gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:21:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does Brian play most of the instruments on Love You?  (Read 7979 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2006, 01:24:25 PM »

I'm not very good at "following through with ideas."
Jason
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2006, 01:26:23 PM »

Don't be so down on yourself.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2006, 01:47:29 PM »

It's just the truth.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2006, 01:48:20 PM »

Anyway, where is the "electronic drums" comment coming from?  I believe it's all real drums, often recorded interestingly, but not electronic.
Jason
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2006, 01:51:42 PM »

Not on Honkin' Down The Highway. At least on the non-intro parts. That has to be an electronic set.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2006, 09:46:21 PM »

Not on Honkin' Down The Highway. At least on the non-intro parts. That has to be an electronic set.

No, I'm sure "Honkin'" is all real drums.
The "electronic drum kit" quote comes from David Leaf's book, 1978.  Listen to that snare on "Let Us Go On This Way", "Roller Skating Child", and "Johnny Carson", to name three.  I don't know of any other records in 1976/77 that had real drums sounding like THAT.  Compare that to "Mona", "Honkin'", and "I Wanna Pick You Up", to name three.

Now, I should be clear:  I dont mean a drum MACHINE that you program, but rather a kit with an electronic snare pad that you hit with a drumstick. 

-Man
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2006, 05:57:27 AM »

Just sounds like a highly tuned snare, maybe mic-ed on the snare side with a lot of room sound to me.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2006, 07:34:34 AM »

Just sounds like a highly tuned snare, maybe mic-ed on the snare side with a lot of room sound to me.

Then I wonder why that sound was never used on any of their other records?  And I wonder why
David Leaf would've mentioned that in his book if someone didn't give him that info?  Leaf is no musician, so I'm thinking Earl or someone must've told him that.

There WERE various electronic snare drums available in the mid-'70s.  I guess this will have to be a question for Mr. Mankey...does anyone know how to access him?

C-Man
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2006, 08:14:18 AM »

does anyone know how to access him?

I do, and I have a bunch of questions in to him right now.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2006, 08:26:08 AM »

does anyone know how to access him?

I do, and I have a bunch of questions in to him right now.

Cool...is that one of them?

C-Man
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2006, 08:55:51 AM »

Probably not that directly, but I can probably make sure that gets answered.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2006, 12:28:24 PM »

Then I wonder why that sound was never used on any of their other records?

Brother Studios provided for a phenominal drum sound.  You can hear it on 15 Big Ones, what sounds like it could be a synth snare at times, on "It's OK" for example, but I believe they were only using analog drums on that album, and taking advantage of the room reverb as H pointed out.  You could probably hear it as well or better on Pacific Ocean Blue if Steve Moffitt hadn't butchered the mix on that record.  When the band sold the studio, there went the classic drum sound.

Have either of you guys had a chance to hear the Ricci Martin solo album that Carl produced at Brother?  I've never been able to score a copy.  AFAIK, those are the only albums besides Love You cut at that studio before the Boys sold it.

Random Question:  Is that a gently brushed snare head providing the rhythm at the beginning of Dennis's "You and I"?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 12:31:32 PM by Jason Penick » Logged

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2006, 12:33:10 PM »

Have either of you guys had a chance to hear the Ricci Martin solo album that Carl produced at Brother?  I've never been able to score a copy.  AFAIK, those are the only albums cut at that studio before the Boys sold it.
Random Question:  Is that a gently brushed snare head providing the rhythm at the beginning of Dennis's "You and I"?

Not heard it, but I just recently bought it off of e-bay.  Don't have a working turntable at the moment, is the problem.  And, parts of "MIU" and "LA" were recorded at Brother (dig Bobby F's massive snare sound on "Angel Come Home", which was tracked there).

C-Man
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx