gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681452 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 06, 2024, 09:20:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jerry Lee Lewis - Mean ol' man  (Read 9923 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: August 25, 2009, 02:08:52 PM »

Fantastic ! A new recording by the Killer himself:
http://www.jerryleelewis.com/

Now I really hope that it's more than a rumour that a new album will be released....

Check it out, it's a FREE single
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LC24EU/ref=cm_sw_su_dp
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:21:49 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 01:06:06 AM »

Hehe, I just re-read an article on him in a Rolling Stone anniversary edition. He was called 'the spendingest man in the country', and he got away with things that would land others in jail for a very long time. Women died in his home and were buried so quickly that a proper investigation was not possible. He and his car got towed out of pounds at the roadside; and he could walk home, although he was nearly in a coma from all the booze and pills he had ingested before driving. And so on and so on.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 06:02:03 AM »

Hehe, I just re-read an article on him in a Rolling Stone anniversary edition. He was called 'the spendingest man in the country', and he got away with things that would land others in jail for a very long time. Women died in his home and were buried so quickly that a proper investigation was not possible. He and his car got towed out of pounds at the roadside; and he could walk home, although he was nearly in a coma from all the booze and pills he had ingested before driving. And so on and so on.

No one lived as hard as the Killer ! That's why it's a miracle that he is still alive. Rolling Stone wrote during the "Last man standing"-thing that Jerry Lee is the only one who makes people like Keith Richards look like a puppy. But through it all, it's just unbelievable how much talent this guy has. On this new song he sounds a thousand times better than on "Last man satnding"

EDIT:

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 – Jerry Lee Lewis's first single, from his forthcoming new studio CD will be released by Shangri-La Music. This will be Lewis' first country release since the 1970s.
The track will be available digitally starting today on all digital service providers. Produced by Steve Bing and Jim Keltner, and executive produced by Phoebe Lewis, the full length album will be released in late 2009 or early 2010 and will include several tracks penned by Kris Kristofferson, who was instrumental in the recording process. The single was written by Kristofferson for Lewis, and they recorded the track for the first time for Lewis's forthcoming full-length release.

"Jerry Lee Lewis is the heart of rock n' roll and an American original," said Jeff Ayeroff, Co-CEO of Shangri-La Music. "It is about time we had some new music from The Killer."

Mean Old Man is the first new music from Lewis since the independent release "Last Man Standing" in 2006.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 06:20:34 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 12:38:57 AM »

Cheers for the info, mr Rocker! I notice with pleasure that Jim Keltner is involved. And I'll investigate the new music.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 04:47:26 PM »

A short commentary on CNN
http://www.dailymotion.com/search/jerry%2Blee%2Blewis/video/xacp8d_southern-rock-tuesday_lifestyle

And just for the pure fun, some vintage Ready Steady Go! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1487gtv6c
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 04:52:37 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 05:58:04 AM »

A little more on the new album. Kris Kristofferson-interview:

Kris Kristofferson: Highwayman
The Oct. 12 issue of Country Weekly features an in-depth article about Kris Kristofferson that finds the country legend discussing artistry, mortality and his new album, Closer to the Bone. Presented exclusively here at countryweekly.com is some more of our candid and wide-ranging talk with Kris.
You were involved in making the upcoming Jerry Lee Lewis album. How did that come together?
I was there with him on several songs. [Producer] Steve Bing’s putting it together. He called me up the other day and played me Jerry Lee singing “Sunday Morning Coming Down.” Steve told me he said, “Why didn’t Kris give me that song? Why’d he give it to Johnny Cash?” He used to be that way too: “Johnny Cash! Johnny Cash! Why doesn’t he just give all his songs to Johnny Cash?” He’s got a lot of people from the Rolling Stones, and really good artists have contributed to it. I’ll be anxious to hear it. It’ll be good for Jerry Lee. It’s great to see him getting the respect he deserves.

I never would have thought he’d be the last of the legendary Sun Records artists still standing.
That’s very funny, I was thinking of that the other day, thinking of all the Sun people. All of them are gone. Who would have thought Jerry Lee would have been the last? He’s been a hero of mine for a long time, Jerry Lee has. He knows it, and we have a lot of affection between us.

- Jack Rieley
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 10:55:47 PM »

I got "Mean Old Man" from Jerry Lee when Amazon offered it as a free download about 1.5 months ago.  He doesn't sound finished just yet, & he still knows how to rock & roll, even though most of it will be country.  I'll be getting his new album when it comes out for sure.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 03:39:45 PM »

I'm sorry guys, I totally forgot to post this.
A few weeks ago Jerry did the first liveversion of "Mean ol' man" by request from someone in the audience. unrehearsed but still cool to hear. It reminds me of his "Deep elem blues" recording on Sun feeling-wise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NVHZ_WTCaE

- Jack Rieley
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 09:04:21 AM »

Just finished watching Jerry Lee in the opening of a 'classic' teen film, "High School Confidential": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051724/  It's fantastic; he rides through a campus, pounding away with his band on the back of a flat bed truck.  The film stars Russ Tamblyn as a pot dealer in 1958!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 10:04:14 AM »

Just finished watching Jerry Lee in the opening of a 'classic' teen film, "High School Confidential": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051724/  It's fantastic; he rides through a campus, pounding away with his band on the back of a flat bed truck.  The film stars Russ Tamblyn as a pot dealer in 1958!

Yeah, that's cool. The version he played of "High school confidential" was not the single version, which was recorded later than the movie-cut. BTW Drew Barrymore's father, John Drew, also played in "High school confidential"

Here's the first ten minutes with Jerry Lee on that truck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpb5OvJc_Fk

Ed, do you know of any meeting between Dennis and the Killer? I guess in terms of hell-raising they probably would've enjoyed company  Grin
BTW I loved the inclusion of Jerry's relatively unknown version of "Hit the road Jack" in Two Lane Blacktop. That movie had alot of great music. The "Me & Bobby McGee"-scene is among my very favorite movie scenes ever. Unfortunately there wasn't any of Dennis' or James Taylor's songs.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 10:00:06 AM »

Here are some news on the album (took it from a JLL-forum):

Kay Martin wrote on Yahoo messageboard about her talk with Jerry Lee:
(partly)

We discussed the new album. He thinks some of the songs will be available through Amazon by Christmas, but the CD itself will be ready early next year. I have no idea why it's worked out that way. He and I agreed that the music industry lately is a far cry from what it was when we were younger.
Some of the songs.... We already know about Mean Old Man (which he intends to incorporate into his live shows), but there are a few other Kris Kristofferson songs included: Come Sundown, Here Comes That Rainbow Again and You Can Have Her. (Not sure if that last one is KK or not). I asked if he had re-recorded any of his older songs, because we had that question here. Yes, one song has been included that he had out in the past. We are supposedly going to be GLAD he did.... The balance of the songs on the CD are those you have never heard JLL do before. They are keeping most of the titles a surprise. I'm really looking forward to hearing them! They were produced by Jim Keltner and Steve Bing, with Phoebe as Executive Producer.

"You can have her" (if not a new song) is of course not by Kristofferson.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 05:36:21 PM »

Well, some updates.
A 4 song "EP" was released a while ago already, you can order it here:
http://www.amazon.com/Mean-Old-Man-Amazon-com-Exclusive/dp/B002X78R26/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1278807816&sr=1-3

Listen to the new version of "Rockin' my life away" (unfortunately with Slash and Kid Rock who does a bad job imo) here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs9ootXcNLg

JLL's daughter Phoebe wrote this on facebook:

Phoebe Lewis
the new Jerry Lee Lewis album Mean Old Man is not available yet but we just got an advance copy and listened to it. It is so great!! y'all are gonna love it. and you don't have long to wait.

And don't miss the Killer's performance (solo, no band !!) and the R'n'R-Hall of fame celebration last october:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvg9jxNHd68

Kiss my ass if you can find a stool tall enough to stand on!! - Jerry Lee Lewis

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 02:25:44 PM »

Jerry Lee Lewis backed by all-star lineup on new album
Story by Rob Evans
SoundSpike Editor
Published July 14, 2010 04:33 PM
Some of the biggest names in rock, blues and country back up legendary rock 'n' roller Jerry Lee Lewis [ tickets ] on his forthcoming album, "Mean Old Man," due in stores Sept. 7.

Produced by Jim Keltner and Steve Bing in Memphis and Los Angeles, the album features a list of side musicians, writers and back-up singers that includes Eric Clapton, Mick Jagger, Sheryl Crow, John Fogerty, Merle Haggard, Tim McGraw, Willie Nelson, Keith Richards, Robbie Robertson, Slash, Mavis Staples, John Mayer, Solomon Burke, Kid Rock, Ringo Starr, Nils Lofgren, Kris Kristofferson and Shelby Lynne.
The title track, penned by Kristofferson and featuring Ronnie Wood, is streaming at Lewis' website.

The album will be released as a 10-track standard CD and an 18-track deluxe set. The track listing and guests on each are listed below.

Lewis is currently touring Europe; his full itinerary is at right.

18-track deluxe
1. "Mean Old Man" w. Ronnie Wood (written by Kris Kristofferson)
2. "You Can Have Her" w. Eric Clapton/James Burton
3. "Dead Flowers" w. Mick Jagger
4. "Middle Age Crazy" w. Tim McGraw/Jon Brion
5. "Rockin' My Life Away" w. Kid Rock/Slash
6. "You Are My Sunshine" w. Sheryl Crow/Jon Brion
7. "Swinging Doors" w. Merle Haggard/James Burton
8. "Hold You In My Heart" w. Shelby Lynne
9. "I Really Don't Want To Know" w. Gillian Welch
10. "Railroad to Heaven" w. Solomon Burke
11. "Sweet Virginia" w. Keith Richards
12. "Roll Over Beethoven" w. Ringo Starr/John Mayer/Jon Brion
13. "Bad Moon Rising" w. John Fogerty
14. "Please Release Me" w. Gillian Welch
15. "Whiskey River" w. Willie Nelson
16. "Sunday Morning Coming Down"
17. "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" w. Mavis Staples/Robbie Robertson/Nils Lofgren
18. "Miss The Mississippi and You"

10-track standard
3. "Sweet Virginia" w. Keith Richards
4. "Rockin' My Life Away" w. Kid Rock/Slash
5. "Roll Over Beethoven" w. Ringo Starr/John Mayer/Jon Brion
6. "Bad Moon Rising" w. John Fogerty
7. "Dead Flowers" w. Mick Jagger
8. "You Are My Sunshine" w. Sheryl Crow/Jon Brion
9. "Whiskey River" w. Willie Nelson
10. "Middle Age Crazy" w. Tim McGraw/Jon Brion

iTunes Bonus track:
11. Here Comes That Rainbow w. Shelby Lynne
Jerry Lee Lewis backed by all-star lineup on new album
Story by Rob Evans
SoundSpike Editor
Published July 14, 2010 04:33 PM
Some of the biggest names in rock, blues and country back up legendary rock 'n' roller Jerry Lee Lewis [ tickets ] on his forthcoming album, "Mean Old Man," due in stores Sept. 7.

Produced by Jim Keltner and Steve Bing in Memphis and Los Angeles, the album features a list of side musicians, writers and back-up singers that includes Eric Clapton, Mick Jagger, Sheryl Crow, John Fogerty, Merle Haggard, Tim McGraw, Willie Nelson, Keith Richards, Robbie Robertson, Slash, Mavis Staples, John Mayer, Solomon Burke, Kid Rock, Ringo Starr, Nils Lofgren, Kris Kristofferson and Shelby Lynne.
The title track, penned by Kristofferson and featuring Ronnie Wood, is streaming at Lewis' website.

The album will be released as a 10-track standard CD and an 18-track deluxe set. The track listing and guests on each are listed below.

Lewis is currently touring Europe; his full itinerary is at right.

18-track deluxe
3. "Dead Flowers" w. Mick Jagger
4. "Middle Age Crazy" w. Tim McGraw/Jon Brion
5. "Rockin' My Life Away" w. Kid Rock/Slash
6. "You Are My Sunshine" w. Sheryl Crow/Jon Brion
7. "Swinging Doors" w. Merle Haggard/James Burton
8. "Hold You In My Heart" w. Shelby Lynne
9. "I Really Don't Want To Know" w. Gillian Welch
10. "Railroad to Heaven" w. Solomon Burke
11. "Sweet Virginia" w. Keith Richards
12. "Roll Over Beethoven" w. Ringo Starr/John Mayer/Jon Brion
13. "Bad Moon Rising" w. John Fogerty
14. "Please Release Me" w. Gillian Welch
15. "Whiskey River" w. Willie Nelson
16. "Sunday Morning Coming Down"
17. "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" w. Mavis Staples/Robbie Robertson/Nils Lofgren
18. "Miss The Mississippi and You"

10-track standard
3. "Sweet Virginia" w. Keith Richards
4. "Rockin' My Life Away" w. Kid Rock/Slash
5. "Roll Over Beethoven" w. Ringo Starr/John Mayer/Jon Brion
6. "Bad Moon Rising" w. John Fogerty
7. "Dead Flowers" w. Mick Jagger
8. "You Are My Sunshine" w. Sheryl Crow/Jon Brion
9. "Whiskey River" w. Willie Nelson
10. "Middle Age Crazy" w. Tim McGraw/Jon Brion

iTunes Bonus track:
11. Here Comes That Rainbow w. Shelby Lynne

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 10:51:19 AM »

I'll bet Whiskey River is one hell of a cover.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 10:21:41 PM »

When I first saw "Jerry Lee Lewis" on first glance when I logged in, I thought it would be saying that he passed. My heart stopped a little bit.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 06:44:46 AM »

When I first saw "Jerry Lee Lewis" on first glance when I logged in, I thought it would be saying that he passed. My heart stopped a little bit.

Don't be afraid, the Killer never ain't gonna die...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnBGTSAbnh0&feature=player_embedded   (He was absolutely right)

Unfortunately he's sick accnd had an operation, so some concerts are cancelled.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 07:31:35 AM »

Isn't it interesting (at least to me) that Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Jerry Lee are ALL still kicking?  That's like the holy trinity right there.  I guess you could make a strong case for Elvis should be in the same group of 'founding fathers' but he was slightly later (on a large level) than all three of these cats wasn't he? 

When you listen to Chuck, Little Richard, or Jerry Lee live, well into their what, 80's now?  They all still have it in their blood.  Even Little Richard, I know he's hard to admire but I saw him a year or so ago on that talent show he was hosting (may have been America's got talent) and at the end of the season or whatever, he showed them how it was done.  He STILL sounded great.  Chuck Berry is ancient but in my opinion, he still sounds great.  I know his riffs and things are crazy anymore but I feel he was always a bit like that.  Jerry Lee is nearly everything he once was, lol.

They've got Rock & Roll in their Blood! 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 08:47:07 AM »

Isn't it interesting (at least to me) that Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Jerry Lee are ALL still kicking?  That's like the holy trinity right there.  I guess you could make a strong case for Elvis should be in the same group of 'founding fathers' but he was slightly later (on a large level) than all three of these cats wasn't he? 

No, Elvis made his first record in '54. Chuck's first was in '55 and Jerry Lee debuted in late '56. I believe Richard began recording in '51 but in the jump-blues style afaIk. His first classic Rock'n'Roll records was cut in '55.

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 08:35:47 PM »

Chuck's been around as a performer though since the late 1940's. If anybody deserves to be called "originator', it's him. He and Bill Haly(sp?) were pretty much the inventor's of Rock&Roll as we know it today.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2010, 02:36:32 AM »

Chuck's been around as a performer though since the late 1940's. If anybody deserves to be called "originator', it's him. He and Bill Haly(sp?) were pretty much the inventor's of Rock&Roll as we know it today.

Well, Chuck was playing alot of blues back then. Bill Haley was cutting hillbilly-records before "Rock around the clock". And even a teenage Elvis was from time to time playing, when he had a chance. Lowell Fulsom (legendary bluesman) remembers that he played in a club with Elvis on Beale, singing "Keep your hands off" in '53. But you see, no one invented rock'n'roll, it just happened, it's just  a way of interpreting songs. Most people didn't know they were doing something new, because, like in Elvis' case, they said they heard the black folks doing this for their whole life (of course their own style was this "new" which melted the two different poles). If you wanna call something the start of rock'n'roll "as we know it tday" though, you better go with the irst record, then you can't do anything wrong with "Rocket 88" by Jackie Brenston and Ike Turner. Culturally though, Elvis was the start, because he not only influenced the music, but also the whole movement like no one else. Chuck never had that much impact and Bill Haley, bless his soul, never in a million years could come close.
But Chuck by no means could be called the "originator", in fact no one else could, because the big guys were all stylists. What came after them were just people who think in categories and try to copy.

So, to get some JLL back in here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYoyx2O-tA8&feature=related
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 02:38:05 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 02:16:22 PM »

I saw Jerry Lee Lewis circa 1975 at a county fair in South Florida.  I listened to "The Session" a lot and actually quite liked his country stuff ("I-40 Country on 8-track tape was a fave).  Anyway, he was doing a pro forma type show -- playing the hits, playing the keys with his feet and ass and stopping a song midway to comb his greasy hair -- that kinda schtick, all good clean fun.  About halfway through show during "Me and Bobby McGee" he starts playing the piano just absolutely possessed., building his solo verse after verse -- uncanny...other worldly.  For about half an hour it was one of the greatest performances I ever saw.  Then back to the schtick.

I also have an ex-cop buddy of mine who worked as security at shows and tells an amazing story of Jerry Lee flying him in his plane drunk as skunks.  Just before the show he was passed out in the dressing room -- they were showering him, giving him coffee, all that stuff and figuring he couldn't make it.  The curtain went up and he performed as if he were stone cold sober and knocked 'em dead.

The Killer.......

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 11:45:31 AM »

Great story ! Thanks for sharing...

Just a few days ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEaeEwu8OM8&feature=player_embedded

- Jack Rieley
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 01:09:08 PM »

It's a shame that we have to have all those musical 'hangers-on' on so many records by veteran artists. Personally, out of that whole massive list of 'celebrity guests', I'm only  interested in hearing Jer Lee play with James Burton (one of the great rock n' roll/ country guitarists, played with Elvis, Ricky Nelson etc) and maybe Keef Richard. But all those damn co-vocalists make JLL look like a guest on his own album   Huh.

I suppose they think it'll mean more sales. Wish they'd taken the Johnny Cash/ Rick Rubin route and given JLL the full spotlight with maybe one celebrity duet, say with cousin Jimmy Swaggert  LOL. Maybe that's why Little Richard and Chuck Berry have never recorded seriously since, like the '70s, cos they don't wanna have to keep pushin Keef, Bruce Springsteen or whoever it is on a dream trip out of the way, so they can actually get to the mike  Roll Eyes.

Out of the surviving great rock n' rollers, I've long felt sad that Little Richard especially hasn't made a proper record since lord knows when, as he clearly still has 'it'.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 07:15:50 PM »

According to the AMG website, the last album of all original material from Little Richard was released in 1986. Chuck Berry hasn't released an album since 1973, I believe.

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 08:15:36 PM »

Chuck Berry released a pretty good LP called "Rockit" in the mid/late 70s I am fairly sure.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx