gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:48:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: John Cowsill - Darlin  (Read 10480 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 10:01:48 AM »

G'wan - givvus a big kiss.  Love

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 06:39:20 PM »

Darlin' was meant to be sung by Carl and Carl only-the song should be retired from the list out of respect for him instead of  destroyng it. Just another good reason not to see  Mike and company. Tongue

Have you actually seen the current touring BB band perform it ? In person ?

Wait, I'll rephrase that - have you actually seen the current touring BB band perform, period ?
did I not correctly spell something? Were there problems decoding what  was written?   No, I haven't seen "them" and will not do so in this lifetime-what is left of it. Absolutely no time for copy groups. Period.

Then you, sir, are considerably more stupid than I took you for in the first place - and trust me, that was plenty stupid. Your attitude is that of a spoilt child stamping its foot and screaming "won't" repeatedly.  Your loss.
Let me get this straight, jackass-you, the great omnipotent potentate of a couple of  "message boards" (Oh, the  holiness of it all, coughs and all) are displaying a bit of inner discomfort due to someone who has no time for an "oldies band? Doesn't take too much to make you fall off your skates does it? You can honestly sit there and work up a lather over something as meaningless as someone's decision not to see the Lovester and his tribe in tow? Try a chill pill and a long overdue stay at the neighborhood rest home and while you're there, think about your sorry life and what your real priorities should be-checked your BP lately-they have meds for that y'know. AsEd Norton used to say, "shees! What a grouch!

FLAAAAAAMMMME WAAAAAARRRRRR!!!!!    Pirate Pirate Jedi Duel Jedi Duel Jedi Duel  Angry Angry Angry police police police  Thud Thud Thud

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
PaulHippensteel
Smiley Smile Associate

Tach it up, buddy gonna shut you down

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 10:41:56 PM »

I wish the BB had done Darlin' when I saw them on 7-11-09. I don't agree that the song should be retired since Carl passed away. At the show I saw they did a Jan & Dean song, should they retire that because Jan Berry passed away? I don't think so.

Saw the Association in '98 and it irked me that some of the songs were originally sung by former band members (like "Along Comes Mary") were sung live by recent recruits instead of Russ Gigere or Larry Ramos. But my main complaint is that they really do that many Association songs. Of their lesser known hits they did awful yuppie-pandering covers of Motown and Creedence songs, with the disclaimer that "we'd like to do a tribute to artists we heard backstage at festivals in the '60s". Last time I saw the Buckinghams they did a similar set ("Whiter Shad Of Pale" or some such foolishness!). I really glad that the BB haven't degenerated into a generic '60s yuppie cover act like many of their contemporaries!

The P.L.H. Organ-izayshun: Rock instrumentals live on an original 1966 Farfisa!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 11:01:40 PM »

You know there are more than 3 type of BB fanatics, I saw the BB in 2007 and it was an average concert-no more no less. I enjoyed the rarities, "Good Timin'" was fantastic,  "The Warmth of the Sun" (not a rarity, but not too frequently performed) was transcendent and "I Can Hear Music" sounded great. That said, I didn't think any of the meat-and-potato stuff was all that good. Incidentally "Darlin'" I didn't think was great or bad...just good.

I've never (unfortunately) had the opportunity to see Brian in person. But I have taken in hundreds and hundreds of live performances of his from internet sources (youtube clips that are undoctored, complete BW show bootlegs and the like)...and even when his vocals are a little off or a lot off I am overtaken by how well the band is playing. They truly are the best band in the business.

So here's how I would settle the BW/BB bands dispute:
BW is the best ticket when he is doing a long for piece by far: TLOS, SMiLE, Pet Sounds, and pratically all of his 1999-2003 shows where the setlists were packed with goodies. Look at 2002...AS GOOD AS YOU CAN GET as far as I'm concerned.

The Beach Boys and Brian are about equal with their Greatest Hits show. The Beach Boys have more balanced lead vocals and stage prescense, but their band pales in comparison to Brian's. Both put on fine shows (if Brian is engaged).

I must say I have been pleasantly surprised by what I have seen The Beach Boys do in the last few years...but make no mistake who I think the better ticket is.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 04:17:52 PM »

I've only seen Brian once, and it was a greatest hits show. Honestly, with Fun Fun Fun, Shut Down, Surfin' USA, etc in the setlist, I'd rather hear Mike singing Mike's parts than Brian singing Mike's parts. I'm seeing Brian again in October, and that will probably be another greatest hits show.

But if I had the money, I'd go to every BB-related show I could. I didn't like Mike & Bruce the first time I saw them, but I've been to three more shows since (I've only ever paid for one of these), and while neither band plays my ideal setlist (I greatly prefer 1966 - 1992 as opposed to 1963 - 1965), I always enjoy seeing the remnants of my favorite band. I was born in 1987 and didn't become an obsessive fan until 2004. Carl and Dennis died before I even knew they existed. I didn't know about the Beach Boys at all until I heard Surfin' USA at a laser light show when I was in 5th grade in 1997 or so.

But even if my favorite bands of today are still touring 40 years from now with only one or two original members, I'd still go and see them. I guess that's just the kind of person I am.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2009, 08:13:33 AM »

Aegir, you have the perspective of youth and the wisdom of age.     Enjoy!
DefMode66
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2010, 10:16:56 AM »

John Cowsill singing Darlin sounds like well John Cowsill! If that's what Beach Boys fans want to listen to then listen to it. I have not seen Mike Love and Bruce Johnston's touring band nor will I. I have not seen the Beach Boys since about a year before Carl passed away. When Carl passed away The Beach Boys as a whole passed away. You could say that when Dennis passed away the heart of the Beach Boys passed away as well. It's a tragic story but Mike being Mike never seen it that way! Mike has created nothing on his own. Dennis, Carl, and Brian were creative outside of the Beach Boys! Oh and I do not Consider Looking Back With Love filled with bad remakes a creative talent. Besides Mike couldn't even write the title track to his own solo effort.   
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2010, 10:29:13 AM »

Go back to 2004.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 11:57:50 PM »

John Cowsill singing Darlin sounds like well John Cowsill! If that's what Beach Boys fans want to listen to then listen to it. I have not seen Mike Love and Bruce Johnston's touring band nor will I. I have not seen the Beach Boys since about a year before Carl passed away. When Carl passed away The Beach Boys as a whole passed away. You could say that when Dennis passed away the heart of the Beach Boys passed away as well. It's a tragic story but Mike being Mike never seen it that way! Mike has created nothing on his own. Dennis, Carl, and Brian were creative outside of the Beach Boys! Oh and I do not Consider Looking Back With Love filled with bad remakes a creative talent. Besides Mike couldn't even write the title track to his own solo effort.   

Just how creative was Carl outside The Beach Boys?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx