gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:13:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smile in 1967  (Read 9348 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2009, 09:11:44 AM »

Coldplay and Radiohead ought not be lumped together.

But really, there was room in music in the late 60s and early 70s for both lyric-based art and spontaneous, ebullient art, just as 50 years ago there was room for both Sun records and hard bop and today there is room for both Kanye West and the Dixie Chicks (and obviously in each of those time periods and every other period, room for a plethora else, besides). There is always room for all of it, and nothing is killing anything. Everything is just dying when it has mostly run its course. No big deal. You can't keep remaking Pet Sounds, or Born to Run, or The Chirpin' Crickets, or Kid A, or Blonde on Blonde, or anything else, without becoming a lifeless pastiche.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2009, 08:06:49 PM »

Ah, why not? They sound pretty similar to each other! I know, I know...Coldplay ripped off Radiohead's sound... But while RH were noodling around being "serious artists", Coldplay were writing catchy uplifting pop tunes. A Coldplay show also seems like it would be much more fun than an RH show....

Plus, SMiLE '67, even in an unfinished state, is 10000000 times better than OK Computer will ever be!!!

Alright, immature and juvenile anti-Radiohead rant over.

On a more mature note, I pretty much agree with everything Luther just said.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2009, 08:58:09 AM »

But really, there was room in music in the late 60s and early 70s for both lyric-based art and spontaneous, ebullient art, just as 50 years ago there was room for both Sun records and hard bop and today there is room for both Kanye West and the Dixie Chicks (and obviously in each of those time periods and every other period, room for a plethora else, besides). There is always room for all of it, and nothing is killing anything. Everything is just dying when it has mostly run its course. No big deal. You can't keep remaking Pet Sounds, or Born to Run, or The Chirpin' Crickets, or Kid A, or Blonde on Blonde, or anything else, without becoming a lifeless pastiche.

Great post.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2009, 09:16:14 AM »

Ah, why not? They sound pretty similar to each other! I know, I know...Coldplay ripped off Radiohead's sound... But while RH were noodling around being "serious artists", Coldplay were writing catchy uplifting pop tunes. A Coldplay show also seems like it would be much more fun than an RH show....

Plus, SMiLE '67, even in an unfinished state, is 10000000 times better than OK Computer will ever be!!!

I wouldn't argue the superficial sonic similarities. But it's a bit like lumping Led Zeppelin in with Whitesnake.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2009, 08:00:41 PM »

I wouldn't argue the superficial sonic similarities. But it's a bit like lumping Led Zeppelin in with Whitesnake.

Yeah, maybe... but at least the guys in Coldplay don't pretend to be depressed all the time.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2009, 08:08:14 PM »

Neither does Adrian Vandenberg!

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2009, 04:56:49 PM »

I think Coldplay are way more like MOR than Radiohead

Sam

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx