gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681221 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 07:12:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Marks Happy BD  (Read 2906 times)
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2009, 01:04:22 AM »

To the lost & found Beach Boy,
 Hope you had some cake?
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 02:43:44 AM »

Happy Birthday to a hell of a great guy and a tremendous talent and spirit, and fellow Burbank survivor.  Had the pleasure to meet (and bother) Mr. and Mrs. Marks here in Atlanta a few weeks ago, and- along with the stellar, very spontaneous performance he gave us- it's one of those rare Beach Boys moments I'll treasure until they box me up.

Spotting my copy of the book and the pen in my hand, he motioned me over to the bar where a meal had just been placed before him. Here's the opening dialogue:

SJ: I really hate to bother a guy while he's eating dinner.
DM (big David Marks grin, handshake  extended): B___s___!

A hell of a guy, God bless 'em both, and Happy Birthday.

Red Bull lifted to DLM on what I'll call the Roger Maris birthday. A twenty-one squirt gun salute.

Now give us another album.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 08:04:37 AM »

Happy B-Day, Have a good one  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Nicole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 08:47:32 AM »

Happy birthday, David!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 11:39:40 AM »

Hope David has a great birthday, with many more to come.

Great little story SJ! 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 11:40:34 AM by Chris Brown » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 03:22:47 PM »

Happy birthday ! Hope we'll hear more from you

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 04:24:27 PM »

Hope you had a great birthday David!! Wishing all the best to you & your family:)

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 08:03:19 PM »

Happy birthday Dave!!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 12:19:09 PM »

Happy Birthday to a hell of a great guy and a tremendous talent and spirit, and fellow Burbank survivor.  Had the pleasure to meet (and bother) Mr. and Mrs. Marks here in Atlanta a few weeks ago, and- along with the stellar, very spontaneous performance he gave us- it's one of those rare Beach Boys moments I'll treasure until they box me up.

Spotting my copy of the book and the pen in my hand, he motioned me over to the bar where a meal had just been placed before him. Here's the opening dialogue:

SJ: I really hate to bother a guy while he's eating dinner.
DM (big David Marks grin, handshake  extended): B___s___!

A hell of a guy, God bless 'em both, and Happy Birthday.

Red Bull lifted to DLM on what I'll call the Roger Maris birthday. A twenty-one squirt gun salute.

Now give us another album.

Where in Atlanta did you run into him at?
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 02:01:22 PM »

Happy Birthday!!
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 03:57:27 PM »

Where in Atlanta did you run into him at?

On August 2, he played at a club downtown called Eddie's Attic.  It was a Sunday night, and on the previous Friday, with everything else going on, I got an e-mail from ESQ about their convention, followed a link to a blog with information about that, scrolled down, and was just boggled to spot a notice that David Marks would be playing a solo show here in Atlanta in about 52 hours. I tried to round up two buddies here in town from this board, and one who had also heard about it somehow tried to round me up, all with no luck.  Of course the last guy and I hooked up at the show.  When I walked in, there he was, the Lost Legend, just walking around like a person, and mingling.

I spotted Carrie and introduced myself, and she brought Dave over, and I got to talk to him for a few minutes before the show, and a good while afterward.  Oddly, we talked about just about everything but the Beach Boys. It was a great experience in itself to connect with a guy like that, but the show itself...when I get the time and energy I'll write a review of that either as its own thread or added to Carrie's thread above.

This sort of thing doesn't really happen in Atlanta much; it made me nostalgic for Burbank, when I was right near everything and everybody all the time. I used to always think that one day I'd go to the movies and there would be Brian, sitting with his hand on his chin.  Happened to friends of mine. I never spotted him out and about, though.

I told Carrie that I had looked Dave up in the Burbank phone book in the nineties, and thought he lived right behind me, but she told me, after all these years, that Dave was unlisted and that was another guy.  Dave added that the guy had not only the same first and last name, but the same middle name, too, with the result that Dave once got pulled over for speeding and then hauled in by the cops on that guy's warrant.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 01:46:27 PM »

Nice, I live in Atlanta as well, been to the Attic on many occasions. Even played on that stage once.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 02:16:15 PM »

I'm guessing from your handle that you played bass.  And from your sig pic, are you an Atlanta animator?

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 04:33:54 PM »

Happy (belated) birthday, David!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 07:18:06 AM »

I'm guessing from your handle that you played bass.  And from your sig pic, are you an Atlanta animator?

I do play bass and guitar. I'm not an animator but I do work at Turner, hense the Squidbilly.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx