gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681509 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 09:02:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys and Dean Martin  (Read 5796 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: August 11, 2009, 04:27:51 AM »

I asked this years ago on another message board, but got no good answer. So, does anyone have pictures of the Beach Boys (or just one of them) and Dean Martin? After all he was Carl's father-in-law from '88 on (I guess that's the year) and though these were nearly the last years Dino did tour, I thought there might be a good chance that pictures exist.
And I also wonder why the BBs never appeared on the Dean Martin-show. They had some strong connections (Dino, Desi and Billy, Ricci Martin). Jan&Dean did appear on the show, so why not the Beach Boys?

BTW Just thinking, but how great would it have been if Brian produced "Adult/Child"-like big band/swing stuff for Dino.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 10:39:15 AM »

Google the following ........dean martin family photo album....go to images, page 3
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 11:11:33 AM »

Google the following ........dean martin family photo album....go to images, page 3

Sorry, but it doesn't work for me. Do you have a direct link ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 11:26:50 AM »

I'll try again.  I'm having a hard time sending the picture but try this:  Go to google.  On the search bar, type dean martin family photo album.   Enter.   Then when the list of sites comes up, go to the menu bar and clck on images.  You should get a bunch of Dean related images.  Then scroll down and click on page 3 and enter.  Look carefully at that page and you'll find 2 pictures of Dean and Carl together with ...I presume, Gina.  And at least one of them enlarges quite nicely.  I'm going to try to save it to my collecttion of  BB images
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:32:48 AM by donald » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 11:36:37 AM »

I'll try again.  I'm having a hard time sending the picture but try this:  Go to google.  On the search bar, type dean martin family photo album.   Enter.   Then when the list of sites comes up, go to the menu bar and clck on images.  You should get a bunch of Dean related images.  Then scroll down and click on page 3 and enter.  Look carefully at that page and you'll find 2 pictures of Dean and Carl together with ...I presume, Gina.  And at least one of them enlarges quite nicely.  I'm going to try to save it to my collecttion of  BB images

Great. Thank you ! I forgot that I use the german version of google, but now I got it. Great pics.

EDIT: I posted them in the media-section
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:39:06 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Dugan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 10:37:14 AM »

Direct link:

http://images.google.com/images?q=dean+martin+family+photo+album&q=source%3Alife
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 10:45:44 AM »

Thanks !
Two of the most beautiful voices of the last century...

- Jack Rieley
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 02:02:45 AM »

Dean - O :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqNSbqRfo6E
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 09:18:31 AM »

Try the same link and replace dean martin family photo album with "the beach boys source: life".  Some pictures there I have never seen.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 11:47:20 AM »

Jeez; this must be where the photo of Dennis from the cover of People Magazine comes from.  Gosh, he looks terrible...
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 02:06:16 PM »

Anyone know if Dean Martin had an opinion about the Beach Boys?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 02:25:21 PM »

Anyone know if Dean Martin had an opinion about the Beach Boys?

I'm pretty sure he had an opinion, but I'd like too to know more about this.

BTW Can you imagine Carl and Dino singing togetehr? Two of the most beautiful voices of the 20th century....

- Jack Rieley
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 01:24:29 PM »

A rather obscure, Kevin Bacon/Six degree  Beach Boy/Dean Martin connection is Dean's first, (and possibly last), music video, "Since I Met You Baby", directed by Ricci in 1983:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u611rzlbpw 

By the way, Ricci Martin tells this story much more completely in his excellent book about life with Dean, (as well as with The Boys), "That's Amore - A Son Remembers".  However, he neglects to mention that his main cameraman on this shoot he directed of his Dad was none other than Beach Boy sideman/ Dennis Wilson collaborator Carli Munoz!  http://www.carlimunoz.com/  Carli was transitioning from music to video, which was his first venture when he returned to Puerto Rico.  (If you're ever there, his latest venture is a really hot jazz restaurant, Carli Cafe Concierto:  http://www.carlicafeconcierto.com/restaurant/  ).  Sorry for all the plugs, but I love these guys!  Such fond memories of when they had the fantastic band with Billy, Ricky Fataar, Wayne Tweed, Sammy Clayton & Steve Ross, MAIN SQUEEZE!  (Damn, someone release some of those tapes!)  Those guys played some great beach dives that are no more...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 01:25:40 PM by Ed Roach » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 01:56:27 PM »

A rather obscure, Kevin Bacon/Six degree  Beach Boy/Dean Martin connection is Dean's first, (and possibly last), music video, "Since I Met You Baby", directed by Ricci in 1983:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u611rzlbpw 

By the way, Ricci Martin tells this story much more completely in his excellent book about life with Dean, (as well as with The Boys), "That's Amore - A Son Remembers".  However, he neglects to mention that his main cameraman on this shoot he directed of his Dad was none other than Beach Boy sideman/ Dennis Wilson collaborator Carli Munoz!  http://www.carlimunoz.com/  Carli was transitioning from music to video, which was his first venture when he returned to Puerto Rico.  (If you're ever there, his latest venture is a really hot jazz restaurant, Carli Cafe Concierto:  http://www.carlicafeconcierto.com/restaurant/  ).  Sorry for all the plugs, but I love these guys!  Such fond memories of when they had the fantastic band with Billy, Ricky Fataar, Wayne Tweed, Sammy Clayton & Steve Ross, MAIN SQUEEZE!  (Damn, someone release some of those tapes!)  Those guys played some great beach dives that are no more...

Thanks for the infos Ed ! Great to read this ! Do you remember a specific meeting of the BBs and Dean? I guess the release party for Ricci's first album would've been such an occasion, as it's been told that all the Beach Boys were there (plus John Lennon). And I guess that Dino wouldn't miss that one.

BTW I remember reading that the Sunflower-covershot was done on Dean Martin's ranch.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 10:49:07 AM »

Here's another picture of Carl and Gina Martin-Wilson

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 05:56:39 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 08:34:21 PM »

The bottom pic looks like a different Gina altogether, not Carl's widow. Her face is too wide, for one thing.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 05:56:11 AM »

The bottom pic looks like a different Gina altogether, not Carl's widow. Her face is too wide, for one thing.

To tell you the truth, I only googled around a little, so you might be right. I guess, I'll take that picture off....  Wink

- Jack Rieley
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 09:54:44 PM »

I was going to ask about this as well when I searched and found this from 4 years ago. Since most of the links aren't working from the previous posts...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.thebeachboys.ch/Galerie/albums/userpics/3f6f8fec327c8571_landing.jpg&imgrefurl=http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic%3D12325.0&h=388&w=600&sz=30&tbnid=09qaGY2_-Ac9eM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=144&zoom=1&usg=__l1X7RFm2TUosrW027nA0KHuyfiU=&docid=Sx_yJ8jOmuTqEM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=-dmJUY-RGo689QSW0IHoBQ&ved=0CDsQ9QEwAQ&dur=18

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 03:05:55 PM »

Good job MTR. Thanks these are cool pics  Cool Guy

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx