gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 02:06:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love Concert Caustic Comment and Comedy Thread.  (Read 14483 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2009, 02:17:00 AM »

In the early 70s, Bruce used to talk to the audience a lot, too.

All I ever seem to have heard Bruce saying on stage are the albums on which the particular song is.
Plus "We're going to Kokomo!"

Mike's goofines surely had some charm in the beginning, but as they became older and almost hip, it just was terrible imo. There's at least one review in the Badman-book that mentions this as disturbing, too. Nah, I really don't like most of his stage banter. There are some cool ones, though "Uncomfortable seat" anyone?  Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jason
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2009, 11:35:09 AM »

Best Mike comment ever was from Syracuse in May 1971.

Mike - You wanna know what a Polish mind detector is?
Bruce - Oh, this joke SUCKS.
Mike - THIS is a Polish MIND DETECTOR.
(Awkward silence)
(Circus organ)
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2009, 12:08:14 PM »

Bruce at his best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBl1M4lDHik&feature=related

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2009, 02:42:50 PM »

Best at what? Taking up space?
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2009, 10:31:52 PM »

I can think of two. At the CBS Convention in 1977, Mike says something like "And now we're gonna bring out THE MAN! I'm talking 'bout my CUZ!". For some reason, I always thought it sounded pretty cool , the way he yelled out THE MAN!  Grin Another really cringe-worthy one is during the intro to SDT(I think?) from Carnage Hall, 1972. He was talking about the audience clapping, and said something like "I mean, if  you're not into it, you're not into it. If you can't get behind it, you can't get behind it", in a really goofy voice. Roll Eyes

That last one sticks out for me as an example of his insufferable smugness, just a gratingly ingratiating self-absorption and overweening ego. His role in the band and in writing lyrics for many of the songs is undeniable, but there is a possessiveness and sense of entitlement that is disproportionate, and a truly nauseating cutesiness, smarminess and palpable pleasure in hearing the sound of his own voice. He has mellowed out a lot in recent years though.

But seriously, ask me what I REALLY think. Evil

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2009, 06:21:19 PM »

I would think even Mike and Bruce would like to rant like this on some nights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrAakyDV0Ag
Wilsonista
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2009, 08:52:33 PM »

I can think of two. At the CBS Convention in 1977, Mike says something like "And now we're gonna bring out THE MAN! I'm talking 'bout my CUZ!". For some reason, I always thought it sounded pretty cool , the way he yelled out THE MAN!  Grin Another really cringe-worthy one is during the intro to SDT(I think?) from Carnage Hall, 1972. He was talking about the audience clapping, and said something like "I mean, if  you're not into it, you're not into it. If you can't get behind it, you can't get behind it", in a really goofy voice. Roll Eyes

That last one sticks out for me as an example of his insufferable smugness, just a gratingly ingratiating self-absorption and overweening ego. His role in the band and in writing lyrics for many of the songs is undeniable, but there is a possessiveness and sense of entitlement that is disproportionate, and a truly nauseating cutesiness, smarminess and palpable pleasure in hearing the sound of his own voice. He has mellowed out a lot in recent years though.

But seriously, ask me what I REALLY think. Evil

Agreed, on all points. I am glad that he has toned that  a lot in recent years.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2009, 12:48:28 AM »

In the early 70s, Bruce used to talk to the audience a lot, too.

All I ever seem to have heard Bruce saying on stage are the albums on which the particular song is.
Plus "We're going to Kokomo!"

Mike's goofines surely had some charm in the beginning, but as they became older and almost hip, it just was terrible imo. There's at least one review in the Badman-book that mentions this as disturbing, too. Nah, I really don't like most of his stage banter. There are some cool ones, though "Uncomfortable seat" anyone?  Grin

Hehe. Yes. The uncomfortable seat. Nobel Prize Material. Mike has an uncanny sense of breaking a song's tension/beauty with some stupid vocal interspersion. Like: 'different tempo (y'all singalong)' in Good Vibrations, Live In London. Or the horrific namecheck of Al Jardine at the end of Lady Lynda (Knebworth), that I mentioned earlier.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2009, 03:16:39 AM »

If you listen to Good Vibe's on Knebworth and during the audience sing-a-long he mentions the camera's. I think Carl say's 'Good One'.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2009, 06:31:26 AM »

...said something like "I mean, if  you're not into it, you're not into it. If you can't get behind it, you can't get behind it", in a really goofy voice. Roll Eyes

That's actually one of my favorite Mike coments, I always smile at that.
Alex11
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2009, 10:34:02 PM »

Or the 93 Box Set Tour in New York when it comes to "Disney Girls":

Mike: "You can hear it in every elevator in the country."
Bruce: "Right after Kokomo"

1988 during the intro of "Be true to your school", when the sound guy messes up the echo:
"Was this the echo from last year's show??"

AWO Sessions, Switzerland, Beach Boys Show 2003: the audience, mostly upper-class well-suited golf-playing people (it was a charity show), whom Mike refers to as "the handicap section".

During the show he asks the seated audience to get up an dance:
"come on, those are rock'n'roll based songs. Stand up. Help thy neighbour!!"

Cheesy
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2009, 02:19:05 AM »

AWO Sessions, Switzerland, Beach Boys Show 2003: the audience, mostly upper-class well-suited golf-playing people (it was a charity show), whom Mike refers to as "the handicap section".

Cheesy

Sounds like these ones were straight out of the Rodney Dangerfield joke book!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2009, 07:30:22 AM »

Cheesy

More lke Don Rickles don't you think?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2009, 07:49:35 AM »

Mike Love went into a bar, sat down,  and ordered a drink.  The bartender said Hey we don't get many Beach Boys in here.  Mike said, no, and at these prices I'll have to sue Brian Wilson again we'll have to tour ALL YEAR!

TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2009, 11:40:10 AM »

Cheesy

More lke Don Rickles don't you think?

Hey, I'm Aussie, I'm not that familiar with the work of Don Rickles. We might be California V2.0 but we're not totally absorbed in American culture, we have our own Strayyan kulcha to worry about too. Anyhoos I was think more Dangerfield circa Caddy Shack.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2009, 03:47:47 PM »

Rickles is a well known old time insult comedian.  Dangerfield was more self deprecating. Rickles is known for hurling insults at the audience.

Is Strayyan Kulcha an insult comedian?  An odd name.   Sounds Eastern European. Razz
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2009, 04:40:15 PM »

Rickles is a well known old time insult comedian.  Dangerfield was more self deprecating. Rickles is known for hurling insults at the audience.

Is Strayyan Kulcha an insult comedian?  An odd name.   Sounds Eastern European. Razz

I don't wanna be austen tayshus about it so here's some strayyan kulcha for ya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97YnGQE1q6M&feature=related

(It helps if you lived through the era and get the esoteric connections)
PaulHippensteel
Smiley Smile Associate

Tach it up, buddy gonna shut you down

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2009, 07:55:10 PM »

Considering all the odd things Mike Love says on the '69 Live In London album I've always wondered what "exotic influence" he was under during the concert. Or maybe British food drove him to fasting! (for you Brits reading this, I've been to England and loved the cuisine so don't take it personally!)

Chad Stuart once told me "Bruce Johnston should have been a diplomat instead of wasting his time doing music". My late father (who ranked "Hawaii 5-0" as one of his favorite TV shows) used to say Bruce looked like Jack Lord!

Our family went to LA several times during the '60s & '70s. Several months after one of our visits (in either '75 or '77) The Beach Boys were on TV and my mom pointed to Mike Love and said "I saw him Farmer's Market"!

The P.L.H. Organ-izayshun: Rock instrumentals live on an original 1966 Farfisa!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2009, 04:04:30 AM »

Rickles is funny. Check him out at Dean Martin's roasts :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ALHiadIsKo

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2009, 08:04:10 AM »

Mike gave a real "winner" during the boot of the Seattle concert from '83. A shirtless Dennis rises from the drums to acknowledge the audience and Mike goes "ladies, don't forget to stuff Dennis' shorts with dollar bills". Some of you might have found it funny.

I'm sure Dennis stormed off in a huff.....in a minute and a huff.

So Groucho Marx was on stage with them?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx