gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681222 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 08:01:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Concert Tonight  (Read 6046 times)
othereric
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2009, 10:37:24 PM »

I've recently been really intrigued by the Sweet Insanity album particularly the song "Concert Tonight." It's really rockin'. Actually the whole album is pretty damn rockin'. Shame it was never released as it's probably my favorite of his solo albums. Anyway, my version of Concert Tonight is pretty crappy sound wise. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a cleaned up version of that song as the rest of the mp3's I have seem to be remastered in some way except for that particular song.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 10:53:15 PM »

I've recently been really intrigued by the Sweet Insanity album particularly the song "Concert Tonight." It's really rockin'. Actually the whole album is pretty damn rockin'. Shame it was never released as it's probably my favorite of his solo albums. Anyway, my version of Concert Tonight is pretty crappy sound wise. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a cleaned up version of that song as the rest of the mp3's I have seem to be remastered in some way except for that particular song.

Mods are gonna scold ya for not reading the rules... Cry Cry

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
othereric
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 10:58:10 PM »

Oh I read the rules. I'm not asking anyone to post a download link though. I'm just asking if anyone knows where I might track down a remastered version or better yet if one does indeed exist. Anyway, they sell Sweet Insanity at the record store so I don't see a problem...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 11:32:32 PM »

they sell Sweet Insanity at the record store
Illegally.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
othereric
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 11:43:09 PM »

Jesus christ man. I get it. They sell sweet insanity illegally at the record store. I'm very much aware of this. Whatever. I don't care because it doesn't answer my question. Sorry to be snippy but I don't need these things to be pointed out to me again and again. If the moderators have a problem with my post then they can handle it. I don't see any reason for everyone else to be jumping on my case. So, anyone have an answer?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 01:31:35 AM »

I'm sure there's people who can help you, but if they post here, then they'll be breaking the board rules. Now, if it's in a PM or something, that's different.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 07:30:51 AM »

As far as I know, Vigotone put out a clear sounding version of Sweet Insanity back in the 90s (probably sourced from the master tapes that Brian said were stolen). I can't tell you where to find it (apparently Brother Records sometimes checks this board, and they are gung-ho anti-bootleg), but I hope this won't violate any rules...
http://vigotone.com/vigotone/vigotone112.htm

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 08:58:18 AM »

Jesus christ man. I get it. They sell sweet insanity illegally at the record store. I'm very much aware of this. Whatever. I don't care because it doesn't answer my question. Sorry to be snippy but I don't need these things to be pointed out to me again and again. If the moderators have a problem with my post then they can handle it. I don't see any reason for everyone else to be jumping on my case. So, anyone have an answer?

Just pm or email this type of question.  The same as any personal exchange.  Or ask someone to pm you regarding a "discussion" of a given area of interest. Wink Wink Wink
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 11:05:25 AM »

I like how the Vigitone site says..."fake vigitone's are flooding the market."   LOL  Fake fakes?  I thought that was funny.

Actually the whole album is pretty damn rockin'. Shame it was never released as it's probably my favorite of his solo albums
So why was it never released anyway?  I agree...it's awesome.  It's no more "nutty" than Love You.  It's a brilliant freekin' record.  They should make it available.  Sell it as a stupid download -- if they feel that's more cost effective.  Sorry to beat a dead horse.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 11:25:12 AM »

I like how the Vigitone site says..."fake vigitone's are flooding the market."   LOL  Fake fakes?  I thought that was funny.

Actually the whole album is pretty damn rockin'. Shame it was never released as it's probably my favorite of his solo albums
So why was it never released anyway?  I agree...it's awesome.  It's no more "nutty" than Love You.  It's a brilliant freekin' record.  They should make it available.  Sell it as a stupid download -- if they feel that's more cost effective.  Sorry to beat a dead horse.

Dead Horse Dead Horse Dead Horse

It wasn't released because Sire rejected it...TWICE! Then the tapes were apparently stolen, according to Brian. So unless BriMel, BRI, or whoever, can get the tapes back it probably won't be officially released...

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 11:40:26 AM »

I think Sweet Insanity is a pretty big stinker, some of the songs like Hotter and Do You Have Any Regrets even give me the creeps, but I totally dig Concert Tonight.  Of all of the reaching back he has done for songs from this period I am really surprised this one hasn't been touched.  To answer your question, in what I think is a non-rule violating way, there is a pretty clear cut of the long version of the song on Vigotone's 21 Little Ones.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 11:45:28 AM »

I think Sweet Insanity is a pretty big stinker, some of the songs like Hotter and Do You Have Any Regrets even give me the creeps,

I think "Do you have any regrets" is awesome. Not just one of the better takes from SI but also one of Brian's best from the solo years imo

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
othereric
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 11:57:29 AM »

but I totally dig Concert Tonight.  Of all of the reaching back he has done for songs from this period I am really surprised this one hasn't been touched.

I agree. This would be a great addition to Brian's live show. It gets me pumped up every time I listen to it, even though the version I have is really grainy!

Thanks for all the answers everyone. I think I have the info I need now. Moving the discussion right along though I'd like to know other peoples opinions of this album. I think it's his best solo album. It's his most rock 'n' roll, and it even has a couple great ballads. I really, really love the song "Someone to Love." It's really terrible that all these songs are just sitting in the vault. One more question, is that Carnie singing on Bells of Madness?
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 12:19:06 PM »

Illegally.
How do you know? Perhaps Brian signed a nonexclusive deal with some distributor, and who is to say that some record company in Estonia didn't sign a legally-binding deal to distribute rough tracks from the Sweet Insanity Sessions, and we just don't know about it? Methinks it should be up to the record seller to determine what is and isn't illegal.

I understand why the mods have their rules on the board, and I don't think the rules are unreasonable. In this instance, however, you remind me of the kid in elementary school who would rat me out for skipping class. Let the mods do their job, or become a mod yourself.

- B00ts
othereric
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 12:27:14 PM »

I understand why the mods have their rules on the board, and I don't think the rules are unreasonable. In this instance, however, you remind me of the kid in elementary school who would rat me out for skipping class. Let the mods do their job, or become a mod yourself.

My sentiments exactly.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 01:08:08 PM »

One more question, is that Carnie singing on Bells of Madness?

yes
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 01:34:40 PM »

Ummm... what's this got to do with Sweet Insanity ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 03:51:26 PM »

Ummm... what's this got to do with Sweet Insanity ?

I'm guessing it has been tacked on as a "bonus track" on one particular version of Sweet Insanity?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 04:03:15 PM »

Moving the discussion right along though I'd like to know other peoples opinions of this album. I think it's his best solo album. It's his most rock 'n' roll, and it even has a couple great ballads. I really, really love the song "Someone to Love." It's really terrible that all these songs are just sitting in the vault.

Always liked Sweet Insanity....To me, it showed that Brian was still capable (in 1988-89) of writing some catchy tunes, along with some interesting arrangements. On the other hand, it also caused me to seriously question if he was losing his production skills. And, as you know, it WAS rejected; he couldn't get it released.

othereric, you are aware that some of (arguably) the cream of Sweet Insanity was re-recorded for Getting In Over My Head. Unfortunately, again, the production sucked the life out of the songs...
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 04:34:13 PM »

The shining pearl of Sweet Insanity is "Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel," one of a handful of vocals post-1976 (along with the original GIOMH and a few others) where he sounds SO CLOSE to it being 1970 it hurts. I love the original version despite the shakey production.

The rest I can take or leave (with the exception of  "Someone to Love" which rocks, rocks, rocks!)

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 04:37:09 PM »

A bootleg is a bootleg, and therefore is off limits.  But a promo copy is...something that was officially released, and hence I don't think it would break the rules to point out that Rockaway Records apparently still has some of those for sale...in fact, that WAS pointed out on this board back in January...

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,6624.0.html

http://www.rockaway.com/online/online/artistlist.php?ItemID=0&searchstring=Brian Wilson&searchdate=mm/dd/yyyy
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 04:39:29 PM by c-man » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 04:43:17 PM »

Illegally.
How do you know? Perhaps Brian signed a nonexclusive deal with some distributor, and who is to say that some record company in Estonia didn't sign a legally-binding deal to distribute rough tracks from the Sweet Insanity Sessions, and we just don't know about it? Methinks it should be up to the record seller to determine what is and isn't illegal.

If the masters were stolen, it being sold at a record store definitely is illegal.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 04:52:11 PM »

The shining pearl of Sweet Insanity is "Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel," one of a handful of vocals post-1976 (along with the original GIOMH and a few others) where he sounds SO CLOSE to it being 1970 it hurts. I love the original version despite the shakey production.

The rest I can take or leave (with the exception of  "Someone to Love" which rocks, rocks, rocks!)

Yeah, "Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel" is a good one, and I also prefer the original over the re-recording. "Somebody To Love" is a personal favorite. too. I thought it might make it onto GIOMH, but I guess it was too juvenile. It could probably use a lyrical overhaul and re-recording. Hey, I got an idea.... Grin
MBE
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 05:07:31 PM »

I hate these sessions. I think he is singing worse then on OCA, the songs have rotten lyrics, the melodies are bad. It's his SIP. After the fairly steller Brian Wilson from 1988 this would have done real damage to his career. Darian did something nice with Do You Have Any Regrets but that is the only SI related thing I have really goten enjoyment from. No offense to those who feel different.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2009, 07:20:16 PM »

Illegally.

If the masters were stolen, it being sold at a record store definitely is illegal.

I don't think so...these are extra copies of original promo cassettes manufactured & distributed in 1991 by Brian & Landy's company, Brains & Genius.  They're the un-distributed leftovers.  In that regard, they're no really no different than undistributed promo copies of an out-of-print vinyl record that someone found sitting in a box and sold to a used record store (like if someone found a box of those "POB" promo LPs that sometimes pop up on ebay).  Now if someone copied them, and sold the copies, that would be a different story.  And if whoever has the stolen masters made copies of them & sold them, that WOULD be illegal.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx