gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681510 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 06:19:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting ebay listing  (Read 3053 times)
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2009, 01:00:29 PM »

Was just 'cleaning things up' on my computer, and I noticed something I had clicked to 'Watch this item' back in July.  It was another of those "worn by Dennis Wilson" items, and I'd clicked on this just to see what it eventually would sell for; (not that I'd ever sell anything he gave to me!)  Imagine my surprise, when in cleaning things out, I discovered I'm connected to this item, too, in the description and story given.  Thought some would find this interesting:

Beach Boys’ Dennis Wilson Personally-owned Sweatshirt
Given to me by Dennis in 1978

Ended: Aug 02, 200916:00:45 PDT

Bid history: 10 bids

Winning bid: US $51.00

On the heels of the release of his now-acclaimed “Pacific Ocean Blue” LP, I interviewed Dennis Wilson at Brother Studios in January 1978.  The most memorable highlight of our chat that day was the revelation that he had recently unearthed the Beach Boys’ legendary “Smile” tapes, often purported to have been lost or even destroyed by his brother Brian.  Some of this conversation was featured in the radio program “The Robert W. Morgan Special of the Week” later that year.  At the conclusion of our interview, Dennis had engineer Earle Mankey cue up the mythic “Fire” section of “Smile’s” Elements Suite and Dennis tried to maintain a poker face as my jaw dropped to the floor.

This wasn’t my first or last conversation with Dennis, but it was the one that led to a casual friendship that persisted over the next four years.  The last time I saw him was probably a year before his death.  I acquired this sweatshirt, however, a few months after the aforementioned interview, in the spring of ’78. 

I had run into Dennis at Venice Beach, who convinced me to make the schlep up to Chez Jay’s bar in Santa Monica with him and his friend Eddie Roach.  It was my first time in the legendary watering hole, and my first time drinking tequila shots.  Dennis was at his funny, charming best, and he was definitely the king in his court there that day.  After a couple of hours, we headed back south to Venice to hit another venue, but Dennis detoured to the marina where his boat, Harmony, was moored to pick up some cash.

As the sun had now set, I was freezing in shorts and a short-sleeved shirt, so Dennis grabbed this sweatshirt for me from the boat.  When I earnestly promised to get it back to him soon he just laughed at me.

I continued to wear the sweatshirt for years.  I didn’t think of it as an artifact, it just had a nice set of memories attached to it.  By the time that it started to fray and fall apart, Dennis had long since passed away, and the memory of that afternoon and evening precluded any thought of tossing it out.  In the years since, I have become an inveterate Beach Boys collector, but I don’t collect clothes.  And having unearthed this item after squirreling it away in a closet for nearly 20 years, it seemed like time to pass it on.

I've just written to the person listing this, asking who the heck he is?!?!  However, I bet someone here will nail it before I even hear back from him!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 04:35:13 PM »

Do you think it was legit?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Nicole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 09:40:32 PM »

Wow, that's cool. I'm kind of surprised it had 10 bids and only went up to $51.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 11:45:42 PM »

Wow.  That's kind of a low selling price.  It would take at least $1000 for me to part with something like that.  At LEAST that much.
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 05:54:19 AM »

Ed, make sure you let us know when you find out!!!!!
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 09:14:29 AM »

It was legit, alright!  Got an email from the fellow last night; turns out he 'reminded' me of our initial meeting at a CWF event several years ago...  He also told me another story, about Carl's solo show at The Roxy.  I doubt he'd mind if I quoted him here:  "I reminded you of that story --and Dennis' introducing me to Cuervo!-- and also the time that he showed up with his parade of surfers from the beach at Carl's solo premiere at the Roxy. 

Dennis was fairly drunk, as you'll recall, and kept hollering throughout the show.  Carl was so annoyed.  I was sitting at a table on the riser directly behind Dennis, and I reached down and put my hand on his shoulder and said, "Hey, Dennis, cool it."  He jumped up, turned around, and started to take a swing at me, then saw who it was and stopped in his tracks and said, "Sorry, man."

That was some strange night!  (Also the night Dennis & Shawn actually 'got together'!)  Dennis rented tuxes for just about everybody, (I refused, but gave in a little and wore a 3 piece suit), and several of them were sold  the next day on Venice Beach!  I've got some real interesting pictures from that night, including one of all 3 Wilson boys backstage after the show!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 04:22:17 PM »

Great story, Ed!  Thanks so much for sharing, 'cause these stories of yours are such a great  way to keep Dennis alive for us.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 05:03:22 PM »

Pictures or bust!!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Nicole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 05:14:21 PM »

Ed, you are an impossibly lucky guy. I love reading the stories and memories you post.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 07:16:48 PM »

It was   I've got some real interesting pictures from that night, including one of all 3 Wilson boys backstage after the show!

Hey Ed -

Hope you can post at least one photo.  (And in the not too distant future you've gotta do a book!)  I hadn't realized Dennis and Brian had been backstage.  When I was backstage after the show I encountered Carl, Bruce, and Audry Wilson.  Talked to Brian before and after Carl's concert, and definitely heard Dennis (who was continually shouting and cheering from toward the back of the Roxy) but never saw him.  The LA Times reviewer, not realizing that Carl's most vocal fan was his brother Dennis, wrote "Sometimes those guys (the fans) seemed a mite overappreciative.  The modest falsetto in 'Heaven,' for example, hardly seemed worth screaming about."

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 09:06:33 PM »

Come on Ed, let's see some more of your fantastic photos!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 09:58:47 PM »

I think a few are here.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,6812.msg109387.html#msg109387
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 10:26:59 PM »

Your stories are always fantastic Ed, I enjoy reading them all immensely!

I'm pretty shocked too that the winning bid was only $51.  I would have expected at least a few hundred.
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 06:50:47 AM »

Thanks for the update Ed. What I want to know, is what,who, how much, and what can WE do to talk you into publishing your story and photos?Huh? NOT just because you were Dennis' best buddy, but because it seems like you've had such a cool (most of the time), life. You've lived the life that so many here wish they could have.  I know it's a time consuming thing, but Ed, you have GOT to do it!!!!!

How can we help?Huh??
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 06:05:26 AM »

Ed, what were Dennis' thoughts about Carl's solo tour?  Especially in light of The Beach Boys telling Dennis he couldn't do a solo tour a few years earlier?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx