian more:) I dont think I've ever seen him standing at new shows with an insturment other then the keyboard.

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2009, 03:21:17 PM »

Well, I think the 2009 clip actually looks pretty good.  You guys remember he is 67 YEARS OLD, right...?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2009, 04:28:09 PM »

Here's a clip of Be My Baby from 1999, he suddenly gets up at 2:30 and does a little dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsqqBvge4DU&feature=related

The sight of Joe Thomas makes me a little uncomfortable, tho. And also notice that Steve Dahl isn't even making an attempt to strum the acoustic!

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2009, 06:46:29 PM »

If he's given a bass, do you think he can "actively" play it, as long as he doesn't sing? I think that the belief is that Brian can no longer concentrate on two things at once(singing and playing). What I'm really interested in is whether Brian will "come out", so to speak, if he shares the stage with Al and Mike.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2009, 06:49:47 PM »

Mr Roach, thanks for that bit of info. I hope you aren't too offended that I posted your film in this topic. Although it might be a little late for that.  Embarrassed I wonder, do you remember how much film you shot at that, or other concerts from that period? Would it be enough to say, compile a nice little box set?  Wink

Strange to have to say, but I'm pretty certain I didn't shoot this!  I could be wrong; a lot of my 3/4" videos disappeared under nefarious circumstances, when there was a certain shady road manager.  I've come across bootleg versions of entire shows that I shot - usually in much better quality than this piece, though (ahem).  But I don't recall Brian 'rocking out' for too many songs that night, and think I was shooting those stills I mentioned at that same time.  (The shots are b&w in David's book, but they are these vibrant color slides!)
Most of what I have, that I own, is 16mm silent film.  Except for some sync sound things, like The River Song.  However, to clear music licenses for something like you propose is beyond me...  It seems to be beyond most mortals...

Then just put out the silent versions...with today's technology, most of us could sync up sound from live concert recordings in our...ahem...collections...for the sole purpose of our individual entertainment in the privacy of our own homes... Smokin
A-f#cking-men.  Grin

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2009, 06:51:57 PM »

And who says he doesn't dance anymore? Check out the 30-second mark for some trademarked BW moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tkkdWCsBEA&NR=1
This is slightly off topic, but Taylor Mills is a real hoot.  LOL

jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2009, 08:32:22 PM »

I really enjoyed that "Runaway" video from 1983.  Brian's having a good time, definitely.  I didn't know they performed this song.  Also, the 1st time I've seen Brian share a mic like that.  The performance didn't seem too rehearsed, just on the fly, which I like.  Watching Brian dance & clap along, what can I say?  Awkward, fun, quirky, but quintessential Brian.  Another reason why I love the BB & Brian.

Going back to some of the earlier posts, this clip is something I kinda wish "Joe Public" could watch instead of all the tv appearances Brian's made since the late '90s where he just sits at the keyboard & sings here & there.  I know, because if I watched Brian on tv without knowing his history & the BB, I would wonder what's all the fuss about.  Even though I'm glad he's physically better today, it's still pretty cool to see clips like "Runaway" where he's happy to be onstage & having a ball, &  the audience knows it, too.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 08:34:18 PM by jeremylr » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2009, 10:34:04 PM »

You guys remember he is 67 YEARS OLD, right...?

Yep - a year older than Mick Jagger.  Definitely enjoyed the performance, but the highlight of this video for me is Taylor Mills' legs!
Nicko1234
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2009, 10:35:05 PM »

Maybe your're not, but maybe some are. claymcc, it's fine that you're not saddened by Brian's current state; that's great. It's much more fun to celebrate Brian than to dwell on his shortcomings. But, the reality is that some people ARE saddened - to varying degrees. And maybe "saddened" or depressed isn't the best term to use; maybe longing for something more, something different. That's perfectly normal; people do it all the time, especially with aging rockers. And, those people don't need to defend themselves (or Brian), or explain their feelings, or be told the way they're SUPPOSED to feel.

I think it's perfectly normal, and probably more prevalent than fans are willing to admit, that there is a tinge of sadness when seeing Brian live. Yeah, you walk away excited, and grateful (that he's still around and you saw him), and rejuvinated. But, if most fans are honest, there's that tinge of sadness, a wish that maybe he would've played the piano, maybe sing less bass parts, maybe got out of his seat, maybe interacted with his band, maybe talked more to the audience, maybe not looked bored, etc. And fans shouldn't have to apologize for that. It's called being human.

I think that sums it up pretty well.

I can completely understand people saying it`s remarkable that Brian is still alive at all and that he is able to get up onstage after years of being unable to.

But I think it`s also fair to say that Brian is forgiven for more than most performers. I would say that it`s a pretty basic demand of a singer that they (at least pretend to) want to be on stage and don`t check their watch. Also that the band don`t have to ask for the singer`s voice to be turned down in the mix and that they can remember most of the words of their songs (I`ve heard boots where in spite of the autocue Brian has still had to doo-doo-doo through entire verses). A video from last year in which the mix was bad showed that he did the same thing through a lot of the harmonies too.

I would also like to believe that Brian chooses the setlist himself and picked the tracks for the Beach Boys Classics CD too...but I can`t unfortunately.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2009, 11:17:16 PM »

Have you seen or heard Dylan recently? Talk about forgiven. He also uses lyrics sheets now, btw.

And talk about reading too much into Brian one way or another. Why does checking his watch have such mythical significance? He wants to know what time it is. He's done it nearly since the beginning of his touring career. So what?

As for turning BW down in the mix, and him botching entire verses -- never heard of that. Not saying it hasn't even happened, but you state it as if it's standard practice. I've seen him personally five times since 2000, heard many other performances -- never heard it, never seen it. If anything, he's always been turned up in the mix when I've seen him.

And bringing up the BB Classics CD -- I'd like to believe that Bob Dylan personally sequenced Biograph, too. I don't see what that has to do with anything.

Finally, I'm glad that setlists have outside input. Otherwise, we'd never hear any rarities.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 11:46:06 PM by claymcc » Logged
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2009, 11:37:06 PM »

As for turning BW down in the mix, and him botching entire verses -- never heard of that. Not saying it hasn't even happened, but you state it as if it's standard practice. I've seen him personally five times since 2000, heard many performances -- never heard it, never seen it. If anything, he's always been turned up in the mix when I've seen him.

Well said, I agree with most of what you say. I've seen Brian three times (I know, nowhere near as much as some people) and each time I could hear him fine and I don't remember him botching entire verses either. He might forget the odd word or two but I can forgive him for that. And every so often he might change the odd word here and there but so do lots of artists when they perform live.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 11:38:01 PM by mikeyj » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2009, 12:37:37 AM »

Have you seen or heard Dylan recently? Talk about forgiven. He also uses lyrics sheets now, btw.

That`s why I said most performers.

And talk about reading too much into Brian one way or another. Why does checking his watch have such mythical significance? He wants to know what time it is. He's done it nearly since the beginning of his touring career. So what?

That was an example. When I saw Brian in concert it was blatantly obvious that he didn`t want to be on stage. Most people didn`t seem to care which is up to them but it made it unpleasant viewing for me. Each to their own.

And bringing up the BB Classics CD -- I'd like to believe that Bob Dylan personally sequenced Biograph, too. I don't see what that has to do with anything.

The CD was advertised that he had personally selected the tracks. Now I personally don`t believe that and, to me at least, that`s a shame. The reason I mention it is simply because I wish that Brian actually did still have the abilities and responsibilities that his management team try to convince people that he has. Many people probably believe he does and I can respect their opinion.

Finally, I'm glad that setlists have outside input. Otherwise, we'd never hear any rarities.

Not sure why we wouldn`t hear any rarities but again it`s all about opinions.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2009, 06:58:16 AM »

Yeah, I knew someone would bring up Jagger.  To be more fair, compare Brian to a REGULAR 67 year old, like your grandfather...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:17:57 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2009, 08:15:34 AM »

Perhaps I'm on thin ice here but the REAL comparison with how Brian is today would be the brief resurgence in the 90s of classical pianist David Helfgott (whose story is the movie "Shine").

Now THERE was a guy who really needed to be led around by his ever-patient wife just to function.  And if you think people are apologetic for Brian, you should have seen the people who went to Helfgott's concerts.  As I understand it those performances were very hit-or-miss affairs, much more so than Brian checking his watch on a bad day.  From that standpoint Brian is doing OK, at least most of the time.

Yes it is sad to see the failings, as it is with all these aging boomer rockers, and I acknowledge them.  But in Brian's case I would add another variable, which I have now seen a couple of times: every now and then, however briefly, his old laser-beam focus re-emerges, and when it does it is exhilirating (and scary) to behold.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2009, 12:41:48 PM »

Perhaps I'm on thin ice here but the REAL comparison with how Brian is today would be the brief resurgence in the 90s of classical pianist David Helfgott (whose story is the movie "Shine").

Now THERE was a guy who really needed to be led around by his ever-patient wife just to function.  And if you think people are apologetic for Brian, you should have seen the people who went to Helfgott's concerts.  As I understand it those performances were very hit-or-miss affairs, much more so than Brian checking his watch on a bad day.  From that standpoint Brian is doing OK, at least most of the time.

Yes it is sad to see the failings, as it is with all these aging boomer rockers, and I acknowledge them.  But in Brian's case I would add another variable, which I have now seen a couple of times: every now and then, however briefly, his old laser-beam focus re-emerges, and when it does it is exhilirating (and scary) to behold.

Not skating on thin ice at all...I made the same point a decade ago on the Wheeler board. Difference is, Brian was in better shape when I said that compared to now.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:42:43 PM by Billy Castillo » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2009, 01:35:36 PM »

How, Billy? How was he in better shape in 1999 as opposed to 2009? Besides being 10 years older. The main difference I can see from then to now is that he's recorded four more solo albums and no longer is creatively entangled with Joe Thomas.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2009, 03:00:49 PM »

A good friend of mine, whose name you'd know, once told me that he thought that each live show took something out of Brian. "Every time I meet him, there's a little less 'Brian' there".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2009, 04:11:36 PM »

A good friend of mine, whose name you'd know, once told me that he thought that each live show took something out of Brian. "Every time I meet him, there's a little less 'Brian' there".

It's interesting, AGD.

People post perfectly logical, thoughtful, and articulate comments about Brian Wilson; a dose of reality if you will. And, they're often met with criticism, sarcasm, and name-calling. Then you, AGD, come on either agreeing with the former posts, sometimes even defending them, and there's SILENCE. Your above post is a perfect example....
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 04:16:38 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2009, 04:29:31 PM »

Probably because when AGD says things, it's often coming from sources who would know or his own first-hand knowledge, whereas most of us here are either just guessing, observing from afar, or hearing from someone who heard from someone who thinks he heard that someone once said something (or something like that).

Though plenty of people disregard Andrew's posts, too, even when they're perfectly accurate--especially when they mess with their already-set caricatures.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2009, 04:32:41 PM »

Probably because when AGD says things, it's often coming from sources who would know or his own first-hand knowledge, whereas most of us here are either just guessing, observing from afar, or hearing from someone who heard from someone who thinks he heard that someone once said something (or something like that).

Though plenty of people disregard Andrew's posts, too, even when they're perfectly accurate--especially when they mess with their already-set caricatures.

Oh, I know WHY; I guess my post/point was more or less rhetorical.... Wink
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx