gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:00:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: John Cowsill - Darlin  (Read 10771 times)
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2009, 05:51:29 PM »

Darlin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0uO0WfGoXs
oldsurferdude
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 06:47:50 PM »

Darlin' was meant to be sung by Carl and Carl only-the song should be retired from the list out of respect for him instead of  destroyng it. Just another good reason not to see  Mike and company. Tongue
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 06:52:41 PM »

I agree that no one can sing it like Carl, but I really love this song, and it's among one of the lesser known hits, so any exposure to casual audiences is good, in my opinion.  I say that they should keep performing it!
SG7
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 07:08:37 PM »

I'm pretty critical myself, but I found that I really enjoyed watching Cowsill and Totten. I feel those two have added much more deph to the band.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 07:09:46 PM »

If the bands--all of the Beach Boys-based bands that perform now--were going to retire any tune that may not live up to the deceased (or even younger versions of the still living) members decades-gone standards, they would sit mute through their shows. But what do you want them to do, go home? They're doing what makes sense, which is to keep making a living off their legacies. And they entertain quite a few people doing it. So it doesn't top the ghosts. That's life.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wilsonista
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 08:32:38 PM »

Darlin' was meant to be sung by Carl and Carl only-the song should be retired from the list out of respect for him instead of  destroyng it. Just another good reason not to see  Mike and company. Tongue

John Cowsill did a great job on the vocal. I guess you never approved of Billy Hinsche singing Sail On Sailor or Jeffrey Foskett or Matt Jardine. singing Brian's old lead vocals.

I saw the Mike and Bruce show a couple of weeks ago  and was pleasantly surprised.  You might be too.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 08:56:04 PM »

That's my favorite John Cowsill vocal. I think he does a great job on that.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 12:55:00 AM »

Just watched the video.  I think that that is the best I've heard John sing it yet.  It is kind of odd that he adds the "keep dreamin bout darlin" part that Carl added to his live performances in the 80's or 90's, but I think of it as a tradition that has continued.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 06:26:26 AM »

John Cowsill did a great job on the vocal. I guess you never approved of Billy Hinsche singing Sail On Sailor or Jeffrey Foskett or Matt Jardine. singing Brian's old lead vocals.

I saw the Mike and Bruce show a couple of weeks ago  and was pleasantly surprised.  You might be too.
sorry to see your "fall from grace" moment. Really, how coul you sell out like this?? Shocked
Wilsonista
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 08:37:41 AM »

Excuse me?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 09:13:37 AM »

I'm pretty critical myself, but I found that I really enjoyed watching Cowsill and Totten. I feel those two have added much more deph to the band.

Couldn't agree more.  Those two have earned a permanent place in the band.  Regardless of who might come or go and also in the event of any reunion.  These guys MAKE the show!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 12:18:08 PM »

Have you actually seen the current touring BB band perform it ? In person ?

Wait, I'll rephrase that - have you actually seen the current touring BB band perform, period ?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 12:22:31 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
oldsurferdude
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 01:25:19 PM »

Wait, I'll rephrase that - have you actually seen the current touring BB band perform, period ?
did I not correctly spell something? Were there problems decoding what  was written?   No, I haven't seen "them" and will not do so in this lifetime-what is left of it. Absolutely no time for copy groups. Period.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 01:58:27 PM »

did I not correctly spell something? Were there problems decoding what  was written?   No, I haven't seen "them" and will not do so in this lifetime-what is left of it. Absolutely no time for copy groups. Period.

Then you, sir, are considerably more stupid than I took you for in the first place - and trust me, that was plenty stupid. Your attitude is that of a spoilt child stamping its foot and screaming "won't" repeatedly.  Your loss.

oldsurferdude
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 03:24:02 PM »

Then you, sir, are considerably more stupid than I took you for in the first place - and trust me, that was plenty stupid. Your attitude is that of a spoilt child stamping its foot and screaming "won't" repeatedly.  Your loss.
Let me get this straight, jackass-you, the great omnipotent potentate of a couple of  "message boards" (Oh, the  holiness of it all, coughs and all) are displaying a bit of inner discomfort due to someone who has no time for an "oldies band? Doesn't take too much to make you fall off your skates does it? You can honestly sit there and work up a lather over something as meaningless as someone's decision not to see the Lovester and his tribe in tow? Try a chill pill and a long overdue stay at the neighborhood rest home and while you're there, think about your sorry life and what your real priorities should be-checked your BP lately-they have meds for that y'know. AsEd Norton used to say, "shees! What a grouch!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 12:41:57 AM »

And - again - we can conclude that there are 3 type of BB-fanatics.
- Those who are still fond to see the Beach Boys performing live, even if it's "just" the ML/BJ-lineup.
- Those who once were convinced to never see this line-up live but at a certain moment decided to give it shot, were pleasantly surprised and since then will advise others to do so as well.
- Those who won't ever attend a non-Wilson BB concert, even if it was in his/her back yard, and like to remember the group as they once were.

And - my humble opinion - all 3 points of view are valid if that makes one feel comfortable.

And all 3 points of view have juist passed in review.

Now if we could all respect each others, instead of name-calling each other... So please don't offend the other, and if you feel offended, don't respond in a similar way. We're all adult people here, and wise enough to keep the conversation civil.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 02:06:16 AM »

Following the Lovester and his tribe
 has put me in the poor house
 but it was fun!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 06:49:34 AM »

- Those who are still fond to see the Beach Boys performing live, even if it's "just" the ML/BJ-lineup.
- Those who once were convinced to never see this line-up live but at a certain moment decided to give it shot, were pleasantly surprised and since then will advise others to do so as well.
- Those who won't ever attend a non-Wilson BB concert, even if it was in his/her back yard, and like to remember the group as they once were.

And - my humble opinion - all 3 points of view are valid if that makes one feel comfortable.

Now if we could all respect each others, instead of name-calling each other... So please don't offend the other, and if you feel offended, don't respond in a similar way. We're all adult people here, and wise enough to keep the conversation civil.
totally agree with you-sorry for venting, but being called stupid  twice in the same post is a bit over the top for my liking-
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 07:17:09 AM »

I wasn't specifically / only referring to your post oldsurferdude.  Smiley  Goes for all of us.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 10:10:30 AM »

This seems to be the case.  I only urge others to see this line up----and I emphasize THIS line-up ...I don't know who might be performing as the Beach Boys in the future.  I was one of the "willl never attend a non Wilson BB concert" types......until they visited my neighborhood and I said...OH What the Hell!...I'll GO!   And I'm now in the second group....those who now suggest others see the current line up.  I hadn't seen Mike Love for years and had spent the first part of the 21st century only attending BW gigs.   My eyes were opened.  A revelation....."hey, not only are these guys good, I can go watch both of these great bands perform!"

I am reminded of a story told about my great grand father who refused for most of his life to eat a banana.  Just had his mind made up.  Once he tried one, he couldn't get enough of them.  From then on, everyone going shopping had to bring home bananas for grandpa.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 10:16:14 AM »

Let me get this straight, jackass-you, the great omnipotent potentate of a couple of  "message boards" (Oh, the  holiness of it all, coughs and all) are displaying a bit of inner discomfort due to someone who has no time for an "oldies band? Doesn't take too much to make you fall off your skates does it? You can honestly sit there and work up a lather over something as meaningless as someone's decision not to see the Lovester and his tribe in tow? Try a chill pill and a long overdue stay at the neighborhood rest home and while you're there, think about your sorry life and what your real priorities should be-checked your BP lately-they have meds for that y'know. AsEd Norton used to say, "shees! What a grouch!

I just love folk with an SOH bypass - so easy to yank their chain.  Grin

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 10:32:33 AM »

Grandpa just needs to try a banana.  Just once. Happy Dance
MookieZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 01:49:45 PM »

Wasn't it actually meant to be sung by Redwood?

oldsurferdude
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 04:51:37 PM »

a skill that you so proudly put on display-what a lagacy to have follow you  around. The bloo threw off the roof-keep being your wonderful self and the only place you'll have left to go is the potty.  Shocked
oldsurferdude
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 04:57:25 PM »

a skill that you so proudly put on display-what a lagacy to have follow you  around. The bloo threw off the roof-keep being your wonderful self and the only place you'll have left to go is the potty.  Shocked
edit-"...the blew threw YOU off the roof- " Razz
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx