gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681011 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 02:58:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Must They Have Thought?  (Read 13002 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2009, 05:43:33 PM »

What must the Beach Boys have thought during the "Brian's Back" campaign? I was just watching some of the youtube stuff from that era (and you'll see a specific link below). Brian is terrible. Yes, Brian is back. He's writing songs. And for those of us looking back, it's fun to note his "brianisms," the quirkiness, the humor, and even the brilliance in, say, the Love You songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIgyeJQ6peA&feature=related

But when you watch the clips like this one ... it would suck to be any other Beach Boy, I'd think. "Airplane," a beautiful song ... and Brian yells gruffly. "Back Home," and Brian flips out and then yells. I don't see any fun in this (even though I know others have said it's a matter of them goofing off). It's just terrible, both musically and just in terms of human dignity.

Being a part of the band that had been touring with great success for half a dozen years or so by the time this show came around must have been just terrible. What would someone like Carl, with those great ears, think as his previously angelic-voiced cousin barked? Or Mike, a showman, with Brian making faces or throwing tantrums? Or those hired backup musicians, wondering whether the paycheck was worth being in a group therapy session.

Not a new topic, no.  But every so often I wonder how terrible the "Brian is Back" thing really was. Now is one of those "every so oftens."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 05:49:03 PM »

Agree, Luther- it was a tasteless freak show.  Haven't checked out your link yet, but will as soon as Bowie finishes up on my iTunes.

Heads up: someone will dog you out now for typing "cousin" for "brother" after Carl.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 05:56:37 PM »

Heads up: someone will dog you out now for typing "cousin" for "brother" after Carl.

I'm a drunk. Anyone who wants to nitpick my inebriated errors can f*** off. But you, sir, are a fine person or your forgiving nature!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 06:15:13 PM »

When you've got the trained bear on stage, you don't taunt him or he screws with the formula/vocals of Back Home...

btw, i like how Al says: "we're gonna make you feel right at home," as Mike and Brian scream at each other....yeah, make us feel like were in the home of Murry Wilson!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 06:24:31 PM »

Man, ya blew it Luther!  You were supposed to silently edit your post, and then I'd silently edit mine, thus concealing your alcoholic disgrace and making me an enabler.

Brian clearly doesn't belong on that stage, but I really like how Mike sort of sells the song. His performance has a lot of sincerity.  The lyrics are a little less distracting to me live, too. I wish Love You had been able to cop a little of this energy.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 06:28:48 PM »

My alcoholic disgrace has long since been a public spectacle, sir. I'm not too worried about it. Let the world enjoy our un-edited posts in all their glory.

And also, slightly more on topic, do you think in his more lucid moments it bothers Brian to know he's been the worst singer on the stage every single time he's been on one in the past 30 years? Considering his previous virtuosity, it must. Think about it. It would kill a guy.

TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 06:38:03 PM »

Oh my goodness ... that was a train wreck ... horrible.

I can even forgive Mike for looking at his watch ...  Roll Eyes
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 06:39:04 PM »

My alcoholic disgrace has long since been a public spectacle, sir. I'm not too worried about it. Let the world enjoy our un-edited posts in all their glory.
LOL

And also, slightly more on topic, do you think in his more lucid moments it bothers Brian to know he's been the worst singer on the stage every single time he's been on one in the past 30 years? Considering his previous virtuosity, it must. Think about it. It would kill a guy.

Incidentally, my comments above, as I should have said, referred to "Airplane".  (I'm also crazily drunk, posting from my knees and vomiting into a trash can between syllables).

You know, after all these years I just have no insight into Brian's mind.  The change that began in the Spring of 1967 is so complete by this point- except on those very rare occasions as late as '88 when we sawglimpses of "Old Brian"- that I just can't really answer that question, but it's a good question and I've thought about it in various forms. One thing, to me, about his current singing is that he often seems emotionally disconnected from it.

And as a sort of answer to that, when I saw this video, it went through my mind that by this time Brian was so surrounded by positivity and total approval whenever he attempted anything that he may have lost some additional perspective on himself, as happens to almost all rock stars.  "I'm Brian Wilson, I make hit records with the wave of my hand...what, me off key?  Me?"
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 06:40:20 PM by Surfer Joe » Logged

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 06:49:32 PM »

At certain points, I doubt that anything much occurred to him. Particularly in the early instances of getting back on stage, I'd imagine Brian was medicating himself or being medicated to a large extent and just focusing entirely on getting through shows. But when he's generally aware of what's going on, as I would assume/hope he is these days, it must be tough to be unable to sing the majority of his own parts.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 06:51:07 PM »

LOL

Incidentally, my comments above, as I should have said, referred to "Airplane".  (I'm also crazily drunk, posting from my knees and vomiting into a trash can between syllables).

You know, after all these years I just have no insight into Brian's mind.  The change that began in the Spring of 1967 is so complete by this point- except on those very rare occasions as late as '88 when we sawglimpses of "Old Brian"- that I just can't really answer that question, but it's a good question and I've thought about it in various forms. One thing, to me, about his current singing is that he often seems emotionally disconnected from it.

And as a sort of answer to that, when I saw this video, it went through my mind that by this time Brian was so surrounded by positivity and total approval whenever he attempted anything that he may have lost some additional perspective on himself, as happens to almost all rock stars.  "I'm Brian Wilson, I make hit records with the wave of my hand...what, me off key?  Me?"

Well ya know, Brian did sing in the "key of BW"!!! LOL LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 06:55:15 PM »

btw, i like how Al says: "we're gonna make you feel right at home," as Mike and Brian scream at each other....yeah, make us feel like were in the home of Murry Wilson!

Again (!), Mike was not arguing or screaming at Brian; it was an attempt by Mike to psych up Brian or keep him interested or whatever. Mike was just playing around. Nobody in the band (at that time anyway) had the guts to actually confront Brian for several reasons....

Now, to address Luther's question....It's a simple answer. You actually touched upon it in your post. It WAS therapy for Brian. It was something he had to go through; he had to confront the touring, the live audience, the singing, eventually playing the bass, etc. - all the while being stoned! You know yourself, Luther, being a musician, you can TALK about it all you want, but you have to go through it to grow, you have to experience it. I really believe, that, if Brian wasn't on "something" during the shows like you highlighted in your link, he would've done much, much better, a lot like he did in the last few years of his recent solo career.

And, you raised the question, why did the others go along with it, put up with it if you will? First, for the money, which ALWAYS drove the band. But, second, and this is what you were really asking...because they really believed in Brian. They must've seen SOMETHING still there. He was still creating good stuff in the studio, we have proof of that with Love You. But, they also must've thought that he would continue to improve "live", which he did to a point. If you listen to some of the later concerts in 1977, Brian sounds much improved (now, nothing like 1964), and playing more and more bass. And, physically, he LOOKED like he was getting better. Check him out in 1978 on The Midnight Special; he's downright skinny. Even some of the interviews in 1976 show him to be at least insightful (i.e. The Mike Douglas Show).

I guess they were trying to be optimistic; trying to be positive. If they could've kept the drugs away, and I don't know the specifics of the hospitalization right around L.A. (Light Album), who knows, he might've made it. Obviously, SOMETHING was still there, because it eventually came out in the early 2000's. So many times I see or hear Brian perform today, and do relatively well, and think, THAT'S what they were expecting with the original Brian's Back in 1976. They (the group) just didn't know how to pull it off - if indeed there was a way...
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 09:08:17 PM »

Sorry, I didn't realize that....i was convinced he was yelling at him...we know Mike's temper.

At this time in 77, who was in charge of the caretaking of Brian; Landy or Stan (Mike's brother or cousin?)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 09:08:48 PM »

I've often wondered that actually.  Not that I can relate to being able to sing like a young Brian Wilson, but I know that if I went from having a voice like he had to the voice we see in this video, I probably wouldn't even want to sing in public at all.  However, as you said Luther, around this time he probably didn't care much about it.  He wasn't the same perfectionist he used to be, and was just trying to get through the shows.  He really didn't seem to care about how his singing sounded.

As for today, Brian can be mostly forgiven for his voice, as it has improved a lot relative to where it was in the clip you posted, and has especially improved in the last few years.  Plus, he's 67 years old, so it's really okay that he has an "old guy" voice.  And it's not as if he's alone...have you heard Elton John live the last few years?  His voice has gone downhill as well.  It's depressing, but it happens.  Brian should be proud that he has brought his voice back from cigarette-scarred oblivion to sound pretty damn good for a guy his age.  

On some level though, I would imagine it must be a bit weird for Brian rehearsing with the band and singing bass parts while watching someone else sing what used to be his parts, parts that he originally wrote with his voice in mind.  I think every singer struggles with that as they age, to some degree.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 09:10:04 PM »

Again (!), Mike was not arguing or screaming at Brian; it was an attempt by Mike to psych up Brian or keep him interested or whatever. Mike was just playing around.

What makes you say that? Because it sure doesn't look like fun to me.

Jason
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 09:22:07 PM »

Man, this is 1977...the freak show was just BEGINNING. Listen to some early 1982 boots. Smiley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 09:31:59 PM »

Oh man, that was a gorgeous song turned to hell, Brian just did not give a sh*t.

By the by, how was the attendance for a BB show around time, that link Luther posted for example, was that in front of a big crowd?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 12:07:09 AM »

It looks like in the middle of the song, while Brian is singing and Mike is looking at and gets closer to Brian, then Brian suddenly jerks the bass and almost hits Mike in the face! I think Mike was really irritating Brian or something!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 12:21:39 AM »

I've often wondered that actually.  Not that I can relate to being able to sing like a young Brian Wilson, but I know that if I went from having a voice like he had to the voice we see in this video, I probably wouldn't even want to sing in public at all.  However, as you said Luther, around this time he probably didn't care much about it.  He wasn't the same perfectionist he used to be, and was just trying to get through the shows.  He really didn't seem to care about how his singing sounded.

Worse than that -- remember the quotes from around that time where Brian said he didn't like his old voice, and actually preferred a more low and manly one.  (Which someone suggested was part of the whole "gotta be a man now that Murry's gone" thing.)  That's the saddest idea of the whole change for me, the idea that Brian (at least partially) actively destroyed his voice with the smoking.

The idea of being a Brian Wilson who can no longer sing like Brian Wilson is sad, but the idea of being a Brian Wilson who doesn't want to sing like Brian Wilson is just plain horrifying...

Brr,
Jon Blum
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 02:15:20 AM »

Am I the only one who LOVED that performance?

Brian seemed really into it, putting a lot of energy into his vocals, and performing 2 songs from Love You? Brilliant! Airplane was a beautiful song, not sure about the flute, but Mike did a great job with his vocal, despite acting the all round Professional Tw*t.

The rough edges were great, I would pay good money to see a show like this today. I don't like the bland performances of most BB live shows - i think after 1973, they were a pretty dull live band generally.

Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 03:16:05 AM »

I used to have a terrific interview with Brian on tape from 1988, when he was out promoting the solo album.  It was one of those rare appearances of "lucid" Brian, and he was answering great questions about stuff like "Guess I'm Dumb", Derek Taylor, and "River Deep, Mountain High" and was fully engaged in the conversation.  He was asked about the high voice and why he stopped singing in that range, and he said "I just thought the time for that voice had passed."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 05:48:06 AM »

I like those performances.  Cry

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 06:28:28 AM »

I like those performances.  Cry

So do I. It's easy to tell it was a tough period for the group, though. Check out Carl singining "All This Is That" from the same concert, it's heartbreaking.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 09:24:01 AM »

Some people may construe this show as Brian being ahead of his time yet again...or at least keeping up with current trends. He seems to be embracing punk with his gruff singing/screaming!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 09:31:56 AM »

Just a thought...

Performers often over do it on stage when it comes to singing/shouting because in many cases, it's difficult to hear the sound of your own voice. What the performer can hear, and what the audience can hear is a totally different thing!

Not saying that this is the reason for Brian going that rout, but it might be a contributing factor to his frustration there.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 02:17:24 PM »

Again (!), Mike was not arguing or screaming at Brian; it was an attempt by Mike to psych up Brian or keep him interested or whatever. Mike was just playing around.

What makes you say that? Because it sure doesn't look like fun to me.

It's obvious to me that Mike is play acting, over-exaggerating, trying to communicate with a stoned Brian. It's like he's playing this rough, football player/coach exhorting "C'mon Brian, get up to that mic and nail it. Sing your guts out. You show 'em. Now get in there..." It's unfortunate that a simple thumbs up or pat on the back wouldn't suffice, but look at who Mike's talking to and the shape he was in.

And, like I said before, there's no way anybody was gonna get mad at Brian at that stage, or show it anyway. They were kissing his ass in 1976-77. They were just happy he showed up; they weren't gonna do anything to scare him away.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx