gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:23:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smile in 1967  (Read 9340 times)
muchacho_playero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: August 18, 2009, 09:17:25 AM »

what had happened if smile had been released in 1967?
 3D

Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 09:22:36 AM »

You wouldn't be asking this question in 2009.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 09:23:40 AM »

Top topic. Once in a while someone comes up with a question so original, so mind-bogglingly gripping, that it takes one's breath away.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 09:47:04 AM »

Top topic. Once in a while someone comes up with a question so original, so mind-bogglingly gripping, that it takes one's breath away.

Sassy!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 09:51:53 AM »

People would be wondering "Gee, what if the Beatles had released SGT. Pepper instead of giving up all hope once they heard SMiLE?"
Hey buddy, try checking the archives for more on your wholly original question. Smokin

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 09:53:08 AM »

Sgt pepper wouldn't be as over hyped as it is today, and The Beach Boys would have the first and second spots on rolling stone's 500 greatest.

Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
muchacho_playero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 09:54:55 AM »

ohh im so sorry mr the heartical dol

i forgot that you are a so smart

free your imagination

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 09:58:37 AM »

ohh im so sorry mr the heartical dol

i forgot that you are a so smart

free your imagination

Oh, I did not want to ridicule you. It was just so funny... I could not resist kicking the ball in, maaan...

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 10:19:16 AM »

You wouldn't be asking this question in 2009.

Ba-boom !  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 01:08:45 PM »

what had happened if smile had been released in 1972?
 3D

muchacho_playero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 01:18:34 PM »

3D

welcome to the jokerboy

someone else wants to ridicule me?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 01:30:41 PM »

3D

The band would have been $50,000 better off.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 03:05:12 PM »

Muchacho Playero, do  not take offense! I have asked a thousand questions like this and had my nose put out of joint every time at what I thought were 'smart alec' answers. Basically, unless I am missing some hidden irony in your query, this is the single burning question on which the entire existance of this message board seems to hinge. To just come out and ask it so brazenly seems at once unbelievably naiive and startlingly brilliant.

For what it's worth I think it would have been not nearly as commercial a success as pepper, and thus a disappointment for BW. Time would have revealed its brilliant facets undoubtedly, but I wonder if Brian and VDP would have struggled to unify it in a way that would have made it as significant and relevant as Pepper at the time, even though musically it would have been more accomplished imo.

And as for Tony W's counter question of what would've happened had it been released in 72, that is not a dig but a relevant point as the Beach Boys publicly announced plans to release Smile in that year.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 03:11:09 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 03:22:27 PM »

3D

welcome to the jokerboy

someone else wants to ridicule me?

As the band were contractually obliged to Warner/Reprise to complete SMiLE by 1972 this is a valid question and one not often discussed on this board - most of the discusion revolve around SMiLE '67 and SMiLE '04. (And yes, Andrew's answer to SMiLE '72 was 100% correct)

By way of introduction feel free to give us your opinion of the potential repercussions of SMiLE '67 and following it's failure to be released the potential repercussion of SMiLE '72 as Carl would have compiled it. And don't be scared to say what you think - what you will find here is that there are many opinions and open discussions which often lead down the path to enlightenment.

Just consider your welcome to this board so far as a locker room smack on the bum with a wet towel.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 04:17:54 PM »

I think if SMiLE would've come out in 1967, IMO, TODAY it would be in all of the Top 10 album polls, right up there with Pet Sounds and The Beatles' Rubber Soul/Revolver/Sgt. Pepper's. I don't think SMiLE would've sold as well as Pet Sounds because of the lack of hit singles, but I think over time it would've approached Pet Sounds in sales.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 04:32:22 PM »

I think I can salvage this thread by asking a totally fresh question and putting a whole new spin on the subject:

Whose fault was it that it didn't come out in 1967?

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 04:40:19 PM »

I don't think SMiLE! '72 would have made too much of an impact, simply because it didn't have the notoriety it did in 2004 - If it did, it would marginalise the rest of the groups output even more, Brian being the main focus. Would that have lead to better records, though? The only one we'd 'miss' is Holland.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 06:55:39 PM »

if Carl had put together the Smile tracks, would he have used the finished product of Surf's Up from the Surf's Up album or Brian's demo?

Smile 72 should have waited to be a double EP with Mt. Vernon

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
DennisWilsonIsMyHero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 07:58:55 PM »

I think I can salvage this thread by asking a totally fresh question and putting a whole new spin on the subject:

David Marks? Evil

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live I will kill you. If I die you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 08:10:49 PM »

David Marks? Evil

Who's that? Tongue
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 08:58:32 PM »

David Marks? Evil

Who's that? Tongue

Skid Marks' brother  Cool Guy
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:23:54 PM by TonyW » Logged
XY
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 09:18:24 PM »

what had happened if smile had been released in 1967?
 3D

More greatest albums ever made would've followed.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 12:09:54 AM »

Muchacho Playero, do  not take offense! I have asked a thousand questions like this and had my nose put out of joint every time at what I thought were 'smart alec' answers. Basically, unless I am missing some hidden irony in your query, this is the single burning question on which the entire existance of this message board seems to hinge. To just come out and ask it so brazenly seems at once unbelievably naiive and startlingly brilliant.

For what it's worth I think it would have been not nearly as commercial a success as pepper, and thus a disappointment for BW. Time would have revealed its brilliant facets undoubtedly, but I wonder if Brian and VDP would have struggled to unify it in a way that would have made it as significant and relevant as Pepper at the time, even though musically it would have been more accomplished imo.

And as for Tony W's counter question of what would've happened had it been released in 72, that is not a dig but a relevant point as the Beach Boys publicly announced plans to release Smile in that year.

Thanks for bringing us together a bit. Esp. the 'unbelievably naïve and startingly brilliant' bit hits the matter on the head. As for the rest of your comment, I think you are basically right. SMiLE '67 would have been acknowledged by the more independently writing rock scribes as a triumph, much as 'Song Cycle' was in reality. But sales would not have been that spectacular. Brian would have been disappointed. And perhaps he'd gone on to travel the same route he did, including depression and drugs (which, IMHO, had a lot more to do with his childhood abuse then the failure of SMiLE '67). Van Dyke Parks was not nearly as dependent on public applause as Brian was. So Van Dyke could in a very humble way accept the lack of commercial success of SC and go on to do his thing. Brian could not do that with his music.

Apart from that, SMiLE was to be released in 1967, 1971/2, and, if I am right, also in 1989 (when someone leaked that first 'complete' boot in Japan. A Landy-supervised SMiLE would have caused many fans the world over to cut off their ears, I am afraid.

SMiLE is in essence a traditional, classical record, well-structured. That is not in alignment with the ways rock went back in 1968/9. Rock went into its 'progressive' phase. Long winded solos, boring pretense, simulating intelligence and education where there was none. And that is why I am convinced that SMiLE 2004 and perhaps the to-be-released SMiLE '67 sessions box set will be listened to long after Woodstock will be forgotten.

SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 06:35:58 AM »

Personally I think had it come out in '67, it would be a success, only because there was so much buzz surrounding the record and its high importance. I don't think it would top Sgt. Pepper but it would be around the same height of popularity, then again....who knows?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 06:53:28 AM »

Personally I think had it come out in '67, it would be a success, only because there was so much buzz surrounding the record and its high importance. I don't think it would top Sgt. Pepper but it would be around the same height of popularity, then again....who knows?

God.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx