gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 07:30:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Check THIS Out...  (Read 12230 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: September 04, 2009, 05:01:03 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1EPXBQV3yM&feature=related

What a FREAK show!  If the Boys DO reunite for a 50-year "reunion" tour, they've GOT to do THIS song, and Brian & Mike HAVE to do THESE moves!  Evil
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 05:03:54 PM »

Brian would break a hip.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 05:08:55 PM »

Holy mackerel. Exhibit A on why it's better to have an immobile Brian at shows. We have seen the alternative!
Wilsonista
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 05:25:28 PM »

Holy mackerel. Exhibit A on why it's better to have an immobile Brian at shows. We have seen the alternative!

It amazes me that people prefer a cocaine-fried Brian over the current Brian. Looking at that clip, you can just smell the coke!
SG7
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 08:01:40 PM »

That is the roller skating child I like. Totally punk rock vibe to that haha. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 08:04:09 PM »

Compare this video to the 1978 one. I'd much rather have a 1978 Brian than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neZaQInFTaw&feature=related

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 08:15:23 PM »

Compare this video to the 1978 one. I'd much rather have a 1978 Brian than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neZaQInFTaw&feature=related

Granted, if you'd had more of the 1978 Brian going forward as he was, you wouldn't have to make a choice. Nobody would have seen a 2009 Brian.

Oh, look at the funny, cute fat guy. Watch him die of his heart attack. Haha, get it?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 08:33:01 PM »

Nobody's advocating or desiring an overweight, drug addicted, poor-dancing Brian. That's not even close to the point of people comparing the past and present Brian.

It's all about energy - comparing a Brian who was active on stage, showing some kind of life, actually PLAYING music, as opposed to a sedentary, robotic, karaoke-like figure. I mean, jeesh, it's just comparing the two videos, the images....
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 09:07:12 PM »

But when one leads to the other, I can't see how you would separate them. Nobody's advocating anorexia, we just like the really skinny girls.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 09:22:24 PM »

Exactly, Luther.

The whole point of why the dancing, running around Brian is so freaky is that it is totally unlike the way Brian had ever been before or after that point. That is a performer who is in the process of self-destructing. It is funny, yes, but in in a terrible way.

The recent performance of Brian in Berlin is perfectly fine. Not inspirational, but certainly not disturbing. It's an older man on stage, singing a song he's sung many times, and looking a little bored. But he's reasonably in tune and hits all of the lyrics. Sure, in terms of entertainment value, it's a snooze.

But I would rather watch this Brian -- content if medicated -- than the flaming trainwreck of the late 70s.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 09:30:03 PM »

And who says he doesn't dance anymore? Check out the 30-second mark for some trademarked BW moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tkkdWCsBEA&NR=1
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 09:33:40 PM »

Back when Brian started touring in 1999 up until I think 2002, he did "Barbara Ann" standing up with a microphone dancing around the stage. Does anyone rememer this? A clip of a very enthused Brian is on the Brian on Tour DVD.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 09:40:17 PM »

It's just stating a preference of a certain style, not examining how he got there. No need to go that deep. Not comparing the cocaine of yesterday to the medication that Brian's taking today. It's "wishing" or fanatasing if you will. It's like hearing a singer like Dylan or even Brian in 1966 and thinking, "I prefer THAT voice to the present one". Sure, it ain't gonna happen, but that's not the point of the statement. It's not addressing WHY the voices aren't the same. But, I guess it is, to some extent, longing for some of the past, without the warts. We're not that ignorant to ignore the cause of the warts.

BTW, it's entirely possible that cocaine was not driving Brian's "dancing". He was playing the bass, out from behind the piano, maybe he was just feeling "free" and felt like dancing. I've seen him do it on numerous 1963-64 videos, however somewhat more gracefully. Cheesy
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 10:17:39 PM »

Even if Brian was on tons of drugs/playing bass/feeling free, he still wouldn't be acting like that today. He's old.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 11:01:52 PM »

Funny thing is, I can testify that there was no cocaine involved here.  Trust me, even Dennis had sense enough not to spoil a beautiful time like this in Hawaii with a that damn drug; not  in '78, when he was still capable of making some wise moves.  (I say this 'cause you can check out some stills of mine from that show in David Leaf's book, bottom of pg. 187.)  Now Maui Wowie, maybe.....
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 11:18:04 PM »

It's all about energy - comparing a Brian who was active on stage, showing some kind of life, actually PLAYING music, as opposed to a sedentary, robotic, karaoke-like figure. I mean, jeesh, it's just comparing the two videos, the images....

Hell yeah. I just don't understand how the sight of 2009 Brian doesn't depress the hell out of anyone.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 11:27:46 PM »

Nobody's advocating or desiring an overweight, drug addicted, poor-dancing Brian. That's not even close to the point of people comparing the past and present Brian.

You nailed it. Look at him in the first few seconds of that clip. Right before he does the weird "round and around" motion, he's dancing and hopping away. Enjoying himself, and the uptempo song he's playing with his group. THAT is the Brian I want to see now. Not the guy who sits still in front of an unplugged keyboard, periodically looking at his watch.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 11:32:44 PM »

Funny thing is, I can testify that there was no cocaine involved here.  Trust me, even Dennis had sense enough not to spoil a beautiful time like this in Hawaii with a that damn drug; not  in '78, when he was still capable of making some wise moves.  (I say this 'cause you can check out some stills of mine from that show in David Leaf's book, bottom of pg. 187.)  Now Maui Wowie, maybe.....
Mr Roach, thanks for that bit of info. I hope you aren't too offended that I posted your film in this topic. Although it might be a little late for that.  Embarrassed I wonder, do you remember how much film you shot at that, or other concerts from that period? Would it be enough to say, compile a nice little box set?  Wink

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 11:38:10 PM »

Hell yeah. I just don't understand how the sight of 2009 Brian doesn't depress the hell out of anyone.

Agreed. Sadly, he reminds me of my father in his last 5-10 years or so. Even kinda looks like him, and that's freaky.

That said...the 2nd 2009 clip was much better. You can tell when he's dogging it and when he's not.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2009, 12:51:36 AM »

Mr Roach, thanks for that bit of info. I hope you aren't too offended that I posted your film in this topic. Although it might be a little late for that.  Embarrassed I wonder, do you remember how much film you shot at that, or other concerts from that period? Would it be enough to say, compile a nice little box set?  Wink

Strange to have to say, but I'm pretty certain I didn't shoot this!  I could be wrong; a lot of my 3/4" videos disappeared under nefarious circumstances, when there was a certain shady road manager.  I've come across bootleg versions of entire shows that I shot - usually in much better quality than this piece, though (ahem).  But I don't recall Brian 'rocking out' for too many songs that night, and think I was shooting those stills I mentioned at that same time.  (The shots are b&w in David's book, but they are these vibrant color slides!)
Most of what I have, that I own, is 16mm silent film.  Except for some sync sound things, like The River Song.  However, to clear music licenses for something like you propose is beyond me...  It seems to be beyond most mortals...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2009, 01:30:24 AM »

What's there to be depressed about? He is a 67 year old man -- diagnosed as schizoaffective bipolar -- who tours and plays his music with a band he loves for people who pay to hear it.

What's wrong with that?

Am I supposed to be depressed that he's old? It happens to the best of us.

Am I supposed to be depressed that he's mentally ill? A lot of people are, and he's ultimately dealed with it better than most.

Am I supposed to be depressed because the "dark forces" behind him are making him do things he doesn't want to do? If there were really sinister, "dark forces" behind him, they would make him sing on key more often. If his tours don't make money (confirmed), and if he's not always the best performer in the world (confirmed), then why would the tours go on? Because "dark forces" believe Brian benefits from them. And maybe because he likes to do them.

The fact is, Brian is who he is. And he's never been big on hiding it. That makes some people uncomfortable, including a vocal subset of folks here, who can't accept that music they love, that is so important to them, is being played and warbled by a impassive, sedated old guy. They want Brian to be cool and mysterious and avant garde. And he hasn't been that for awhile.

No, I'm not depressed when I see the Brian of today. I am impressed by his fortitude. And his incredible hair.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 01:36:18 AM by claymcc » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2009, 04:43:54 AM »

The fact is, Brian is who he is.

Is he? Or is he what people tell him to be?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2009, 05:23:16 AM »

And his incredible hair.

Grin

The fact is, Brian is who he is.

Is he? Or is he what people tell him to be?

If his people tell him to be a 'sedentary, kareoke robot like figure', the managment situation is worse than we've thought.
To be honest, he doesn't look like a man being pressured to do anything except sit behind his keyboard a few nights a year on unprofitable touring and be asked about Pet Sounds by the occasional journalist because his wife believes (presumably with some advice from a psychiatrist) that it does him some good. We're hardly talking Landy type exploitation, are we?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2009, 05:37:50 AM »

I think we should not project all sorts of ideas and fantasies onto Brian Wilson's current state. He is 67. He lost his beloved brothers, who died young. He was taken into court more times than I can remember. He battled severe depression. He thought he had the right doctor for a long time, and this did not happen to be true.

A bit of realism is in order. It is a miracle that he is still with us.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2009, 06:46:18 AM »

What's there to be depressed about?

Am I supposed to be depressed that he's old?

Am I supposed to be depressed that he's mentally ill?

Am I supposed to be depressed because the "dark forces" behind him are making him do things he doesn't want to do?

No, I'm not depressed when I see the Brian of today.

Maybe your're not, but maybe some are. claymcc, it's fine that you're not saddened by Brian's current state; that's great. It's much more fun to celebrate Brian than to dwell on his shortcomings. But, the reality is that some people ARE saddened - to varying degrees. And maybe "saddened" or depressed isn't the best term to use; maybe longing for something more, something different. That's perfectly normal; people do it all the time, especially with aging rockers. And, those people don't need to defend themselves (or Brian), or explain their feelings, or be told the way they're SUPPOSED to feel.

I think it's perfectly normal, and probably more prevalent than fans are willing to admit, that there is a tinge of sadness when seeing Brian live. Yeah, you walk away excited, and grateful (that he's still around and you saw him), and rejuvinated. But, if most fans are honest, there's that tinge of sadness, a wish that maybe he would've played the piano, maybe sing less bass parts, maybe got out of his seat, maybe interacted with his band, maybe talked more to the audience, maybe not looked bored, etc. And fans shouldn't have to apologize for that. It's called being human.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx