gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 04:35:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guitar on Carl's solo albums  (Read 2456 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: September 02, 2009, 11:18:13 AM »

I know the Beach Boys are known for occasionally not playing on their own albums. Does this apply to Carl's solo stuff as well?? There's some pretty cool guitar playing on some of those songs.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:56:49 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 12:17:04 PM »

probably Skunk Baxter on Youngblood

Watson, did you hear this?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 01:14:02 PM »

Carl was one of the guitar players on his two soloalbums. I don't know how many solos he did play though. I'd guess the one on "Rockin' all over the wolrd" is his, because he also did that live.

Does anybody know about "Like a brother"?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jason
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 03:20:54 PM »

Carl played no solos, unless the little Chuck Berry-like intro on Rockin' All Over the World is a "solo". As someone who DOES play guitar, it isn't, so...Smiley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 04:41:13 PM »

Carl played no solos, unless the little Chuck Berry-like intro on Rockin' All Over the World is a "solo". As someone who DOES play guitar, it isn't, so...Smiley

How do you know he didn't play the "real" solo on that one?
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 06:04:42 PM »

This is kinda off-topic, but I always wondered why the BB didn't put more guitar solos on their albums, or guitars for that matter.  I'm mainly talking about their albums once Blondie & Ricky left. 

I've seen video of Carl playing solos, yet once he was in the studio, I guess he concentrated on vocals & didn't worry about his playing too much, which was a shame in my opinion.   The same pretty much applies to his solo albums.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 06:39:47 AM »

I've seen video of Carl playing solos, yet once he was in the studio, I guess he concentrated on vocals & didn't worry about his playing too much, which was a shame in my opinion. 

Yeah, I wonder about that too, though he did play on alot of the early stuff (incl. Pet Sounds) which he didn't get credit for I believe. From what I've heard (and I'd like to get this confirmed or cleared up) Carl was a well respected guitar player in the business.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 11:45:38 AM »

I've seen video of Carl playing solos, yet once he was in the studio, I guess he concentrated on vocals & didn't worry about his playing too much, which was a shame in my opinion. 

Yeah, I wonder about that too, though he did play on alot of the early stuff (incl. Pet Sounds) which he didn't get credit for I believe. From what I've heard (and I'd like to get this confirmed or cleared up) Carl was a well respected guitar player in the business.

It's about time people start respecting Carl for his guitar playing. I'm so sick of "Jimmy Page this, and Eric Clapton that"...it's time for Carl to join the pantheon of the guitar greats!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 03:47:18 PM »

Carl seemed to focus more on simple little underlying riffs that don't really call attention to themselves, similar to Dennis' approach on drums.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 04:33:46 PM »

Carl (and Al too) never flaunted his guitar playing. He didn't ham up a solo, he just played it and I always respected him for that.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 06:20:27 PM »

He seemed like  a very solid player but not overly spectacular. Dave Marks seems to have surpassed him by branching out into different styles. I am sure for what Carl played he really did well.  Didn't Marks try to encourage Carl to get more experimental?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 07:00:37 PM »

I can confirm that Alex Chilton said in an interview (circa 1992) that he pretty much learned all he knew about guitar playing from Carl Wilson.  To paraphrase slightly, what he said was pretty close to "He taught me a f*** of a lot of guitar.  That man is one good guitar player". 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 09:49:05 PM »

. From what I've heard (and I'd like to get this confirmed or cleared up) Carl was a well respected guitar player in the business.
As well he should have been. Carl was, and is, one of the most underrated guitar players in music history.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 07:02:37 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 11:56:19 AM »

I wish the BBs played more on their own records once Brian had stepped back. I'd rather hear Carl or Al play all the guitar parts than have some session guy play it slicker and "correct". I don't mind imperfect musicianship as long as the feeling is there.

I haven't listened to Carl's albums in ages, but I remember thinking you could drop his guitar playing from the songs and you probably wouldn't notice. I could be wrong.

I was listening to CSNY's American Dream today. Some of it is shockingly bad, but the worst offences are caused in the songs where their buddies play most of the instruments. What happened to Stephen 'Captain Manyhands' Stills?
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 12:16:29 PM »

I really have a lot of respect for the BBs' approach to playing.  Those guys are all about blending and simplicity; very few bands are like that.  When working out stuff for the tribute album and elsewhere, I was struck by how many times there was a simple guitar hook buried in the track somewhere that you never noticed until you broke the whole thing down.  After awhile I'd go, "there's Carl."

Didn't Bruce have a quote from around '71 saying something like, "If you listen to the band, you'll notice nobody solos.  But the blend is so full, it's incredible."  This hit me the first time we played with Al Jardine.  I always wondered, "what the heck is the guy playing?  Is that thing even on?"  And my amp was right next to his and I couldn't pick it out, and then I leaned in and it was just a part that blended totally with what was going on, and it made it sound "Beach Boys."  Check out the FRIDAYS clip where there are very few sidemen and they're doing KTSA.  Carl goes for the solo and you can pick out what Al is doing, and it's a rhythm part that blends perfectly with the clavinet.  You can't pick it out on its own unless everything else is out.

I know it's not flashy but I really respect that approach.  It takes real discipline and restraint to go, "I'm NOT going to solo, I'm going to do this cool background thing that nobody will notice."
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 04:13:15 PM by adamghost » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx