gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 08:45:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's favourite/least liked albums  (Read 4389 times)
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2009, 05:45:03 PM »

I wonder what Brian's favourite albums and least favourite albums are. I have heard that he is very fond of the 'Love You' LP
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 05:48:55 PM »

Which day? I know there has been a thread about how many of them he has called his favorite and/or best album, and it's a pretty long list.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 06:07:47 PM »

oh! umm...well I just watched from the Endless Harmony DVD
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 06:09:27 PM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,6860.0.html

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 06:12:40 PM »

In the late eighties, I think, he used to say Friends.  That might be the only one I've heard him name more than once.  At some point also around then I think he said that Pet Sounds took him back to a bad time in his life.  Has he had any other kind?

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
SG7
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 06:23:35 PM »

He didn't like Frank Zappa stuff I do know that
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 06:26:06 PM »

Sorry Luther if I'm repeating something thats already been done. I haven't been that active on this site until just recently.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 06:27:04 PM »

Sorry Luther if I'm repeating something thats already been done. I haven't been that active on this site until just recently.

No, no problem. Just showing you what has been said so you can catch up on a topic you are obviously interested in.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 06:28:27 PM »

I've never seen or heard anything where Brian addressed Frank at all. What did he say?

(Conversely, Frank talked a little about Brian in his autobiography, praising a chord progression.)

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 06:33:50 PM »

I've never seen or heard anything where Brian addressed Frank at all. What did he say?

(Conversely, Frank talked a little about Brian in his autobiography, praising a chord progression.)

Anderle tried to hip Brian into Zappa's latest - maybe Absolutely Free - and Brian hated it.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 06:42:18 PM »

Not surprising, in that Brian's sweet spot was always beauty (whether in love, sadness or whatever) and Frank was not only mocking everything, but doing it with ugly sounding musicians. Even those same songs from that album (and those around it) sound much more polished by later incarnations of the band. I would guess Brian might--MIGHT--like some of Frank's stuff more if it were played to him on a piano and sung in tune without words. Beyond that, I wouldn't expect much.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 07:25:22 PM »

In the late eighties, I think, he used to say Friends.  That might be the only one I've heard him name more than once.  At some point also around then I think he said that Pet Sounds took him back to a bad time in his life.  Has he had any other kind?
I've heard Love You about 10 times probably.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 07:48:33 PM »

I think his favorite has got to be Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes Featuring Veronica.

Grin

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:49:49 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 08:14:46 PM »

I bet Bri would dig Peaches En Regalia.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 09:30:52 PM »

I don't know that I've heard him say his dislikes an album, only his or the group's performances on certain songs (California Girls, Let Him Run Wild, Surf's Up demo, etc.).  I can't imagine him saying something bad about an album really, except maybe that some of them bring back bad memories. 

PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 06:30:37 AM »

Frank talked a little about Brian in his autobiography, praising a chord progression.

Right, Deuce Coupe.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 06:02:26 PM »

There are some albums that Brian hardly mentions, thus I'm guessing he doesn't care for: MIU, LALA, KTSA, BB85, (the one with Kokamo. I forgot the album title) and SIP.

Has he ever acknoledged these albums. If so what did he say about them?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 06:14:22 PM »

There are some albums that Brian hardly mentions, thus I'm guessing he doesn't care for: MIU, LALA, KTSA, BB85, (the one with Kokamo. I forgot the album title) and SIP.

I think there is a lack of acknowledgement from Brian of albums in general because he was basically a singles artist. From 1962-65 (with Today being the exception), hit singles were his thing; the rest was filler. Extremely good filler, though.

After Rubber Soul admittedly "blew him away", he went the album route for a year or two, but then it was back to working on "songs", not albums. Even with 15 Big Ones and Love You, he worked so quickly and got out of there; I wonder how much he was working on albums and not just a collection of songs. And, other than 15 Big Ones and Love You, he wasn't churning out enough songs for an entire album anyway.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 07:23:01 AM »

After Rubber Soul admittedly "blew him away", he went the album route for a year or two, but then it was back to working on "songs", not albums. Even with 15 Big Ones and Love You, he worked so quickly and got out of there; I wonder how much he was working on albums and not just a collection of songs. And, other than 15 Big Ones and Love You, he wasn't churning out enough songs for an entire album anyway.

FRIENDS seems like a cohesive album to me.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 10:27:29 AM »

FRIENDS seems like a cohesive album to me.

Friends through Holland were not really Brian albums though. They were group efforts.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 04:51:28 PM »

Has anyone said anything in any interviews about Mt. Vernon and Fairway?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 07:09:30 PM »

I think there is a lack of acknowledgement from Brian of albums in general because he was basically a singles artist. From 1962-65 (with Today being the exception), hit singles were his thing; the rest was filler. Extremely good filler, though.

I'd count All summer Long in there as a cohesive album.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx