gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:17:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surfers Rule  (Read 4746 times)
DennisWilsonIsMyHero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2009, 08:13:52 PM »

I am a fan of this song and I love the way Denny sings it. But what was the purpose of calling out the Four Seasons at the end? I can imagine there were some comparisons of Brian and Frankie Valli and their similar sounding falsetto's. Was there ever any real rivalry?

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live I will kill you. If I die you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 08:22:22 PM »

I think the Four Seasons were just kind of the ultimate East Coast greaser hodads, besides being chart rivals of the Beach Boys, who, as you know, were all real surfers in real life and just lived on those waves and hung ten constantly- especially Murry. 

Also, I think Brian gave them a nod musically and lyrically because he really liked them.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 08:34:55 PM »

In 1964, the Four Seasons cut "No Surfin' Today", which could be interpreted as their reply to "Surfers Rule".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xRmb3wtbNA

« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 09:04:50 PM by Ebb and Flow » Logged
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 08:47:55 PM »

Nice catch, Ebb- hadn't heard that one.  Harsh response, if so- they killed off Brian's "Surfer Girl".

Beach Boys should have replied quickly with "Sherry Got Hit By A Bus", backed with "My Rag Doll Is Now Turning Tricks (For Drug Money)".  That would have shut 'em up.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
DennisWilsonIsMyHero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 08:51:26 PM »

No Surfin' Today.... kind of a morbid song! It's interesting to hear songs like No Surfin' Today, Last Kiss, and  Dead Man's Curve...

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live I will kill you. If I die you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
theduke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 08:59:43 PM »

While I was a reading tutor, my assignments included students in South Bay. Etched into the sidewalk long ago:  SURFERS RULE!!

A totally different world, and unknown to the families hiding behind barred windows and the thugs who claim the territory now.

Cry
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 06:30:58 AM »

I am a fan of this song and I love the way Denny sings it. But what was the purpose of calling out the Four Seasons at the end? I can imagine there were some comparisons of Brian and Frankie Valli and their similar sounding falsetto's. Was there ever any real rivalry?

I think the liner notes in the two-fer mention this too, but back then the Four Seasons were one of the biggest rivals of The Beach Boys (in terms of succes), something that one forgets nowadays very easily as the BBs turned out to be bigger after the British Invasion. But I don't think that "Surfers rule" was meant in an evil way.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 07:49:39 AM »

They made up later on by cutting a single together: East meets West (FBI Records)

Watson, did you hear this?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 08:18:22 AM »

They made up later on by cutting a single together: East meets West (FBI Records)

Yeah, didn't Bruce mention that the vocals were recorded just days before Dennis drowned?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 04:22:01 PM »

I love Surfers Rule:) Never heard 4 Seasons song though...its kinda dragging...dont really like it. I like the 4 Seasons but not one of their best songs:/

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 08:02:23 PM »

Yeah, didn't Bruce mention that the vocals were recorded just days before Dennis drowned?

Was Dennis on East Meets West?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 10:32:56 PM »

Was Dennis on East Meets West?

No - Bruce told me in 1985 they cut the vocals about a week before he died.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 11:38:54 PM »

Out of curiousity, what *was* Dennis' last recorded vocal? Carl's too, for that matter.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 11:59:57 PM »

Great question.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 04:13:23 AM »

Out of curiousity, what *was* Dennis' last recorded vocal? Carl's too, for that matter.

Not a black & white answer. Of course - it's The Beach Boys.

Carl's last recording session before his passing was for the bvs to Michael Angeloff's Here And Now... Is Forever CD - he guested on the title track  & "Life's So Strange". The album was released April 2000. His last lead vocals were for the Like A Brother CD, released June 2000 but recorded up to seven years previously. Carl's last Beach Boys vocals would have been for the Stars & Stripes project - the "In My Room" session, June 13th 1996 in Nashville. For those not counting that as a pukka catalog item, the vocals for "Soul Searchin'" was recorded November 16th/17th 1995 at Oceanway (formerly Western).

Dennis' last ever vocal session was apparently for the song "Labor Day", fittingly on September 3rd 1982 at Unicorn. The so-called 'Cocaine sessions' were more of a stoned jam with Brian, but for completeness they happened in early November the same year.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 07:11:25 AM »

Andrew, this is why we appreciate you so much -  you love the music and it seems nothing can keep you (and the facts) down.

I feel like saying "welcome back" but you've never been away.

Thanks for being here!

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 09:19:21 AM »

Right now, it's a welcome distraction.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 12:46:38 PM »

Carl's last recording session before his passing was for the bvs to Michael Angeloff's Here And Now... Is Forever CD - he guested on the title track  & "Life's So Strange".

When was this?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 12:59:32 PM »

Think I read it was mid-96

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 02:43:13 PM »

The so-called 'Cocaine sessions' were more of a stoned jam with Brian, but for completeness they happened in early November the same year.
But is Dennis voice to be heard in those?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 09:38:08 PM »

Not that I recall.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx