gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:42:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Larry Knechtal RIP  (Read 2283 times)
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2009, 12:15:26 AM »

Larry Knechtal, one of the GREATEST studio sessioneers ever - and a key member of the Wrecking Crew, the Pet Sounds sessions, and member of Bread - sadly passed away on August 20th of a suspected heart attack. Another of my heroes passes on ...

RIP  Cry

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 02:47:44 AM »

Horrible, sad news. What a career.  The first thing that entered my head was "Bridge Over Troubled Water", a whole career in itself.  His work will live forever.

I hope he was interviewed relentlessly.  Hang in there, Josh.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 06:40:39 AM »

Another great one has left us.  One of the younger members of the "Wrecking Crew", someone you never expect to go this early.  Rest in peace.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 11:41:59 AM »

Very sad news to hear...RIP Larry.
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 01:21:38 PM »

It should read Larry Knechtel. Keyboards and bass on Pet Sounds.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 01:23:17 PM by dogear » Logged

Watson, did you hear this?
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 08:49:39 PM »

Aside from the early stuff, Larry Knechtel played on both Jan & Dean projects from the sunshine pop / psychedelic era . . . Save For A Rainy Day and Carnival of Sound.

Stay tuned for some good news on Carnival of sound, forthcoming later this year.

And let's not forget "Snowflakes On Laughing Gravy's Whiskers" . . . which Larry arranged with Joe Osborn in '67.

Mark M.

49ersphil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 08:26:43 AM »

Very sad to lose this great musician at such a relatively early age.

I see that he spent his retirement in Yakima WA, so at least he was guaranteed some good microbrews in his twilight years!

I found this link to a list of his musical contributions. Impressive indeed.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~mansion3/larryknechtel.html

R.I.P. Larry.

Close your eyes and lean back and listen to wind chimes
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 09:46:03 PM »

Larry Knechtel dies at 69; bassist, keyboardist for '70s soft-rock group Bread

Knechtel played keyboards and bass with the Wrecking Crew, a group of L.A. studio musicians, before joining Bread in 1971. His arrangement of 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' won a Grammy in 1970.

By Keith Thursby

August 24, 2009

Larry Knechtel, a member of the 1970s soft-rock group Bread, who had a wide-ranging career as a studio musician, has died.

Knechtel died Thursday at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital in Yakima, Wash. He was 69. A hospital official would not release a cause of death, but a report in the Yakima Herald-Republic said he apparently suffered a heart attack.

Knechtel played keyboards, bass guitar and harmonica as a member of the Wrecking Crew, a group of Los Angeles studio musicians that included future headliners Glen Campbell and Leon Russell and session drummer Hal Blaine. Knechtel played with Elvis Presley, the Beach Boys, the Byrds, the Mamas and the Papas and many others.

"It just snowballed. I was in the right place at the right time," Knechtel told the Yakima paper in 2004. "It was a lot of fun. We were all young. I was making big money and hearing myself on the radio."

In 2007, members of the Wrecking Crew were inducted into the Musicians Hall of Fame in Nashville.

Knechtel, who was born Aug. 4, 1940, in Bell, first played with Kip Tyler and the Flips and in 1959 joined Duane Eddy, a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame guitarist. He won a Grammy in 1970 for his arrangement of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel. Knechtel also played the piano on that song.

In 1971, he joined Bread after the group's second album, when Robb Royer left.

"We needed somebody to play bass and keyboards and provide a strong instrumental element that we had been lacking," singer David Gates told The Times in 1977. "Larry was just what we needed."

Knechtel played on the Dixie Chicks' "Taking the Long Way" album and toured with the group in 2006. He had been living in Yakima since 2003.

According to the Herald-Republic, Knechtel is survived by his wife, Vickie; son Lonnie and daughter Shelli Kokenge; his mother, Edna Knechtel; brothers Don and Bob Knechtel; and three grandchildren.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-larry-knechtel24-2009aug24,0,3190712.story
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 10:33:02 PM »

I remember the "Best of Bread" comps from the mid-'70s — on 8-track. I was a youngster then.

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 11:00:35 AM »

Didn't he also play guitar on "Look (Song for Children)" on the original '67 sessions?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx