gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:09:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Wilson Project  (Read 25308 times)
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« on: August 29, 2009, 07:34:02 AM »

Has anyone read this book? Is it worth getting? I understand that it paints a decidedly different picture of mid-80s Brian than "Wouldn't it Be Nice."

EDIT: pictures added

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 03:51:16 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

- B00ts
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 07:53:25 AM »

Has anyone read this book? Is it worth getting? I understand that it paints a decidedly different picture of mid-80s Brian than "Wouldn't it Be Nice."

It's essential reading. Based directly on Gary Usher's diaries 1985-1987, it gives a truly chilling insight into Brian's world as directed by Landy.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
othereric
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 10:42:28 AM »

And where might one find a copy of this book?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 12:43:43 PM »

Go here - http://www.garyusher.com/ - click on 'CMusic books' then scroll down some.

othereric
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 01:08:12 PM »

43 dollars?! jumpin' jehosophat!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 05:51:12 AM »

I have the original book that does not include tape 10.  Is there a lot of good information from tape 10?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 06:14:44 AM »

I have the original book that does not include tape 10.  Is there a lot of good information from tape 10?

Have to say, no... not really. More of a supplement.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 04:10:16 AM »

Well I just finished reading this book.

As AGD said: essential. But I'd like to add the words depressing and speechless. Many interesting facts. The introduction of Melinda, the several encounters with the Beach Boys (and the tensions between them), Landy's work behind the screens as the instigator. It's nothing short of a miracle that a single like "Let's Go To Heaven In My Car" and the addition of "The Spirit Of Rock And Roll" in the 86 Hawaii special happened at all.  Let alone that Brian fortunately survived all this. And I haven't started on the appendix of the accusation papers from 1988 against Dr. Landy (not just concerning Brian Wilson).

Gary Usher did a heck of a job by keeping up a day-to-day journal of his renewed collaboration with Brian in 1986-87. And Stephen J. MC Parland did an equally terrific job of making it a fascinating read.

I only read the first release (pink cover). The re-issue - The Wilson Project Tapes 1-10 - is an expanded issue which combines the first issue with "Brian Wilson Tape #10". Can't tell about the additional value of that re-issue, but I think just reading this first release will leave you behind astonished as well.

And I'd like to add that it's worth having the "The Wilson Project" CD (Invasion Unlimited, IU 9419-1) as well, to get an idea of what Gary and Brian were working on.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 04:47:19 PM »

whats on the "tapes?"

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 11:55:31 PM »

It’s the title of the book, which content is based on those tapes.

To quote from www.garyusher.com, www.garyusher.com/cmusic.html to be exactly:
THE WILSON PROJECT TAPES 1-10
This 232 page book brings together the acclaimed 1993 book, THE WILSON PROJECT, telling the story of the struggle encountered by Gary Usher in his at-tempt to provide a creative musical atmosphere for his old friend, Brian Wilson, then encumbered by the shadow of Dr. Eugene E. Landy, and BRIAN WILSON TAPE #10, the briefly available and limited issue that brought the story to its end, complete with reproductions of various documents, court depositions, memorabilia and handwritten lyrics.  Now as the one book, THE WILSON PROJECT TAPES 1-10 is an insightful look at the dealings that prevailed during the mid to late '80s that eventually led to the release of BRIAN WILSON, the Beach Boy leader's first solo LP issued by Sire Records in July 1988.  THE WILSON PROJECT TA-PES 1-10 is based on a 10 audio cassette diary maintained by Gary Usher during the "ordeal" and captures the day by day interaction, the creative out-pourrings and the problems faced by Usher and Brian Wilson as they struggled to produce a foundation upon which Wilson could be re-introduced to contemporary music.  THE WILSON PROJECT TAPES 1-10 exposes the total control exercised by "the good doctor" over his patient. It also concerns the battles that ensued for Brian's well-being and musical soul. It is a story that proves beyond a shadow of doubt that FACT is STRANGER than fiction.  THE WILSON PROJECT TAPES 1-10, besides the main story, includes full recording particulars and a total of five appendices to expose the full INSIDE story; a sad melancholy tale with humour, drama and all the machinations of a Shakespearean play.

There are quite a few books on that site I’d like to read btw

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 10:58:20 AM »

The two volume Jan & dean bio is great! I hardily recommend it.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
MBE
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 08:43:06 PM »

The two volume Jan & dean bio is great! I hardily recommend it.
A lot of good facts in there. Little did I know he would do a deluxe version.
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 07:38:54 AM »

Has the music from these sessions surfaced at all? I just got the book recently and it's been a very interesting read so far and I'm really curious about what all of this music sounded like.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 08:22:06 AM »

Most of it has surfaced on a few bootlegs. "Spirit of Rock & Roll" and "Let's Go To Heaven In My Car" are two that have been released.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 10:15:01 PM »

So the tracks we have are the same recordings mentioned in the book? I knew we had those tracks and all, but wasn't quite sure if those were re-recorded, "Landyized" versions.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 02:14:25 AM »

Nothing from the actual sessions has been released (officially). FWIW and YMMV, while GU was undoubtedly a great friend to Brian at a time when exactly that was sorely needed, as a producer he probably wasn't the best choice.

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 03:35:32 AM »

Where can you find this? Not available on his site anymore. Somebody want to let me borrow their copy? Talk the publisher into reprinting it or scan and upload every page of it?

No mas, por favor.
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 10:08:12 AM »

I got my copy from Ebay for $20  3D

Really interesting read. I recently went back and read the whole section about the GU/BW sessions in WIBN:MOS and you can tell that it's incredibly loosely based on few events that actually happened. It mentions the sessions briefly, but doesn't quite match up with what Usher and McParland have to say (It seems Landy caused A LOT of unnecessary headaches during the time). I'm only about half way through right now, though.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 10:13:58 AM by NatureShowInStereo » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 11:37:36 AM »

Where can you find this? Not available on his site anymore. Somebody want to let me borrow their copy? Talk the publisher into reprinting it or scan and upload every page of it?

Ask Steve directly. I think I paid 15 bucks each for the two volumes back in the early 90's, and I think he compiled it into one volume since then so it should be somewhere between 20 - 30 bucks now for the new edition.

cmusic@hotkey.net.au

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Editions Berlot
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 04:57:21 AM »

Hi guys,

I wanted to let you know that "The Wilson Project, 2013 Edition" by Stephen Mc Parland will be released May 6th.
It will be available on amazon.co.uk, amazon.fr, ebay.com, ebay.fr.
Pre-order with reduced shipping costs are available via our website : http://editionsberlot.com/?page_id=142

The Wilson Project, 2013 Edition contains the previously released tapes 1-10.
Differences from the previous edition : colour photographs, new format (A5), new layout.

If you have any question, please let us know

cheers.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 06:27:54 AM »

Sweet! Thanks for the update ! I've wanted to get this for so long but it's always really expensive.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Paulos
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 04:43:24 AM »

Finished reading this a few weeks ago, a quite heartbreaking read. Felt so sorry for Gary Usher being continually screwed over but if it weren't for Gary's meticulous notes Brian may have been under Landy's sway for a whole lot longer.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 02:58:34 PM »

Finished reading this a few weeks ago, a quite heartbreaking read. Felt so sorry for Gary Usher being continually screwed over but if it weren't for Gary's meticulous notes Brian may have been under Landy's sway for a whole lot longer.
Any info on songs from that era that you read that don't have a lot of info out there?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 01:29:46 AM »

Undeniable... but on first read (back when it was first published), I was close to beating my head against the wall with frustration at how naive Usher was in his interactions with Landy, time and time again. Also, it has to be said, his cosmological slant on everything rapidly became wearing, the music is, by and large, more Usher than Wilson and (granted this is a personal observation) the retelling of the incident concerning Brian and the golf club (intended to illustrate his wacky SOH) backfired as it made Brian seem (in the words of a friend who read it and is no huge BB fan) "close to retarded" as opposed to lovably quirky.

That said, an indispensable book if you're a serious BW acolyte... and yes, truly, truly heartbreaking.

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 05:36:22 PM »

I just ordered a copy off eBay. About 200 pages into it so far. Gotta say this is a really interesting read. It gives you a very clear idea of what it was like to be in the studio with Brian around this time. I'd say it's also very educational for anyone coming up in the music business, as it shows how Gary, as a producer, was able to "handle" a sensitive artist like Brian in and out of the studio, as well as his managers and minders. Definitely learning a lot in that aspect. Lots of typical industry fuckery going on here that people can learn from. Gary seemed like a really good dude, and Landy constantly tried to take advantage of that.

Cool reading about a bunch of unbooted songs like "Magic", "All Over You", "Still I Dream Of It" with new lyrics, etc.  Maybe they'll pop up on an official release one of these days.

Bottom line: DEFINITELY recommended if you haven't read it yet! About to start reading the rest now...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx