gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680869 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 07:52:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bob & Bobby single up for auction  (Read 1802 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: September 01, 2009, 05:22:06 PM »

Maybe some of you are interested in a single, seldom talked about but featuring great, great music produced by Brian.
Found this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/BOB-AND-BOBBY-1965-POP-45RPM-ON-TOWER-RECORD-LABEL_W0QQitemZ120464042488QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090830?IMSfp=TL090830154001r21151

I really do love these two tunes. The cover of Jimmy Reed's song is really groovy.

BTW I've got nothing to do with this auction

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jason
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 07:43:51 PM »

This is a great single indeed. Although it's actually a co-production - Brian and Bob Norberg.
MBE
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 09:48:24 PM »

I have that 45 it's pretty darn good.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 10:34:09 AM »

This is a great single indeed. Although it's actually a co-production - Brian and Bob Norberg.

Brian's co-production on the B side is documented - his involvement on the A side is purely anecdotal (which isn't to say it didn't happen, just that there's no paper trail).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 12:32:21 PM »

Brian's co-production on the B side is documented - his involvement on the A side is purely anecdotal (which isn't to say it didn't happen, just that there's no paper trail).

Which one was the A-side and which the flip?

And another question, this time about "Hale & The Hushabyes" and their "Yes sir, that's my baby". The Badman-book mentions Brian singing on this track along with other stars, but doesn't say who was the producer. Was it Brian? If not, then who? 

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 02:10:48 PM »

A side is "Twelve-O-Four". The Hushabyes 45 was produced by Jack Nitzsche.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 04:16:24 PM »

A side is "Twelve-O-Four". The Hushabyes 45 was produced by Jack Nitzsche.

Thanks Andrew !!
As mentioned above, those two recordings are rarely talked about and deserve more attention, as they are really great. Probably one of Brian's best outside-productions (count "Twelve-o-four" in if he did co-produce that). Me as a blues fan who loves Jimmy Reed (writer and original performer of "Baby what you....") gets chills hearing something so truthfully feeling to the original, yet totally having it's own sound. I wished Brian would've done some of these boogie-blues songs around that time. But on the other hand, you can't go wrong with the stuff he came up with....

BTW probably the best known version of that song is by this guy here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXgm6RQQiKY

and here's the original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AQnZGhSqsk&feature=related

Love that song "Yes sir....". It has a great production and interesting vocal parts.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 04:31:57 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx