gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:09:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "Shut Down Vol 2" Tapes Story  (Read 7148 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 04:26:43 AM »

I wonder what the 4 other songs are.

Maybe Jon can tell us?
That info was shared when this story broke back in the spring...probably in an old thread here somewhere, and I think in the current ESQ...but for those who didn't catch that info the first time around, the tracks on the three reels were Don't Worry Baby, Why Do Fools Fall in Love, Pom Pom Play Girl, In The Parking Lot, This Car of Mine and Denny's Drums. Interestingly there was guitar and bass on the initial takes of Denny's Drums...making it slightly more of a "song" than the released version. All of these tracks were recorded at Western and feature the BB's on the instruments except WDFFIL which is Goldstar and pure Wrecking Crew.

Interesing. A while back someone who I trust told me that it wasn't Dennis on "Denny's drums".....

When it comes to THIS sort of stuff, you should only trust Jon Stebbins & me.  And AGD.  And Boyd.  And maybe a couple of others. 

That's what I'm gonna do from now on (not listening to others that is). I know that you guys did your homework and I love your beachboysarchives-site

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2009, 05:02:03 AM »

Damn, the Beach Boys could have had the track that inspired "Toad" and "Moby Dick".  LOL
That reference is completely lost on me...what does that mean?

"Moby Dick" is a Led Zeppelin song that has a 20 minute drum solo...not sure what "Toad" is.

I always wondered what my idea of hell would be like. Now I know.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2009, 11:21:20 AM »

Thanks Jon!

I wonder if there was enough stuff on there to make a stereo mix of In The Parking Lot...that would've been good to put on SLS too.

Um, "In The Parking Lot" IS on SLS...you mean "Pom Pom Play Girl" ?
Smiley
No, I did mean In The Parking Lot, but a new stereo mix.  I think it's not a new stereo remix that's on there.
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 02:06:30 AM »

Maybe Jon can tell us?
That info was shared when this story broke back in the spring...probably in an old thread here somewhere, and I think in the current ESQ...but for those who didn't catch that info the first time around, the tracks on the three reels were Don't Worry Baby, Why Do Fools Fall in Love, Pom Pom Play Girl, In The Parking Lot, This Car of Mine and Denny's Drums. Interestingly there was guitar and bass on the initial takes of Denny's Drums...making it slightly more of a "song" than the released version. All of these tracks were recorded at Western and feature the BB's on the instruments except WDFFIL which is Goldstar and pure Wrecking Crew.

Interesing. A while back someone who I trust told me that it wasn't Dennis on "Denny's drums".....

That´s what Jon Stebbins wrote about "Denny´s Drums" on the ShutDownVol.2 board:

"From listening to the raw session IMO its definitely him on most of it, but maybe not all of it. There does seem to be an edit part way through the released version, and there are some tom overdubs. The first few attempts at the unreleased vers. of the song have bass and guitar on it as well. just little one note flourishes in between the drum soloing."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2009, 05:25:10 AM »

Maybe Jon can tell us?

Chances are that was me. The joys of ongoing research dictates that such 'definitive' statements require revision from time to time. I was in error (as was my source, of course...) and it's 'fess up time. Mea culpa.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2009, 09:18:39 AM »

Toad was a ginger Baker riff on Fresh Cream...with a little Clapton and Brice mixed in.  No vocals.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2009, 10:20:59 AM »

Maybe Jon can tell us?

Chances are that was me. The joys of ongoing research dictates that such 'definitive' statements require revision from time to time. I was in error (as was my source, of course...) and it's 'fess up time. Mea culpa.

I really don't remember. Maybe it was you. I only remember that I trusted that person enough to not doubt his infos. But it's always good to learn something new, so what the heck....   Cheesy

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx