gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 11:24:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian Track  (Read 3286 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2009, 09:59:54 PM »

Ok, did I miss something?

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 10:07:35 PM »

It's from a CD called 'new songs from old friends' or something like that. About two years old and not particularly memorable, though not really bad either. He also re-did GOK and their was an entire months-long debate about THAT track...

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 10:22:43 PM »

It says "radio edit".  Does anyone know if this shorter version is on the new CD?  I've always enjoyed the song, but it was always a tad bit too long to warrant repeated listens in the car.
Nicole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 10:59:33 PM »

I like it
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 12:18:12 AM »

i also think its a great song. He used his backup band on it. Great harmonies.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 01:03:52 AM »

I think it's better than almost anything on TLOS. Maybe it's not quircky enough for his audience.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 01:28:06 AM »

To me it sounds like something that could have fit on Imagination and it probably would've been among the better tunes on that album. The lyrics strike me as incredibly bland, though - anyone could have come up with those and I'm perfectly sure it does neither need Burt Bacharach nor Brian Wilson in order to write something as downright generic as this (or did the lyrics originate from a third party?).

Have to say I do indeed prefer the more quirky BW tunes these days. To me he's just much more convincing singing "Oxygen To The Brain".
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 01:29:12 AM by phirnis » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 01:56:37 AM »

Interesting - the CD single says produced by Phil Ramone... the original credit over two years ago was by Phil and Brian.

And as I recall, Burt didn't supply the lyric.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 02:32:23 AM »

To me it sounds like something that could have fit on Imagination and it probably would've been among the better tunes on that album. The lyrics strike me as incredibly bland, though - anyone could have come up with those and I'm perfectly sure it does neither need Burt Bacharach nor Brian Wilson in order to write something as downright generic as this (or did the lyrics originate from a third party?).

Agree with that ^ assessment.

The copy I have from 2007 clocks in at 4:33, and, in addition to Bacharach and Wilson, Steve Krikorkian (who is he?) is credited.

I don't know who actually produced those sessions, but Brian's lead vocals on "What Love Can Do" AND "God Only Knows" are very, very good, among the best of his solo years....
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 03:59:16 AM »

Steve Krikorkian (who is he?) is credited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonio_K
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 04:08:13 AM »

I don't know who actually produced those sessions...

Try looking directly below your original post.  Smiley

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 06:02:59 AM »

I don't know who actually produced those sessions...

Try looking directly below your original post.  Smiley

Well, of course. You have Phil Ramone, Burt Bacharach, and Brian Wilson involved, and the song's produced by......Tonio K. police
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 06:13:27 AM »

On iTunes it is the full 4:33.  Has anyone heard it played on the radio yet?

It says "radio edit".  Does anyone know if this shorter version is on the new CD?  I've always enjoyed the song, but it was always a tad bit too long to warrant repeated listens in the car.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 08:13:02 AM »

To address petsite's original inquiry, while this song originates from a TARGET store-only release entitled NEW MUSIC FROM AN OLD FRIEND (2007), a somewhat revamped version of the album has now been given a larger release under the title WHAT LOVE CAN DO with the Brian/Bacharach track treated as the lead-off single.

The original version of the album featured two tracks from Carole King which have now been removed.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 08:48:46 AM »

To address petsite's original inquiry, while this song originates from a TARGET store-only release entitled NEW MUSIC FROM AN OLD FRIEND (2007),

Not so: you could always - and still can - order the original CD from the 180 Music website, thus...

http://www.180music.com/spotlight/features_newmusic.html

And I'm getting mighty pissed at any- and everyone referring to it as a new track. It isn't. It was recorded fall 2006, released February 2007. I can understand the Blooies having multiple orgasms over "Brian's new song", but I honestly expected better of folk here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 09:12:16 AM »

It doesn't help that the label reissuing it has a press release that says things like "all new," "newly recorded," etc. We discussed this a month ago, btw.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,7528.0.html

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wilsonista
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 10:10:25 AM »

To address petsite's original inquiry, while this song originates from a TARGET store-only release entitled NEW MUSIC FROM AN OLD FRIEND (2007),

Not so: you could always - and still can - order the original CD from the 180 Music website, thus...

And I'm getting mighty pissed at any- and everyone referring to it as a new track. It isn't. It was recorded fall 2006, released February 2007. I can understand the Blooies having multiple orgasms over "Brian's new song", but I honestly expected better of folk here.

Shame on you, Andrew.

This was NOT that well known.  That a collector like Bob Flory has to ASK about this 2 years after the fact should have been a tip-off.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:12:44 AM by RobMac » Logged
Wilsonista
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 10:23:31 AM »

Your Bellagio is missing an upcoming Brian date that was posted  on the Blueboard  two days ago. (December 4, 2009 in Rancho Mirage, I believe).

Can't believe you missed that one.  Last time a date was posted on the Bloo, you corrected Bellagio in five minutes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 10:39:15 AM »

Shame on you, Andrew.

This was NOT that well known.  That a collector like Bob Flory has to ASK about this 2 years after the fact should have been a tip-off.

My impression was that amongst the likes of us here, it was, and is, well known and old news. In my eyes this is the current premier hard-core BB/BW forum.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 10:40:49 AM »

Your Bellagio is missing an upcoming Brian date that was posted  on the Blueboard  two days ago. (December 4, 2009 in Rancho Mirage, I believe).

Can't believe you missed that one.  Last time a date was posted on the Bloo, you corrected Bellagio in five minutes.

Last time my 85-year-old mom wasn't in the cardiology ward of the local hospital.

Thanks for the heads-up - appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:47:26 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Wilsonista
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 10:58:42 AM »

I hope your mother is doing all right and feeling better.

Another correction: the November 7 show in Rochester is not happening (I think it was up on bw.com but is no longer there).
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 11:48:23 AM »

I knew and have the Target CD. I just wondered if thei was a re-issue connected to something. Sheesh?!?
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 01:09:42 AM »

I would still really like to hear the radio edit.  I'll have to see if I can buy the promo single somewhere.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 01:40:17 AM »

I would still really like to hear the radio edit.  I'll have to see if I can buy the promo single somewhere.

One sold on eBay last night and it weren't cheap!  About $30+ if I remember right.

“We live in divisive times.”
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 09:08:29 AM »

Wow!  I don't want it that badly!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx