gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:13:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ed Carter's contributions to Beach Boys records, late 60s early 70s  (Read 16347 times)
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2006, 01:57:07 PM »

Assuming it wasn't all cut live.  I mean, there's obviously overdubs, but there's just a lot of instrumentation, I hear possibly three acoustic guitars, Red, another electric guitar, Drums, percussion, piano, organ, two basses (Fender plus String, I think, but could be two Fenders), then a large horn section, probably three trumpets and I'd wager at least 5 saxes.

And a Jew's harp.

Watch out for snakes!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2006, 01:59:38 PM »

And a Jew's harp.

I consider that part of "percussion." 
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2006, 02:12:27 PM »

So it is.

Watch out for snakes!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2006, 06:02:11 PM »

Well, Badman apparently found documentation of an ABC TV appearance taped Aug. 19, '69, that included Red Rhodes, Daryl & Dennis Dragon, Ed Carter, and the following horn players:
Fred Koyen, Bill Byrne, Bill Peterson, and David Edwards.  This was a mere four days after the recording session.  Now, these guys COULD be the regular traveling band, including the horn section, that they brought on tour with them at the time (except Rhodes, of course), and it would make sense that they would do the TV show with them.   If they used their road band on the recording session, as Al apparently confirms, then it's probably all of these guys.

FYI, there's some confusion over exactly where this version of "Cottonfields" was recorded.  Al
has said "Sunset Sound", but documentation apparently cites "S.I.R." (Studio Instrument Rentals).  One possible explanation:  at the time, S.I.R. included a large soundstage which they called...the "Sunset Soundstage".  Smiley

C-Man
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2006, 07:10:28 PM »

Here is a pic of Carl and Daryl...someone mentioned.  Dennis is a bonus.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2006, 07:31:54 PM »

See what I mean?  Cool just doesn't get any cooler!  (Dennis too!)

C-Man
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2006, 12:10:05 AM »

Awesome, Mark.  Thanks.  Why in god's name are there not more pictures from the studio like that!?!?!
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2006, 01:46:21 PM »

I think that picture is from the Surf's Up era.....there was a whole series of shots at Brian's Bellagio studio on the lp sleeve etc.  Many others are more commonly seen.  That's my guess anyway.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2006, 01:59:46 PM »

I would just think that there would be a lot of photos of the interior of the studio, with musicians in place, etc, than there are.  I think there's more photographic evidence of alien life than photographic evidence that the Beach Boys ever actually recorded anything.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2006, 02:25:53 PM »

Isn't Earl Leaf or someone like that supposed to be sitting on a huge trove of unseen photos?

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2006, 02:30:42 PM »

Or David Leaf, who I'm sure has a lot of unseen ones.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2006, 03:23:14 PM »

We may be getting fairly near the end of the unheard recordings, but the unseen photos
are another matter.  I imagine there are thousands, maybe tens of thousands.  Wrecking Crew
members, engineers, publicists, their families...where did the great pictures of Brian with the little
girls and their copies of "The Little Girl I Once Knew" singles (from the Roxy  DVD) turn up? 
And where were those taken?

But I seem to recall something about Earl Leaf (I think?) having an unimaginably huge vault of
unseen photos, which would surely include some studio shots, which he said (on some board)
that he wouldn't have time to catalogue  for years.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2006, 03:25:34 PM »

Well, it would deeply enhance my life, and I'm sure the lives of many others, to see more shots of the Beach Boys in the studio.  The Carl/Daryl picture really made my week.  I mean, it just opens up a whole new understanding of the home studio for me.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx