gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 08:20:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dancing with The Beach Boys  (Read 2231 times)
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2009, 01:03:31 PM »

So I was just curious as to what other BB fans consider to be the "danciest" BB songs. The Beatles and The Stones both have music that is fairly danceable, but the BB's are a bit slim on this area, or at least it seems to me. There songs are often too complex and strange in their rhythmic/chord changes that sometimes I imagine it'd kill the groove. Plus the harmonies takes up such a huge chunk of their music. Here's what I could think of:

Slip On Through--obvious choice
You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone--seems danceable to me anyway, it's got a real steady rhythm
Sail On, Sailor
Mona--if the production of the it wasn't so bizarre I think people could dance to it
She's Got Rhythm and Matchpoint of Our Love--both very poppy, disco tracks that definitely want to be danced to
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times--the chorus especially
Good Vibrations
Darlin'
When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)--the piano has a real driving beat
All I Wanna Do--in a slow dance, blissed out kind of way
Funky Pretty--though the verses are a little low key it is a pretty "funky" song...the live version kicks it up a bit with that hi-hat

So, what are some of your guys' favorite BB songs that 1. Make you feel like dancing or 2. You think would go over well with a crowd that can dance to stuff like the Beatles and the Stones
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 01:16:12 PM »

FAST DANCE:
- Surfin' USA
- Kokomo
- Wipe Out (w/ Fat Boys)
- Barbara Ann

SLOW DANCE:
- Surfer Girl
- Kiss Me Baby
- Only With You
- Your Summer Dream
- Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 06:18:58 PM »

Cant believe no one said "Dance, Dance, Dance"! & "Do Ya Wanna Dance". I dance to "Got To Know The Woman" all the time... Grin I think they actually have quite a few danceable songs. Oh Rock N Roll To The Rescue too!

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
Nicole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 08:12:25 PM »

Dance Dance Dance was the first one that popped into my head, and now it's stuck there Tongue

Sheriff John Stone summed it up pretty well. Their version of Why Do Fools Fall In Love is really upbeat too, could be good for dancing.
Marie Jayne
Smiley Smile Associate

I get a lot of thoughts in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 05:32:36 AM »

I was at a wedding reception the other day and requested a BB song. The DJ chose Help me Rhonda and the few people that were on the floor, left!! I was devastated! Me and my mum stayed and danced our socks of anyway  Happy Dance

Come close, close your eyes and be still
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 08:32:56 AM »

If anyone can dance to any beach boy tune and make it look hot, it's TAYLOR MILLS!   Watching her at performances is my fav angle. Watch how she grooves to IJWMFTT....oh! and that hoola dance she does on Roll Plymoth Rock...it's hot

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 09:54:44 AM »

I wonder, if Brian lasts another few years, if they'll eventually replace Taylor with someone younger.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 11:22:26 AM »

Dance' Dance' Dance for a fast dance, even though you would look fully stupid doing it.

The usals like GOK for a slow dance.

The only time I ever dancred to a BB song was at a wedding to Good Vibrations

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 11:54:12 AM »

Ever wedding I go to with my girlfriend, we try to get the DJ to play Surfer Girl, because I told her that's the only song I'd dance with her to. The DJ always ignores our requests.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 12:29:56 PM »

Ever wedding I go to with my girlfriend, we try to get the DJ to play Surfer Girl, because I told her that's the only song I'd dance with her to. The DJ always ignores our requests.

I've DJ'd hundreds of wedding receptions, and "Surfer Girl" is about the only BB song I can get people to dance to (they also sing to it; the words are familiar, even to younger people). Every once in awhile I will play "Surfin' USA" and get a few people, usually younger kids, to dance to it. Somebody once requested "409" and I then found out that it does have a danceable beat. People will bop around to "Kokomo" and "Wipe Out", and, believe it or not, "Barbara Ann" can bring some dancing-singing-hand clapping.

Every year I DJ this festival, and I love to open up with the Knebworth "California Girls" followed by the Knebworth "Do It Again". You wanna see people take notice, perk up, start bopping around, singing, SMILING. I crank it as loud as my system will allow!
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 04:02:46 PM »

Dance' Dance' Dance for a fast dance, even though you would look fully stupid doing it.

Who would look stupid? I dont think anyone would...

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 06:16:05 PM »

Who would look stupid? I dont think anyone would...

Maybe not stupid, but funny. Fast dancing in general is funny IMO lol

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 06:22:40 PM »

I agree. Hilarious.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 06:40:19 PM »

"Getcha Back" sure lit up my sister's 16th birthday party, if I remember correctly!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx