gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 06:50:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BW BB Piano sound  (Read 3942 times)
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2009, 12:35:05 AM »

That piano sound from the mid to late 60s, like on The Wild Honey album (Let the Wind Blow) - how did he get that piano sound?  It sounds like some sort of effect has been applied to it, but I can't for the life of me think what it is.  It's such a distinctive sound (and no, I'm not thinking of a tack piano).

Does anyone know?
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 02:03:53 AM »

Simple.  Brian had a piano in his house that was out of tune.  I believe the story goes that he told the piano tuner exactly how he wanted it tuned, and this was the end result.  I believe the brand of the piano is a Chickering (sp?).

What I found particularly fascinating is a boot featuring a reel-to-reel tape recorded by the Wilson brothers as kids... this is the tape with the Surfin' demos and such.  The piano featured on this tape is out of tune in nearly the same fashion as Brian's circa 1967 piano.  Perhaps this is the sound that Brian grew up with, and he purposely sought to replicate it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 02:06:01 AM by Shane » Logged
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 07:47:56 AM »

Also, it's an upright - most studios use grands.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 10:30:35 AM »

Simple.  Brian had a piano in his house that was out of tune.  I believe the story goes that he told the piano tuner exactly how he wanted it tuned, and this was the end result.  I believe the brand of the piano is a Chickering (sp?).

There's a take of "Can't Wait Too Long", with Brian solo at the piano, that has Brian saying:  "This piano is so terrible!  God, I hate it!"  I wonder what piano that was.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 12:18:11 PM »

Brian has a really distinct style too.  There's a clip on youtube of the band playing in the Netherlands in 1980.  The guy is right by Brian's monitor and you can hear his piano loud and clear.  Not only is he playing well but it gives the songs a very distinctive "Beach Boys" vibe that I associate with Brian.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 01:42:29 PM »

Brian has a really distinct style too.  There's a clip on youtube of the band playing in the Netherlands in 1980.  The guy is right by Brian's monitor and you can hear his piano loud and clear.  Not only is he playing well but it gives the songs a very distinctive "Beach Boys" vibe that I associate with Brian.

You mean these clips?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSVUpfpmjuk&feature=channel_page

I agree, Brian has a very distinctive sound, whose rhythm is based in rock'n'roll. The harmonies, though, come from a different place. I really love hearing him play....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 04:12:39 PM »

Yup, those are the ones.  That's a fascinating string of videos.
mtaber
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 06:59:15 PM »

Great stuff... I wish I could just sit and watch/listen to Brian play the piano for hours and hours...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 07:12:09 PM »

I agree, Brian has a very distinctive sound, whose rhythm is based in rock'n'roll. The harmonies, though, come from a different place. I really love hearing him play....

Absolutely. His playing is in some ways like a guitarist strumming chords--he rarely arpeggiates things. And there's nothing fleet-fingered or virtuosic about his playing at all. But I think when people say the Beach Boys took Four Freshmen harmonies and sang them over Chuck Berry, they are missing something: Brian's piano playing does that same thing all on its own.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 07:15:21 PM »

What I found particularly fascinating is a boot featuring a reel-to-reel tape recorded by the Wilson brothers as kids... this is the tape with the Surfin' demos and such.  The piano featured on this tape is out of tune in nearly the same fashion as Brian's circa 1967 piano.  Perhaps this is the sound that Brian grew up with, and he purposely sought to replicate it.
i'm not so sure that it's just an out of tune piano. Listen to the piano on "Let The Wind Blow". It's a real distinct, "thick" sound. It has a big echo, to the point where it almost vibrates through the whole piano. I have never heard any other musician or group that has that certain piano sound. It's one of the reasons why I love the studio work of The Beach Boys.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 07:52:58 PM »

Interesting, thanks for the replies.  I figured from the sound that it was an upright.  Being slightly out of tune would explain the vague chorus like effect I was hearing.  I've wondered if a lot of compression was used on the piano (like the Bee Gees used on their early albums, particularly I've Gotta Get  A Message).
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 03:52:57 AM »

Has anyone ever attempted to make a Reason refill of something resembling this piano?  I'd love to have something like that...
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 04:07:42 AM »

I am thinking Tennessee Waltz right now. Don't know why.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 07:06:36 AM »

Also, it's an upright - most studios use grands.

I think it's a grand on some of the home studio stuff like "Let The Wind Blow", but Bruce did say that HE played an upright on the studio recording of "Disney Girls", and that was cut at Brian's.  Dave Marks recalls that Brian used at upright on all the early Western Recorders stuff ("Catch A Wave", etc.).
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 04:23:01 PM »

i'm not so sure that it's just an out of tune piano. Listen to the piano on "Let The Wind Blow". It's a real distinct, "thick" sound. It has a big echo, to the point where it almost vibrates through the whole piano. I have never heard any other musician or group that has that certain piano sound. It's one of the reasons why I love the studio work of The Beach Boys.

I love the bass-sounds that Brian gets from a piano (and Dennis too for that matter, never heard a pianoperformance by Carl). I always wondered how they sound as thick (like you said). Then I tried to play the bassnotes in two octaves, like a C' and a C and that came pretty near. It's not that easy for me though to hit the right keys everytime when you change to other notes.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 10:59:21 PM »

Then I tried to play the bassnotes in two octaves, like a C' and a C and that came pretty near.

I'm an amateur player that just picks up by watching other people, but I thought that was a fairly standard way to play? I think he picked it up from boogie woogie, because they use that style of left handing playing a lot, although they employed it differently than Brian did. The trick is to let those notes sustain a lot. You have to listen to the decay closely so that you can repeat them in a way that maximizes the droning aspect of it. Brian's left hand playing really is kind of droning, which gives it a hypnotic effect. The bass notes always seem to be swelling beneath the chords, filling out the sound space.

I've actually found that most keyboards "honky tonk" setting, tuned real low, gives a very rough approximation of that Wild Honey piano sound. And sure enough, I read later in an interview with Scott Bennett that the honky tonk setting was Brian's favorite on the keyboard and that he used it constantly during the making of That Lucky Old Sun. Interesting stuff.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 06:04:44 AM »

Then I tried to play the bassnotes in two octaves, like a C' and a C and that came pretty near.

I'm an amateur player that just picks up by watching other people, but I thought that was a fairly standard way to play?

I'm also just an amateur, and I always thought you'd play just the one note. That's why I tried it, when I wanted a sound closer to the fat one Brian has

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 09:05:58 AM »

I love the bass-sounds that Brian gets from a piano (and Dennis too for that matter, never heard a pianoperformance by Carl). I always wondered how they sound as thick (like you said). Then I tried to play the bassnotes in two octaves, like a C' and a C and that came pretty near. It's not that easy for me though to hit the right keys everytime when you change to other notes.

I'll bet you've heard some Carl piano performances without knowing it...he played piano on lots of stuff (sometimes electric, sometimes acoustic, sometimes both), like Long Promised Road, Feel Flows, Trader, probably Leaving This Town and the live versions of Surf's Up, Wild Honey, and probably Let The Wind Blow.  Also apparently Carl played the piano on Keepin ' The Summer Alive (the studio version).
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 11:21:02 AM »

That video from the Netherlands is fascinating!  I never realized that Brian actually umm... played the piano at concerts during this time period.  I always thought they never bothered to mike his piano.

I could be wrong about this, but I always figured the piano at Brian's house which was used for all those "home studio" albums was the same one Brian was playing in the Surf's Up video... in the video, it sounds out of tune as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDy3kcZfpEY
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 11:42:07 AM »

This is a little OT, but does anyone know how long the Baldwin organ lasted in the Wilson household?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 12:41:30 PM »

I'll bet you've heard some Carl piano performances without knowing it...he played piano on lots of stuff (sometimes electric, sometimes acoustic, sometimes both), like Long Promised Road, Feel Flows, Trader, probably Leaving This Town and the live versions of Surf's Up, Wild Honey, and probably Let The Wind Blow.  Also apparently Carl played the piano on Keepin ' The Summer Alive (the studio version).

Yeah, absolutely, what I meant though was solo-piano performances. Sorry for being unclear

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 06:04:49 PM »

He also plays on All This is That, at least live.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx