gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 12:07:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arranging  (Read 1945 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2009, 03:12:08 PM »

We know that Brian wrote out the arrangements for the musicians. But how did Dennis and Carl handle this? They're string and wind section arrangements mostly weren't as complex as Brian's but surely someone had to write 'em down I'd guess.... Did Dennis and Carl write music at all?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 03:59:17 PM »

First, I think there are two different things there: transcribing music from brain (or other instrument) to paper, and arranging. And those two aren't necessarily the same thing. By their peaks, I'd guess both Carl and Dennis were capable of doing their own arrangements, more or less, meaning they could decide which instruments did what parts and when.

However, I don't know whether either actually wrote (though by some accounts Brian barely wrote, either). Daryl Dragon probably did a lot of whatever notation was necessary for players who needed sheet music, at least for Dennis.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 06:06:10 AM »

First, I think there are two different things there: transcribing music from brain (or other instrument) to paper, and arranging. And those two aren't necessarily the same thing. By their peaks, I'd guess both Carl and Dennis were capable of doing their own arrangements, more or less, meaning they could decide which instruments did what parts and when.

You're right, but I didn't want to make it too complicated Wink
From interviews with some of the Wrecking Crew, Brian wrote down the parts (though in a simple form) for them and there's also a story how Brian wrote down some music while at the same time talking to someone. But to make the question a little clearer:
Did Dennis and Carl e.g. sit down at the piano and work out arrangements for their songs? And I'm not so much talking about the basic stuff like guitar, piano, etc (which probably was done with just chord-symbols) but strings and the wind section....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 06:24:04 AM »

there's also a story how Brian wrote down some music while at the same time talking to someone.

Yep, that was David Sandler. Here is the text taken from page 176 of Catch A Wave:

That afternoon they were trying to record a horn arrangement to go with "Good Time," but when Brian finally woke up and padded down to the studio, the eight horn players he found waiting for him didn't know what to play. "So he went to his office and wrote horn charts while talking to me," Sandler says. "It was an amazing horn line, with this overriding French horn riff, and he did the whole thing while having a conversation with me."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 03:13:08 PM »

There are also quotes from people talking about how Brian's notation was amateurish, though. And just as some people say he handed out music, others say they never saw any. I think that's up for debate, to a certain extent.

Back to the question, I think both Carl and Dennis by their primes were more likely to have general ideas and maybe a few specific, key parts for certain instruments. But as for the true arrangements, my guess is we're looking at Dragon and others fleshing out what were probably bigger picture ideas. Can you picture Dennis knowing the ranges of specific horns, or knowing that he had to transcribe the alto sax part down a minor third?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 04:15:37 PM »

Can you picture Dennis knowing the ranges of specific horns, or knowing that he had to transcribe the alto sax part down a minor third?

That's exactly why I asked this question.... Maybe Stebbins, Ed Roach or whoever has some insight can add something....

- Jack Rieley
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 10:11:33 PM »

There are also quotes from people talking about how Brian's notation was amateurish, though. And just as some people say he handed out music, others say they never saw any. I think that's up for debate, to a certain extent.

I think Carol Kaye talks about Brian handing out very basic charts, and Desper never having seen any. So, chronologicaly, I guess Brian didn't bother too much with it after Smile was shelved.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 04:07:50 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, Hal Blaine talks about never having seen them, either. And he'd have been around pre-Smile. I'd guess that he just didn't use them consistently because it took him longer to write (and copy--it's time consuming as hell, especially then, before software and printers could do it) than to give the guys the gist of it via piano, voice or whatever. It's not like the parts were that complicated from the contexts they were coming from.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 06:37:09 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, Hal Blaine talks about never having seen them, either. And he'd have been around pre-Smile.

I don't think that Brian wrote charts for the drums (don't think that he knew how to write drum-parts to tell you the truth) and the basic-instruments. That's why I asked about the strings and wind section. And of course, the original intent was to know how Carl and Dennis handled this. I think Denny got a credit on L.A. for arranging the strings on "Baby blue". Well, it's not very complex, but if someone else took some ideas from Dennis and then wrote an arragement, I guess that guy would have gotten the credit, wouldn't he?

- Jack Rieley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 10:10:06 AM »

Hal not having received drum parts isn't the same as not remembering having seen charts handed out. They were working as a group in the same room--presumably he'd have seen string or horn players be handed or reading from charts.

As for that Dennis point, it depends on the details.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx