gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:09:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike now talking 50th Reunion with Brian  (Read 25312 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 08, 2009, 07:41:51 PM »

Yes, it would be quite feasible to utilize the talents of a Matt Jardine or Jeff Foskett to sing the high harmony as "insurance". They have both been used effectively on projects like Stars and Stripes and Brian's solo albums. Really, the harmonies are not a big concern of mine. I won't say how good (or bad?) they'll sound, but I know they'll sound a little different. Again, with the right producer, studio technology, Brian's vocal arranging, and the guys' rising to the occasion, I'm confident and optimistic. I really believe the days of Love You and Getting In Over My Head - vocally - are a thing of the past.
I was really gonna leave it alone, SJS, but the temptation was just too much. The harmonies aren't a big concern of yours? If you mean you don't care, I guess that's your business (though it's a lame-ass BBs record to lack good harmonies). If you mean that you think the real, live BBs are fine on their own without the likes of Jardine the Younger (muscley feller, ain't he? and sweet ponytail) or Foskett or someone else, uh, yowzers. Those better be some lower, tighter arrangements. That or we won't just have the never-ending digital tuning bitching, but flat-out pitch-shifting going on. You're kind of like  Lou Holtz or something. You definitely should have been a coach. Your optimistic confidence is remarkable.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2009, 08:19:40 PM »

I think if you plug Matt and Jeff in with Mike Bruce, Al, and I guess Brian, though sometimes he doesnt sing the backing parts, it would be a good sound. I would put Jeff on Carl's part and Matt on the high harmony personally. Dave doesn't sing every song either, so you can plug him where he wants to sing. You wanna throw in a Cowsill or Totten, can't hurt.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »

Without the heart and soul of the group (namely Dennis and Carl), I just don't care for new Beach Boys material. 
So I guess you don't like songs like Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder), I'm Waiting for the Day, Let's Go Away for Awhile, I Just Wasn't Made for These Times, Pet Sounds, and Caroline No... none of those have Carl or Dennis on them.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2009, 05:10:53 AM »

I think that a great harmony blend could be achieved, but they would need a couple of extra voices...one for falsetto parts, and one for the higher tenor parts.  Even without Carl's, Dennis', and "Brian at 23" voices.  I wasn't able to see Al with Brian in person for any of those shows that they did together, but from what I heard on various YouTube clips, just adding Al's voice to Brian's made for a much more authentic sounding Beach Boys blend.  The timbre of those two original BBs voices together was great, but add in Mike's signature bass tone, and some of his famous nasal whine, put Bruce in there on some mid-range parts, and augment with Foskett or Matt Jardine or Christian Love...hell, I'd buy it.   Whatever it is.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2009, 06:27:38 AM »

I'm in favor of them trying it. Even if Carl and/or Dennis were still alive, in 2009, the harmony blend would not be the same anyway. All of their voices have changed over the years. Bring in Christian and Matt, and keep it in the family.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2009, 08:40:23 AM »

First of all, these suggested lineups would likely make for a good sounding group and blend, but it still won't be the Beach Boys. Second...it won't happen anyway.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2009, 08:59:07 AM »

First of all, these suggested lineups would likely make for a good sounding group and blend, but it still won't be the Beach Boys. Second...it won't happen anyway.

First, yeah, it wouldn't be the Beach Boys, but I'd buy it anyway.
Second, you're likely correct.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2009, 12:45:12 PM »

I'm in favor of them trying it. Even if Carl and/or Dennis were still alive, in 2009, the harmony blend would not be the same anyway. All of their voices have changed over the years.

The blend wasn't already the same when Dennis was still alive.
Brian's and Dennis' voices changed dramatically around the mid-70s and also Mike's went through a change, becoming very nasal and losing some deepnes imo. I'd even say that, except for a few lucky occasions, the magic was gone by '76/'77

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 09, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »

Yes, it would be quite feasible to utilize the talents of a Matt Jardine or Jeff Foskett to sing the high harmony as "insurance". They have both been used effectively on projects like Stars and Stripes and Brian's solo albums. Really, the harmonies are not a big concern of mine. I won't say how good (or bad?) they'll sound, but I know they'll sound a little different. Again, with the right producer, studio technology, Brian's vocal arranging, and the guys' rising to the occasion, I'm confident and optimistic. I really believe the days of Love You and Getting In Over My Head - vocally - are a thing of the past.
I was really gonna leave it alone, SJS, but the temptation was just too much. The harmonies aren't a big concern of yours? If you mean you don't care, I guess that's your business (though it's a lame-ass BBs record to lack good harmonies). If you mean that you think the real, live BBs are fine on their own without the likes of Jardine the Younger (muscley feller, ain't he? and sweet ponytail) or Foskett or someone else, uh, yowzers. Those better be some lower, tighter arrangements. That or we won't just have the never-ending digital tuning bitching, but flat-out pitch-shifting going on. You're kind of like  Lou Holtz or something. You definitely should have been a coach. Your optimistic confidence is remarkable.

Neither of the above examples. I explained the reason "I'm not concerned" with the last two sentences in that post. I believe those days of "bad" harmonies are over. I'm confident they learned their lesson(s) and won't make the same mistakes, again, with a competent producer, studio technolgy, adding Matt or Jeff, etc.

But, also, I welcome a difference in the overall sound of the harmonies. There have been several changes in The Beach Boys' sound over the last five decades, this is nothing new. There were changes after 1966, after 1970, after 1975, after 1981, after 1984, after 1987, and it's still changing. Change is the only constant in the group. I think it would be exciting and even fulfilling to hear what a vocal blend of Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, and David (with Matt or Jeff?) would sound like in 2010 or 2011.

This is another of my rhetorical questions that doesn't require an answer, because I already know most of what the answers will be....But, what makes the lineup of Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, and David soooooooo less valid than the ones with Bruce and without Brian, with Blondie & Ricky and without Brian, without Dennis & Brian, or without Dennis & Carl. It's a new incarnation, a new Beach Boys' lineup. I'll embrace it.

And, yes, I was a coach, for many years, of basketball, football, and baseball, at the youth level. I'm now in coaching rehab.... police
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 09, 2009, 02:51:30 PM »

This Willie Nelson 'Warmth Of The Sun' track with Matt. No Carl unless he was added later. (some here could tell by the mix I guess)

Anyway, should a new track ever happen, this is likely the sound we would have IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK6dQTS8VwM
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: September 09, 2009, 04:19:19 PM »

This Willie Nelson 'Warmth Of The Sun' track with Matt. No Carl unless he was added later. (some here could tell by the mix I guess)

Carl was probably added later, as you can hear him on the recording.  But yes, it could work, they only have to do just that, work

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 09, 2009, 04:40:56 PM »

This is another of my rhetorical questions that doesn't require an answer, because I already know most of what the answers will be....But, what makes the lineup of Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, and David soooooooo less valid than the ones with Bruce and without Brian, with Blondie & Ricky and without Brian, without Dennis & Brian, or without Dennis & Carl.

I'll answer it anyway: nothing. They're all equally valid, if not equally loved (in various incarnations by various people). 

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2009, 04:48:03 PM »

This is another of my rhetorical questions that doesn't require an answer, because I already know most of what the answers will be....But, what makes the lineup of Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, and David soooooooo less valid than the ones with Bruce and without Brian, with Blondie & Ricky and without Brian, without Dennis & Brian, or without Dennis & Carl.

I'll answer it anyway: nothing. They're all equally valid, if not equally loved (in various incarnations by various people). 

Thank you. That's not an answer that I expected to see posted, but one that I agree with nevertheless....
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2009, 04:55:29 PM »

We may get to that same place in different routes, but I'm increasingly there. As you know, I don't believe in magic. I do believe in musicians having a right to go out and do whatever they can for as long as they can in whatever manner they want or are able. I might hate it, ridicule it, ignore it or whatever else, but that doesn't mean anything.

By the way, I recommend people check out the long, excellent Bruce interview in the media section. But if you're a "the band died in 19xx" kind of person, you might not like it ... especially when he (correctly, in my estimation) discusses the band as a business with a brand to protect.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2009, 02:14:56 AM »

If there should be a reunion and if Blondie and Ricky were featured, this song should be recorded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCBWPGXmK7A

- Jack Rieley
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2009, 10:10:29 PM »

The problem is the band is rather direction-less and incomplete without Carl Wilson.  Without his presence there would be holes in the harmonies; just wouldn't sound right.  And although you could try and fill these holes with Christian Love or Matt Jardine, neither are actual Beach Boys.

Yes, the harmonies situation would be a question mark. But, I can see/hear Bruce taking Carl's part and David Marks singing Dennis' part. When Bruce really tries, he can still sing repectably, and, I've recently seen some David Marks' performances on YouTube and he was quite impressive.

Bruce handle Carl's parts?!  Nothing against the guy, but he has a razor-thin voice.  He wouldn't work.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2009, 11:39:38 PM »

I just think it is what it is.  They will do the best they all can at this point and use others to fill out the harmony.

I also imagine they will just sing the songs that allow them to sing the leads on (Al - Help Me Rhonda, Mike-409, California Girls, etc.).  It's not going to be like The Mike/Bruce show or Al's show with others singing lead (cept maybe on a few numbers if they use the siblings).

I do hope they let David do Dennis's leads.  He really does well with Dennis's songs.  Love to hear David do "Forever"

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2009, 02:39:34 PM »

Mike still friends with Paul McCartney, has two albums worth of solo songs, and still planning 50th reunion with Brian.  Hmmm!

http://alibi.com/index.php?scn=music&story=29714
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2009, 06:40:03 PM »

They ought to take a shot at making one last great song.
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2009, 07:10:02 PM »

" Pine Scented Air ",  that's the ticket!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 07:19:46 PM by Outie 315 » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2009, 02:21:28 PM »

They ought to take a shot at making one last great song.

I just don't know if they can do a "great song".  Al should most definitely sing it if they do choose to put out a one time single. He can sing circles around them right now.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2009, 03:33:23 PM »

If there is a final single, I really hope that Mike sings lead. Whether people like him or not, he sang lead on most of the songs the Beach Boys are most recognized for. Hopefully, all of the guys will get a turn at some lines, but definitely Mike.

It would also be nice if the single actually made the charts!  Shocked
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2009, 08:16:09 AM »

There are a lot of good newer songs written by members of the band/s over the past 25 years that many have not heard.  They could record an album of these. 

But it has to be promoted correctly.  I would suggest guest appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show and Bandstand.
Some nice "gifts" sent to DJs around the country could help ensure frequent airplay.  And lets not forget a carefully timed release of a series of mucic videos presented on MTV.   I know the kids seem to enjoy these.

A lot of acts have done very well with this approach.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2009, 08:25:13 AM »

But it has to be promoted correctly.  I would suggest guest appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show and Bandstand.
Some nice "gifts" sent to DJs around the country could help ensure frequent airplay.  And lets not forget a carefully timed release of a series of mucic videos presented on MTV.   I know the kids seem to enjoy these.

A lot of acts have done very well with this approach.

Funny stuff.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2009, 09:49:27 AM »

Could someone make a 'mockumentary' on our gang, to celebrate the 50th? With the cooperation of all the usual suspects? Who participate with earnest faces to support an alternative reality (much as Matthieu Karel did with the moon landings and Stanley Kubrick's involvement)?

1. think up sort of a McGuffin, a grand but untrue scheme that happened, the true structure or plot of which never fully is explained.
2. get Mike. Al, David, Bruce, and all others (e.g. Phil Spector in his cell, and Charlie Manson too) to comment seriously about that scheme.

For instance: Brian passed away in 1967 (whilst taking bad acid together with Sir Paul). There is a gigantic cover-up. A replacement is sought and found for the two of them. But the second Brian passes away in 1972, in Holland, in a car accident (he wrapped his Merc around a tree). A new Brian was found. In 1980, Brian III died of a coke-and-alcohol overdose. But the untiring Mike found a Brian IV. A rather thin-voiced butterfly collector from Oklahoma, who has been waring bathrobes and trainers all of his life, and still was living with his mum then. As Brian IV did not have time to learn the material in time, someone invented the teleprompter for him. Brian IV actually thinks Summer In Paradise is the greatest album ever, period, but is bound by contract not to ever vent that opinion. Brian IV, futhermore, is a true outdoors man, and he is 48 years old. So there's another cover-up: a 48 year old man celebrating the 50th birthday the band he founded?

Ah, I had to fill up a couple of minutes, guys. Forgive me.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx