gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:43:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Orange Crate Art (BW/VDP solo)
5 - 16 (19.5%)
4 - 33 (40.2%)
3 - 19 (23.2%)
2 - 12 (14.6%)
1 - 2 (2.4%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 73

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Orange Crate Art (BW/VDP solo)  (Read 42625 times)
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2011, 02:42:41 PM »

I'm glad to see there are others that love this album. For me VDP has done two great albums this one and Jump!

OCA is artfully nostalgic it Creates an America that should have been and which can live gorgeously sunset in our imagination. Brian's voice grounds it in California and to me he suits the material perfectly, the vocal arrangements are gorgeous.

I loved it when it came out and I still do it takes me to a great place, it is a welcome addition to the work of both of these guys.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2011, 09:55:54 AM »

I'm glad to see there are others that love this album. For me VDP has done two great albums this one and Jump!

OCA is artfully nostalgic it Creates an America that should have been and which can live gorgeously sunset in our imagination. Brian's voice grounds it in California and to me he suits the material perfectly, the vocal arrangements are gorgeous.

I loved it when it came out and I still do it takes me to a great place, it is a welcome addition to the work of both of these guys.
I haven't heard Jump but I have heard OCA, Discover America, and Song Cycle....from those 3 albums, I see them as VDP creating a place...he can make something normal (much like Brian does with Busy Doin' Nothing or I'd Love Just Once To See You) and make it interesting or hip, in my opinion.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2011, 11:08:23 AM »

I haven't heard Jump but I have heard OCA, Discover America, and Song Cycle....from those 3 albums, I see them as VDP creating a place...he can make something normal (much like Brian does with Busy Doin' Nothing or I'd Love Just Once To See You) and make it interesting or hip, in my opinion.

Get Jump ASAP.

I actually bought it because of this thread - and it's become one of my favorite VDPs albums.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2012, 09:11:02 AM »

Four stars. One of my favorite VDP albums. Brian's vocal arrangements really make the songs shine. Minus one point for Movies is Magic and the fact that some songs have cringe worthy moments. The synths don't drown out the tunes like they do in Imagination or BW88.

High points - Title track, Wings of a Dove

Low points - Movies is Magic
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2012, 06:23:43 AM »

Four stars from me.  Perfect companion piece to "That Lucky Old Sun."  "Wings Of a Dove" and "Sail Away" are particularly great songs.  I do think that the album didn't really need Brian's vocals.  Van Dyke Parks has a live album called "Moonlighting" that has some great versions of these songs done by himself.  However, I do like Brian's vocals anyways and the album itself fits in well with the rest of his solo catalog (I would argue it fits better than "Imagination" does).

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2014, 10:09:25 AM »

Had a listen and didn't mind it at all. Nice and nostalgic.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2014, 02:06:28 PM »

Four stars from me.  Perfect companion piece to "That Lucky Old Sun."  "Wings Of a Dove" and "Sail Away" are particularly great songs.  I do think that the album didn't really need Brian's vocals.  Van Dyke Parks has a live album called "Moonlighting" that has some great versions of these songs done by himself.  However, I do like Brian's vocals anyways and the album itself fits in well with the rest of his solo catalog (I would argue it fits better than "Imagination" does).
I watched VDP do a couple of these songs on youtube, but they sound so much better with Brian singing them. I like the idea of a concert featuring OCA and TLOS.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2014, 12:00:28 PM »

Has anyone heard Love is Here to Stay and Rhapsody in Blue from these sessions? Wonder if they're anything like Brian's versions over 10 years later...I wonder how they went about recording Rhapsody, like if they did wordless vocals for it.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2015, 10:33:28 PM »

Hadn't listened to this one in a few years, put it on last night....still works its magic on me. In fact, i may have to move this one up on my BW solo list. BW88, TLOS and OCA are my favorites - although IJWMFTT is up there, too, really the only knock against it being there were no new songs, and they included that demo of Still I Dream of It. But OCA may be my favorite of the bunch - really beautiful melodies that keep surprising me, and i do like the wall of Brian's on the vocals. I kept listening for "shouty" last night, didn't hear it, except maybe "Hold Back Time". No, i find Brian's vocal performances on this album very impressive.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx