gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:46:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Orange Crate Art (BW/VDP solo)
5 - 16 (19.5%)
4 - 33 (40.2%)
3 - 19 (23.2%)
2 - 12 (14.6%)
1 - 2 (2.4%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 73

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Orange Crate Art (BW/VDP solo)  (Read 43729 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 03:04:43 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Orange Crate Art, released November 1995.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 06:55:46 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 03:07:23 PM »

Neither as good as Van Dyke's or Brian's typical work. Bad singing, and the quadruple-tracking of everything to try and cover it up doesn't help much. I prefer the songs from this that are on VDP's Moonlighting disc. I do really like the title song--just not really this version.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 04:01:34 PM »

This album has never moved me and never will, probably. It's just too boring, overwrought, and underperformed. It's just THERE. Hardly the best work of two geniuses.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 04:04:24 PM »

I want to like it. I really do. 2 and a half.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
dogbreath
Smiley Smile Associate

"Foda deal with it!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 06:36:00 AM »

I said about the "Brian Wilson" solo album that it shouldn't work, but it does. Orange Crate Art should work, but it doesn't. I gave it a generous three. Stiff, stale, and past its shelf-life even as it hit the racks. Tasty packaging, though.

AUTOCLAVING TURNS THIS LINE BROWN
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 08:05:36 PM »

Tough crowd! This is the album that all Brian's other albums (sans BWPS) collectively want to be. Top knotch arranging from Van. Singing isn't Brian's best, but his first real showing since his '88 LP. I love this album. VDP & BW do it again. This release has a lot of heart. If I feel down this picks me right up. Synths used to effect not as a crutch. Well, well done. I'll take another of this over IJWMFTT or GIOMH... ANYDAY!!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 08:37:31 PM »

Tough crowd! This is the album that all Brian's other albums (sans BWPS) collectively want to be. Top knotch arranging from Van. Singing isn't Brian's best, but his first real showing since his '88 LP. I love this album. VDP & BW do it again. This release has a lot of heart. If I feel down this picks me right up. Synths used to effect not as a crutch. Well, well done. I'll take another of this over IJWMFTT or GIOMH... ANYDAY!!

Wrong. Synths used to save cash, I'd guess, and that's it. And it sounds that way. Cheap, easy, and atrocious synths.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 04:19:45 AM »

Brian sounds like he sucked in some helium before singing about half of these tunes.

If he had sounded like 'Sail Away' on every track, I'd probably enjoy it more.

2 Stars.

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 06:03:33 AM »

Call me a loner on this one -- I love it and its gentle nostalgic feel, and Brian was the perfect choice to sing here.  I loved this one from first play and I still do.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 07:19:55 PM »

Wrong. Synths used to save cash, I'd guess, and that's it. And it sounds that way. Cheap, easy, and atrocious synths.

I remember reading somewhere that Van said that he had planned to do the orchestral thing, but he had to get Brian when he could, and the end result was that he had to go with the synths rather than live musicians because of it.  Not sure why...maybe i'll try to dig up that article.

I LOVE this album!!!  There are one or two moments that aren't pure perfection - My Janine somes immediately to mind - so it's not a 5, but it's a rock-solid 4, and let me just add that if Brian were to tour THIS album, i would be at every single show.  It is sheer beauty...and the perfect Sunday morning album, too!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 08:46:21 AM »

My favorite album from both of them. Gorgeous, sentimental, utterly effecting. I love it deeply, deeply, deeply. Definitely my favorite batch of Van Dyke songs, and Brian' s voice on this is my favorite solo-era singing performance from him.

Solid five stars. Y'all are wrong.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 10:23:37 AM »

Huh Even the people who like it?!?!

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Chris D.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 11:17:38 AM »

This album has never moved me and never will, probably. It's just too boring, overwrought, and underperformed. It's just THERE. Hardly the best work of two geniuses.

I heard they recorded it in the Sharon Tate murder house!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 12:02:17 PM »

Hmm, even if that's true, I still like The Downward Spiral better.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Chris D.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006, 12:27:52 PM »

Hmm, even if that's true, I still like The Downward Spiral better.

I know you skeet skeet skeet to "Summer in Monterey."  From Sonoma 2 Tacoma, VDP givin u bonahz.

Someone should make a website that Parks-ifies any song lyric.  Run The Downward Spiral through that.

I want to f*** you like an animal
Lickity-split you from the inside
I want fo f*** you like an animal
My whole existence is flawed, by God
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 03:50:18 PM »

ROFLMAO!

I'm going to say something controversial right now, and you guys will likely hate me for it. I...don't care for Van Dyke Parks's music or lyrics at all. I think he did great with the SMiLE lyrics, but that's about it.

That said, this is about half a great album...up until "Hold Back Time" comes on. Now, a lot of people bitch and moan about GIOMH's "half-assed" vocals. HBT, for me, is more half-assed than anything else on it. From there, on, the album crashes and burns. First half,though, is great. And I happen to like the production.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 07:58:51 PM »

This sums it up for me too!
I second that.
drlandy
Smiley Smile Associate

HONKIN' DOWN THE HIGHWAY

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 01:35:03 PM »

I LOVE this album!!!  There are one or two moments that aren't pure perfection - My Janine somes immediately to mind - so it's not a 5, but it's a rock-solid 4, and let me just add that if Brian were to tour THIS album, i would be at every single show.  It is sheer beauty...and the perfect Sunday morning album, too!

I'll be there too!!!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 12:05:10 AM »

Somewhere I read a quote from Brian asking Van Dyke "why am I singing on this album?" and VD said "because I can't stand the sound of my own voice!" and that sums it up for me. I see a lot of people don't like Brian's mature voice, but I think his performance on this album is awesome. I find myself singing along with him. The nostalgic tone of the songs hit home with me when the album first came out. I was at a place in my life where "I thought I would far sooner die than settle down again", but I did settle down, so Van Dyke's lyrics struck a chord in me. "My Jeanine" is the weakest song, "Hold Back Time" has inferior vocals, but everything else is top notch. Gorgeous melodies (especially "My Hobo Heart", "Palm Tree and Moon", and the title track), beautiful vocals (esp. the intro of "Summer in Monterey" - it's so Brian - hard to believe he didn't have a hand in the vocal arrangements here), and tasty instrumentation. Not synth heavy, although synths are there. Definately not the expected "Smile Part 2" or "Heroes and Villains Jr.", just a nice album by two old friends.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007, 01:33:07 AM »

I too really love this album. Heck, I would much rather listen to Brian singing this than me and probably a lot of other people. Brian at his worst can be pretty bad admittedly but still Brian at his worst sounds better than most people could do. I give this album a 4.5 = 5.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 02:42:00 AM »

...beautiful vocals (esp. the intro of "Summer in Monterey" - it's so Brian - hard to believe he didn't have a hand in the vocal arrangements here)

He did - although uncredited, all the vocal arrangements are Brian's.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007, 02:44:19 AM »

...beautiful vocals (esp. the intro of "Summer in Monterey" - it's so Brian - hard to believe he didn't have a hand in the vocal arrangements here)

He did - although uncredited, all the vocal arrangements are Brian's.

That doesnt surprise me, as we all know its one of Brians great strengths, and the vocal arrangements on this album are pretty fantastic on the whole
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 03:11:08 AM »

Been listening to the "Words & Music" CD that came with some copies of OCA - according to Van Dyke, all the vocal arrangements were done as the song was being recorded. Impressive.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 04:21:22 AM »

Been listening to the "Words & Music" CD that came with some copies of OCA - according to Van Dyke, all the vocal arrangements were done as the song was being recorded. Impressive.

If thats true thats incredible, just shows Brians still got it. What that Words & Music CD like Andrew?
MBE
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007, 04:55:16 AM »

Too clever for it's own good. I don't like the 1920's vibe on many of the songs. Boring to me, Brian sounds very bored. The title track is ok, but even that is wordy overlong. The vocals are not so hot. Whatever AGD thinks of GIOMH I think of this. Well I don't hate anything THAT much.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx