gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 01:20:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are any of you musicians?  (Read 7823 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 07:46:03 PM »

And don't get me started on chord progressions (ie. I-IV-V)...For the life of me that stuff is confusing. I'm much more comfortable with "play C them play Em then play G" than with trying to figure out what chords I, IV, V, etc. are supposed to stand for.

I recommend you give it a shot. For me, anyway, learning music theory made everything much easier, because you no longer just learn this set of chords, but this set of chord types in succession. So your C-Em-G is all well and good as a I-iii-V (or maybe IV-vi-I), and thus it's the same as an A-C#m-E, for example. You quickly see the function and structure, so that music isn't a matter of memorizing specifics, but understanding mechanics.

On the other hand, by most accounts Brian had somewhere in the not-much range of understanding theory, so it's not as if it's essential.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 07:58:53 PM »

And don't get me started on chord progressions (ie. I-IV-V)...For the life of me that stuff is confusing. I'm much more comfortable with "play C them play Em then play G" than with trying to figure out what chords I, IV, V, etc. are supposed to stand for.

I recommend you give it a shot. For me, anyway, learning music theory made everything much easier, because you no longer just learn this set of chords, but this set of chord types in succession. So your C-Em-G is all well and good as a I-iii-V (or maybe IV-vi-I), and thus it's the same as an A-C#m-E, for example. You quickly see the function and structure, so that music isn't a matter of memorizing specifics, but understanding mechanics.

On the other hand, by most accounts Brian had somewhere in the not-much range of understanding theory, so it's not as if it's essential.

Honestly, I'm more intrigued by effects, recording and mixing techniques, etc. than I am about musical notes, chord changes and progressions, etc.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2009, 04:14:21 AM »

As I'm going through the process of recording my CD "The Human Experience" I find mySELF more and more interested in capturing EMOTION and Feeling moreso than the technical aspect of piecing this together.
And amazingly I'm writing material on the spot as I'm recording!!  Very cool creative "high" I'm on with my CD.

Cheers,
Bri
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 01:43:21 PM »

Honestly, I'm more intrigued by effects, recording and mixing techniques, etc. than I am about musical notes, chord changes and progressions, etc.

You'd never get me to discount those, either. And even less so the items Big Bri mentions about feel and emotion. In my personal opinion, though (as opposed to my NON-personal opinion??) the recording is the least important aspect of a song. Everything counts, adding to or taking away from the final experience. But my ears would rather hear melodies, harmonies, interesting constructions, emotion, wit, etc. than a perfectly engineered kick drum or funny phaser. Clearly opinion and hopefully understood only as such.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2009, 02:22:23 AM »

Just wanted to say that I gave the other members of my band some youtubelinks for possible Beach Boys-covers. I hope we'll decide next week, which one we're gonna do for this fan-cd

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2009, 01:27:55 PM »

You'd never get me to discount those, either. And even less so the items Big Bri mentions about feel and emotion. In my personal opinion, though (as opposed to my NON-personal opinion??) the recording is the least important aspect of a song. Everything counts, adding to or taking away from the final experience. But my ears would rather hear melodies, harmonies, interesting constructions, emotion, wit, etc. than a perfectly engineered kick drum or funny phaser. Clearly opinion and hopefully understood only as such.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love emotion/feel and good musicianship in a song...if I didn't like that stuff I wouldn't be listening to Smiley Smile or Wild Honey...the best engineering in the world won't save a crappy piece of music...It's just that the recording process draws more attention from me than the songwriting process. Or something like that.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2009, 01:37:02 PM »

Totally understood.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 01:49:05 AM »

I'd be up for doing something, I have a myspace here;

http://www.myspace.com/brigadiermusic

I did a cover of 'that special feeling' some time ago too.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2009, 10:25:52 PM »

I'd be up for something too, here's my myspace page:

www.myspace.com/josephrichards

Funny really, I've just started to rehearse a whole heap of Brian Wilson songs for a solo tribute type of gig I was thinking of doing.

My preference would be to cover Surf's Up.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2009, 12:41:09 AM »

I could do a good approximation of Brian at the 1981 Long Beach concert!! LOL LOL LOL

OK. I will do Carl in Melbourne then, including the apologies. Done deal.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2009, 10:08:01 AM »

So, well, should we start making a list now? I asked the other guys in my band and we're now gonna do "Wild honey".

Check out "The Orange Whip" in my signature to get a small idea of our sound

EDIT: Oh, and do you think if this "CD" is gonna turn out good, that it could be used on fan-meetings, etc? I think that would be cool...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 10:10:13 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2009, 03:28:01 PM »

So, well, should we start making a list now? I asked the other guys in my band and we're now gonna do "Wild honey".

Check out "The Orange Whip" in my signature to get a small idea of our sound

EDIT: Oh, and do you think if this "CD" is gonna turn out good, that it could be used on fan-meetings, etc? I think that would be cool...

Good choice! I'm currently a bit obsessed with BW88 at the moment, so might do something off that - 'Walkin' The Line' or 'Melt Away' being my main contenders. I'll have a go on them tomorrow, see what sounds better. Anyone else game?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2009, 07:44:51 PM »

Just picked up 'Bicycle Rider' on my keyboard. That is some FUN to play, or as I should say, it's fun fun fun to play
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2009, 09:28:51 PM »

I just have to figure out what tune to do, or an instrumental medley, & I'm up for this.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2009, 09:37:25 AM »

I'm in! I'm in! I'm in!

"You Still Believe In Me"

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2009, 11:31:41 AM »

I'm in! I'm in! I'm in!

That sounds interesting. The vocals are not easy.

- Jack Rieley
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2009, 12:12:36 PM »

I'm in! I'm in! I'm in!

Oh, so the result has to be good?  Smiley

No, I know, they're quite tricky. I'm not even sure I've picked them out correctly. Well, that'll show.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2009, 12:23:23 PM »

I'm in! I'm in! I'm in!

No, I know, they're quite tricky. I'm not even sure I've picked them out correctly. Well, that'll show.

I've got confidence in you....

- Jack Rieley
Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2009, 12:23:39 PM »

aight folks, I'm starting the thread in the musicians section. Stake your claim now....
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2009, 12:53:01 PM »

I'm in! I'm in! I'm in!

I've got confidence in you....

Then we're one...

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2009, 02:59:45 PM »

In its original key? Looking forward to that!

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2009, 03:41:30 PM »

In its original key? Looking forward to that!

Yep, key of G. I already recorded a demo-version but just found out that a cable is missing and I can't get it onto my computer (still recording analog).

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2009, 06:53:12 AM »

Guys, I got a question. Would it be okay, to upload our recording on our MySpace-site, after we finished this CD? I don't know about all this copyright-stuff, but I'd like to have it there for other people to listen to....

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2010, 09:51:12 AM »

Sorry to bring this up. I just thought in case anybody is interested in participating in our own little Beach Boys-tribute I'd post the link again:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,7740.0.html

We're shooting for March 31st

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx