gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:22:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The KTSA album  (Read 14894 times)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2009, 11:38:49 AM »

I haven't listened to KTSA or BB'85 yet, & it looks like I haven't missed much.  On the other hand, I know I'll buy it eventually, so maybe going into it with no expectations of greatness will make it somewhat better.  At least that's what I hope.  By the way, I love the L.A. album from the year before, too.

While BB85 isn't the Boys' best album by any means, it's much better than KTSA, Still Cruisin', or Summer In Paradise. Where I Belong could've easily fit on LA Light or even Holland, Male Ego sounds like a Love You outtake, and the rest of the album consists of guilty pleasures (yes, even California Calling!).

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2009, 11:53:22 AM »

I was thinking about "Santa Ana Winds" today. Lovely, beautiful song; but it sounds like the chorus is something Brian would've written in about three minutes flat and then gone off to eat a steak. Al probably finished it off. I also miss Brian's high harmony on the chorus from the early version, though not those awful comments.

Still a lovely song.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2009, 02:31:45 PM »

I like "Sam niguel" but it wouldn't have fit on KTSA. It sounds just too different to the rest of the songs.
It DOES sound different, but that wouldn't b unusual for the Boys. Their previous album included a beautiful, haunting ballad in Baby Blue, a rock version of a traditional children's song in Shortenin' Bread and a never-ending disco song, Here Comes the Night. Talk about songs that don't fit together.

It's not just on LA either. Take a Load off Your Feet hardly fits on the same album with Surf's Up, Feel Flows and Til I Die.

KTSA needed any good songs it could get, so I think San Miguel would have helped.

I was talking about the sound, not the quality, arrangement or whatever of the song. Not only do the vocals sound totally different, it is the whole recording. HCTN and Shortnin' bread however sound totally like they were cut around that time (which they were) and with the same recording techniques...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2009, 03:09:08 PM »

I was talking about the sound, not the quality, arrangement or whatever of the song. Not only do the vocals sound totally different, it is the whole recording. HCTN and Shortnin' bread however sound totally like they were cut around that time (which they were) and with the same recording techniques...

I agree.  Putting San Miguel on KTSA would be like putting WIBN on Still Cruisin'....oh wait... LOL
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2009, 09:54:39 PM »

Despite some weak material, the main problem for me, which has been mentioned by others, is Mike's nasal vocals. "Santa Ana Winds" surely the worst offender. Why Al's lead had to be interrupted three times by MEL is beyond me, ruining an otherwise decent song.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2009, 04:46:52 PM »

I was in a rehearsal for a gig with Nelson and Probyn yesterday and I deliberately tortured Probyn by playing "Oh Darlin'" on the piano between songs (and Probyn didn't recognize it, dammit!)
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2009, 06:58:36 PM »

Now THAT's funny...just get me Randy Bachman's phone number and I'll get right on it!

If your serious Adam, I'm told that he's quite approachable on this kind of stuff..
maybe contact him through his website  randybachman.com.

Smiley

Bachman is quite a Beach Boys fan and hosts a radio show that you can catch here: http://www.randysvinyltap.com/main.php?ch=4#

Check out show # 111 which was on The Beach Boys. I am not sure if they are archived, but if anyone is contacting Randy anyway.....
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2009, 04:42:20 AM »

I was in a rehearsal for a gig with Nelson and Probyn yesterday and I deliberately tortured Probyn by playing "Oh Darlin'" on the piano between songs (and Probyn didn't recognize it, dammit!)

I've been playing it myself lately on piano quite a bit. Like I said, I think the song is really good, but everything on the released version is wrong, everything !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2009, 05:20:27 AM »

Whatever else you say about KTSA, you have to admit, the liners on the 2000 reissue aren't too shabby...  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2009, 05:29:41 AM »

Did you write them?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2009, 07:05:22 AM »

Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2009, 10:37:55 AM »

My problem with Santa Ana Winds is the strings.  Best track on the album by a mile, however, and should've been on LA.
The syrupy sax break almost kills Goin' On, my second favourite track.
The lyrics are the biggest culprit in Endless Harmony (wasn't it actually written before Still Crazy?), my third favourite.
KTSA is okay but it's no Do It Again.
WGGT is beginning to sound better - worryingly...
I don't care much for the rest at all, especially Sunshine and LWAH.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2009, 02:29:52 PM »

You're right about it being written before Still Crazy, but the electric piano sound and vibe of the A section are very similar.  It may very well be a coincidence but the "A" section of each of the songs ends with the same little 1-4-1 keyboard riff, which makes me think it was a conscious or unconscious tip of the hat to the Simon tune.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2009, 02:59:53 PM »

about the sax solo on Goin On, it's alright, but I always found Mike Meros' keyboard solo on the concert versions charming.

BTW, whoever brought up the Sunshine/parade analogy was genius!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2009, 01:07:07 PM »

Really?  I didn't like that solo at all, though I don't blame Mike, but the lack of decent keyboard patches to approximate a sax at that point in time.  (Actually, this is still largely true)
Jason
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2009, 11:12:03 AM »

In 1980, Mike Meros did the Some Of Your Love "sax" sound two different ways. In Philly he used a poor quality sample, but at Knebworth he used just a plain synth saw.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx