gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:08:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The KTSA album  (Read 14826 times)
Nicko1234
« on: August 30, 2009, 09:20:46 AM »

I know that a lot of songs were recorded for this LP but does anyone know how many exactly?

I think that a couple of Celebration songs were considered but did the band attempt to re-record them?

Were all of the Carl/Bachman collaborations recorded?

Has `Goin` to the Beach` ever been bootlegged?

etc.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 09:44:51 AM »

http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/gigs79.html - start in July.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Nicko1234
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 09:55:11 AM »

Thanks for the link.

Does anyone know how many of these songs have been made available on bootlegs? And which of them should have been included on the final album?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 10:23:27 AM »

I think I remember that the backing track was booted, but not the finished version. I'm not sure though. You can hear Mike and Brian working on that song in the TV-special.

I said it once and I'll say it again: "Oh darlin'" is a very, very good song but that terrible (!!!) production ruined everything

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 01:17:43 PM »

Were all of the Carl/Bachman collaborations recorded?

Randy Bachman recorded "What's Your Hurry Darlin'" with his band Ironhorse during 1980, and then also recorded his own version of "Keep The Summer Alive" (note abbreviated title) with the band Union the following year ...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 03:33:02 PM »

Keepin' The Summer Alive is one of those woulda/shoulda/coulda albums. I wish Dennis would've participated in the album. The album is skimpy to begin with - only 10 songs. If Dennis could've contributed two gems, it would've been not only a stronger album, but one of the "groupiest" albums they ever did, almost Sunflower-like, except for the production of course....
Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 05:51:50 PM »

Every time I've tried to get into this album I've failed, it's probably my least favorite pre-1990s BB's album.  Am I wrong?  I agree that some Dennis' songs would have made it better, but not by much.  The BB had a lot of talent, but for a long time I've felt that they should have become a vehicle for Dennis Wilson after Sunflower like they were for Brian for most of the 60s. 

Also, I would have thought that a collaboration between Carl Wilson and Randy Bachman would have been produced better material, but they were getting old by then in popular music terms.  Goin' On sounds like a good tune, but one tune does not make an album worthwhile.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 07:15:08 PM »

I think I remember that the backing track was booted, but not the finished version. I'm not sure though. You can hear Mike and Brian working on that song in the TV-special.

I said it once and I'll say it again: "Oh darlin'" is a very, very good song but that terrible (!!!) production ruined everything

To me, the version with Brian singing on it sounds better.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Nicko1234
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »

Randy Bachman recorded "What's Your Hurry Darlin'" with his band Ironhorse during 1980, and then also recorded his own version of "Keep The Summer Alive" (note abbreviated title) with the band Union the following year ...

And are they any good in your opinion?
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 07:39:45 PM »

I know it was recorded for the KTSA but released on it, but I just have to point out that I listened to it recently and was very surprised that "When Girls Get Together" is a really beautiful composition in it's instrumental state [see bootlegs]. It's just so much better than the final version---I have to say I can't stand the lyrics really. But it's really much more successful as an instrumental.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Nicko1234
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 07:44:48 PM »

Every time I've tried to get into this album I've failed, it's probably my least favorite pre-1990s BB's album.  Am I wrong? 

Not in my opinion.

I think Goin` On could have been a good song but Carl should have sung the whole thing pretty much instead of Mike.

Santa Ana Winds is quite nice but again Mike`s nasal vocal should have been removed and the sloppy band chorus should have been re-recorded.

Keepin` the Summer Alive is ok but let down by the puny production.

That`s about it...

Stating the obvious here but it`s a real shame that the band couldn`t have worked with a strong manager or producer who could have organized them more.

I agree that convincing Dennis to donate a couple of songs might have improved things a lot and getting Mike to donate a couple of First Love songs would have helped massively too.
Nicko1234
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 07:51:21 PM »

Having now listened to this:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC6DfsQo1RE

I think it could have been a nice little song.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 08:39:53 PM »

I had root canal surgery two and a half hours ago, my jaw aches, my tounge feels like a football and I've got a headache but that song really made me want to be back in the dentist's chair doing it all again rather than listening to it.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 09:18:56 PM »

Yeah, the only good things about "Goin' to the Beach" are some of the vocal melody and the left hand piano parts Brian added to the demo. It's funny watching that KTSA piece on YouTube when Brian adds those parts and asks Mike if it sounds good, and Mike just kind of dismissively says "yeah, sure Brian" when it's actually the only thing that makes the song instrumentally interesting. I noticed that they aren't in the instrumental Mike apparently helped produce.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 05:05:05 AM »

here's the other finished C.Wilson/R.Bachman song:

http://www.imeem.com/people/CsNaY_L/music/WIjXWcmX/iron-horse-whats-your-hurry-darling/

I read somewhere a interview with Bachman many years ago about his work with Carl, and these 3 tracks are the only only ones that were demoed...
so the rest are just on a notepad in Mr. Bachman's music library.
 (so I'm picturing the two of them with acoustic guitars playing together back in '79 coming up with these songs)

would be interesting if he'd let someone have the info on the other 2 or 3 songs...
another Adam Marsland project?

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 05:09:25 AM »

To me, the version with Brian singing on it sounds better.

Yes, although far from a good take, it has much more soul. Could have been a great recording.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Nicko1234
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 05:42:59 AM »

Thanks for the link and not a bad song. Preferable to some on KTSA I would say...
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 09:08:35 AM »

for being the title song, i wish it was it bit b@lls-ier...i feel like there's no bass...the live version is 45% better

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 09:29:07 AM »

I agree Brian's original demo recording of "Oh Darlin'" is way better than what would eventually end up on the actual album. To me, the biggest letdown about KTSA most certainly is how "un-Brian" that whole record sounds considering the high percentage of all-new (or previously unreleased) BW material.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 01:23:01 PM »

Now THAT's funny...just get me Randy Bachman's phone number and I'll get right on it!

Seriously, the biggest missed opportunity was "I Will Always Love You", the Mann/Weil song that Carl cut for these sessions.  VERY 1980 A/C radio hit-like, and a wonderful performance.  Right in sync with what was going on at the time.  I can see why they left it off because it didn't really resonate with the other tracks on the album...which right there is the problem.  I am also fond of Brian's take on "Smokey Places" that I got to hear once...the only half-decent vocal he did around this time (seriously, my God, his voice was WRECKED in 1980, shocked at how bad some of the unreleased vocals are...amazing that he did so many of the BVs on KTSA competently).  Though again, wouldn't really have fit on the album.

It's too bad about KTSA.  It's true that it was a real group effort (though I think Carl's tracks are mostly solo, right?  "Heartache" for sure), but it's a thin and uninspired record to me, which is a shame because I think the idea behind it -- get the band back together and try to do a more organic album -- was in good faith, it just didn't work out so well.  The only songs I really love on it are the title track and "Santa Ana Winds," and the processing on the vocals on the latter make it almost unlistenable.  This may have the highest percentage of tracks I really hate on any (pre-"Kokomo") BBs album..."Sunshine," "Girls Get Together," "Oh Darlin'".  I loathe them all, and I'm not fond of "Heartache" either.  And this is coming from the guy who will defend LIGHT ALBUM to the death.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 01:25:08 PM by adamghost » Logged
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 01:53:49 PM »

I like Goin' On, Endless Harmony and Santa Ana Winds. I can stomach the two Carl-Bachman collaborations. The rest is pure dreck.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 02:12:33 PM »

I don't dislike any songs on the album, and I still think it's one of Carl's best albums - vocally -in any decade.
MBE
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 03:41:39 PM »

I think everything they did after is worse, and everything they did before is better. I'm not talking song by song just as LP's. Love You isn't my favorite but there are a few songs there that I think are first rate. KTSA does have more of an organic feel then the later stuff, frankly only a half dozen group tracks after Dennis died were worthy of their legacy and two of those didn't come out. I don't hate too many things on there except for "WGGT", "Endless Harmony" (despite some fine singing it's still Bruce at his most cloying), and "School Days" which made "Rock and Roll Music" look like "Break Away".

Bruce's production is pretty bad though much better then Melcher or Levine's. He lessens if not ruins some potential classics. Santa Ana Winds is a beautiful concept. Melodically it's wonderful, and I never minded the processing. What's wrong with it is first off the dorky spoken intro and secondly Mike. Mike shouldn't have used his whiny voice on such a delicate song. He's terrible on it. I guess I like the LA Light version better for all its rough spots.
KTSA is a good song for its genre, it should have kicked more and I blame Bruce for that. Still I like listening to it. Goin' On is the last Brian/Mike classic composition. If not for the horrible sax solo I would say it's a classic recording as well.
Wilsonista
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 04:23:05 PM »

I had root canal surgery two and a half hours ago, my jaw aches, my tounge feels like a football and I've got a headache but that song really made me want to be back in the dentist's chair doing it all again rather than listening to it.

God that was bloody awful. No wonder Carl looked like he was cringing when he heard it.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 04:48:54 PM »

I think everything they did after is worse, and everything they did before is better. (...) Goin' On is the last Brian/Mike classic composition. If not for the horrible sax solo I would say it's a classic recording as well.

A fair judgement of this album.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx