gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:47:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: a very Pet Sounds-inspired new tune!  (Read 2398 times)
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2009, 03:52:45 PM »

Alright folks, I have mustered up the courage to keep posting stuff on here as everyone seems really nice overall.

This tune is called "Nightsong" and I spent quite a few hours working on it, so any and all commentary/critique/congratulations would be awesome!

Please bear with the long intro, as I remember Brian famously wanted to avoid cutting the intro to "California Girls". Not that I think that this is anywhere in the same league as that tune, but an inspiration nonetheless to leave it be. Even a lyrical nod in there to ol' BW. See if you catch it.

Thanks! Click below!

http://www.myspace.com/dylansamore
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 04:44:12 PM »

I'd love to hear natural instruments, especially (because they are more isolated) on the intro. But I know that's easier said than done.

"margaritas keep the spirit high" ... hahaha.

The drop-out at about 1:22 is great. Overall I like the stop-start nature of the arrangement, lots of sharp turns. The only thing I think doesn't fit among all the elements are the "ditdit dit dit dit" bg vox around 2:50 or so. Their rhythm just struck me as odd. Funny because I liked the addition of the drums rhythm behind them as that bit goes on.

The part at 3:19 or so is great. The little hiccups in rhythm there are awesome. Again, I wish for real instruments.

You've rapidly become my favorite vocal arranger on the board (with all due respect to the rest of you). Love the vocals, too, especially your full-voice leads. All backgrounds. Less so the falsetto leads, which sometimes have a different timbre, it seems, than the bg falsettos (though that could be due to pronouncing words or jumping in and out of falsetto).

Overall, cool stuff (again). But where the hell did you get the idea we're nice around here? You might want to go read some reactions to my posts before you spout that...  Wink

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 01:56:17 AM »

Fantastic piece with lots of little sections (my favourite type of thing), got a prog like sensibility to it which is good too. Love the vocals too, all very strong throughout, nice falsetto too!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 09:39:40 PM »

Wow Dylan, really great stuff.  I agree with everything Luther said, except I liked those "dit dit dit" backing vocals!  Your arranging in general is awesome, very Brian-like with cool twists.  I like being surprised at where the arrangement goes, and being surprised when the song suddenly ends.

I listened to your other songs on there too...I especially enjoyed "Columbia River Gorge," "The One About Portland," and "Other One."  The latter really reminds me of a song in the movie That Thing You Do! called "Little Wild One."  Good stuff all!
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 08:27:20 AM »

I'd love to hear natural instruments, especially (because they are more isolated) on the intro. But I know that's easier said than done.

"margaritas keep the spirit high" ... hahaha.

yeah man! I agree with you. I'd love to just have all the instruments and (in the case of certain horns, etc) the people to play them! As it is, believe it or not...my strongest suit is drums and percussion in general. If I had the means to record myself really playing drums, it would sound WAY better!

actually some samples of my percussion work are available at http://www.myspace.com/adamsoutrocks ( a band I was in, if you REALLY have free time...but more to prove a point about my drum work.)

but yeah Luther, I totally feel ya on that. Glad you caught the "Heroes and Villians" reference!!

p.s. thanks Chris and Matt for the time it took to listen and give feedback! Chris, I def. feel you on the "Little Wild One" inspiration. They do a similar guitar/bass climb-up and that song def. influenced! Nice ear  Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 08:28:47 AM by DSamore » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx