gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680836 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:16:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine Not Interested In A One-Off Beach Boys Reunion  (Read 37960 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 05:56:48 PM »

The rooftop get-together at Capitol Records was so stilted that it is pretty obvious it will never happen. The sand is almost gone in the hourglass anyway.
The rooftop reunion on the Capitol Tower wasn't at all "stilted", it was fun. Brian was having a great time joking around with Mike and Dave. He was completely loose, engaging and funny, and for the first time out of the dozen or more times I've been around him he seemed like a true leader. I actually felt like I was getting a glimpse of the Brian that used to exert control over the rest of those guys in the studio. He did it with humor and energy, and he certainly had it that day. Sure, it was fleeting, I don't expect to see it again...but to say that day was "stilted" is pretty far off base.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 06:01:26 PM »

What's the Internet coming to, when a person can't even make pronouncements or judgments about something he has no idea about without being busted by someone who does? For shame...

Wink

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 06:03:16 PM »

The rooftop get-together at Capitol Records was so stilted that it is pretty obvious it will never happen. The sand is almost gone in the hourglass anyway.
The rooftop reunion on the Capitol Tower wasn't at all "stilted", it was fun. Brian was having a great time joking around with Mike and Dave. He was completely loose, engaging and funny, and for the first time out of the dozen or more times I've been around him he seemed like a true leader. I actually felt like I was getting a glimpse of the Brian that used to exert control over the rest of those guys in the studio. He did it with humor and energy, and he certainly had it that day. Sure, it was fleeting, I don't expect to see it again...but to say that day was "stilted" is pretty far off base.

I agree, Jon, and I think that's why a one-off concert, maybe weekend retreat, maybe a PBS documentary - anything on a shortened timeline - has a chance. The guys, especially Brian, would know ahead of time that it is time sensitive, not a drawn out potential timebomb, and the guys could just go in and focus and be themselves.
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 06:17:02 PM »

I am  mixed on this one, I agree with Al to a point. I think it would be incredibly awesome if they all did get together for a tour but unfortunately I dont see that happening so why not do the next best thing and just get together for one or 2 concerts! Its just really all a shame....

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 06:21:41 PM »

Well, Al wants something in return for making Mike's dream of a reunion a reality. Totally normal. What he said in this interview is very different from "It will never happen".

Anyway, Brian is the man who will make our dreams or nightmares of a reunion possible.

Or more accurately, Melinda and Brian's management!! LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2009, 06:24:30 PM »

Will Elmo Peeler be involved in the reunion?

Cook pork throughly
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2009, 06:47:11 PM »

Al has said things in the past regarding lack of integrity, the disappointment of being promoted as the stereotypes they'd become. Yet, he still releases something like PT Cruiser and now is doing a remake of Help Me Rhonda? Not sure if his bark as bad as his bite.

In my opinion the best would be a new documentary in the style of Endless Harmony with a PBS type reunion show.

A few years back when I saw the Mike/Bruce show I overheard some people looking at the band and trying to figure out who Dennis and Brian were. Then someone else piped up and told them that Dennis wasn't there, he had died in a swimming pool! My point is that the average Joe most likely thinks the band has been the same for all these years.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2009, 06:55:42 PM »

A few years back when I saw the Mike/Bruce show I overheard some people looking at the band and trying to figure out who Dennis and Brian were. Then someone else piped up and told them that Dennis wasn't there, he had died in a swimming pool! My point is that the average Joe most likely thinks the band has been the same for all these years.

That damn "meat and potatoes crowd"!! LOL LOL LOL
But, really, someone thought Dennis was still alive...because I would've swore that was Brian Jones and not Ronny Wood on stage with the Stones during their last tour...and isn't Keith Moon still with the Who?...I have tickets to a Buddy Holly and the Crickets show next month...

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2009, 07:55:05 PM »

Well that's every ex memeber not interested in a reunion now

I knew I wasn't hearing things when he said "No way" at Mayfest!!!!! I'm with Al here too!!!! Without Dennis and Carl, there IS no reunion.......

I will not attend any type of scham like this.

I totally agree. As far as I'm concerned The Beach Boys as a live entity, touring and recording, and the possibility of ever having a reunion ceased when Denny died. I always thought of the group that toured after that as Carl Wilson & his backup band with occasional appearances by Brian Wilson. I just honestly don't see how any group can legitimately be called the Beach Boys without all three Wilsons. I do think if Brian, Al, David, Carl B, Justyn, Blondie, & Ricky all got together with the old backup band it would definitely be something special, even if it was only for one night. Something to "celebrate" 50 years, rather than do something solely for a buck and call it a reunion. As unfortunate as it may be, I'm afraid the other two would bring an "undesired element"Dead Horse and bad vibrations to an event like that, and who would want to get sued for the financial losses suffered by Mike for taking time away from his never ending tour anyway?
Nicole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2009, 08:21:59 PM »

I can see what Al means. But I'd really like to have a chance to see at least the surviving Beach Boys all on one stage together performing. That's the closest I'd ever get to seeing the Beach Boys as they were "back in the day," even if it's not really the same. It really wouldn't be the same without Denny or Carl, though. That's the part that sucks. My stepdad went to a few concerts and actually met all of them except Brian...I envy him so much for that, lol.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2009, 08:24:27 PM »

Joe's got a really good point. A PBS "concert" mixed with a running documentary putting the songs in context of the band's career would be an outstanding and historical proposal. As I was just saying to Stebbins, the BB's have zero presence on Public Television, they have no solid perennial that generations can grow up on -- much like 'Woodstock,' or even the Mamas and the Papas and Peter, Paul & Mary docs. For whatever reason neither 'American Band' nor 'Endless Harmony' found a home on PBS. That's a shame. These are the things that will survive as public oldies radio dies off (1963 is pretty much gone -- I'll give you a dollar for every Leslie Gore hit you hear these days...)

A two-hour reunion concert/doc would solidify the band's standing for the ages. As far as who hates whom -- c'mon... These guys have ALWAYS done horrible things to one another. Join a band, you'll understand.

2011 should be played out smoothly and brilliantly. There doesn't really need to be any confusion over who are the "REAL" Beach Boys -- the show could be billed as "The Beach Boys' 50th Anniversary Concert" complete with either a newly sanctioned doc by Boyd -- or huge chunks of "Endless Harmony" -- with the premiere tying in with the kickoff to an extensive, intelligent reissue series. Something like this could be done so beautifully.

If only the powers that be recognised that there are people waiting and willing to enable such things to happen COOLY. The Beach Boys don't HAVE to be a dork oldies band. Obviously they'll never again be the guys at the Crystal Palace -- but it could still be done with a tremendous amount of class and dignity.

If only the Beach Boys handled their sh*t with as much care and respect as Guercio has Dennis' work and legacy.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2009, 08:33:59 PM »

Joe's got a really good point. A PBS "concert" mixed with a running documentary putting the songs in context of the band's career would be an outstanding and historical proposal. As I was just saying to Stebbins, the BB's have zero presence on Public Television, they have no solid perennial that generations can grow up on -- much like 'Woodstock,' or even the Mamas and the Papas and Peter, Paul & Mary docs. For whatever reason neither 'American Band' nor 'Endless Harmony' found a home on PBS. That's a shame. These are the things that will survive as public oldies radio dies off (1963 is pretty much gone -- I'll give you a dollar for every Leslie Gore hit you hear these days...)

A two-hour reunion concert/doc would solidify the band's standing for the ages. As far as who hates whom -- c'mon... These guys have ALWAYS done horrible things to one another. Join a band, you'll understand.

2011 should be played out smoothly and brilliantly. There doesn't really need to be any confusion over who are the "REAL" Beach Boys -- the show could be billed as "The Beach Boys' 50th Anniversary Concert" complete with either a newly sanctioned doc by Boyd -- or huge chunks of "Endless Harmony" -- with the premiere tying in with the kickoff to an extensive, intelligent reissue series. Something like this could be done so beautifully.

If only the powers that be recognised that there are people waiting and willing to enable such things to happen COOLY. The Beach Boys don't HAVE to be a dork oldies band. Obviously they'll never again be the guys at the Crystal Palace -- but it could still be done with a tremendous amount of class and dignity.

If only the Beach Boys handled their sh*t with as much care and respect as Guercio has Dennis' work and legacy.

Yes, yes, and yes! Howie, do you have any access to the people at Capitol? Or PBS? You know they're interested in doing something. You and John Stebbins should talk to them. Can I tag along? Embarrassed
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2009, 08:47:27 PM »

Will Elmo Peeler be involved in the reunion?
Mississippi gentleman!

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2009, 08:55:35 PM »

I kind of agree with Al on this. I mean, why do a "one off" with bum guitar notes and sour harmony notes, when you can do it RIGHT? I want to see a great show that will celebrate The Beach Boys legacy, and the legacy of Dennis and Carl. I want The Beach Boys to go out on a high note(pardon the pun), the way it sould be, and the way the group deserves. I don't want the last memory of The Beach Boys to be another Long Beach 1981.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2009, 10:43:17 PM »

I wasn't there at Capitol, were you? I saw the videotape. When you have Al Jardine saying any kind of reunion would have to be approved by "this guy" meaning Mike, and Mike sneers back, and that's not "stilted.?" Of course there were smiles for the camera and then get me off this blazing rooftop! And they asked Dave  not to attend. Someone who thinks this was a positive advancement to the goal of re-uniting in a harmonious manner is stilted. And that includes you Luther. Get your facts straight before attempting to pile on.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 11:37:10 AM by Dave in KC » Logged
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2009, 10:47:09 PM »

Not to mention extremely awkward. Were you there Jon? IF you were, did you have warm tinglies running up and down your spine?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2009, 11:07:50 PM »

Not to mention extremely awkward. Were you there Jon? IF you were, did you have warm tinglies running up and down your spine?
Yes I was Dave...and yes I did. You saw the video tape...how long 5 or 10 minutes? While they were addressing the press. I rode there with Dave Marks, who was not only invited, but insisted upon and welcomed with open arms by Brian, Mike, Al and Bruce. He was also given a platinum award for Sounds of Summer. There was one dumb Capitol exec who didn't know who he was, but the guys who counted were extremely glad he was with them. I don't know where you get he wasn't invited. I spent about two hours mingling with the guys that day. Brian was absolutely cracking Mike and David up with his jokes. All of them had great conversations, and really seemed to be enjoying themselves and each other. You seem to be on the wrong track on this one man. Here's the report I filed in the immediate aftermath.
http://thejonstebbins.com/reunion.html
JR
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2009, 11:26:17 PM »

I knew I wasn't hearing things when he said "No way" at Mayfest!!!!! I'm with Al here too!!!! Without Dennis and Carl, there IS no reunion.......

I totally agree. As far as I'm concerned The Beach Boys as a live entity, touring and recording, and the possibility of ever having a reunion ceased when Denny died. I always thought of the group that toured after that as Carl Wilson & his backup band with occasional appearances by Brian Wilson. I just honestly don't see how any group can legitimately be called the Beach Boys without all three Wilsons. I do think if Brian, Al, David, Carl B, Justyn, Blondie, & Ricky all got together with the old backup band it would definitely be something special, even if it was only for one night. Something to "celebrate" 50 years, rather than do something solely for a buck and call it a reunion. As unfortunate as it may be, I'm afraid the other two would bring an "undesired element"Dead Horse and bad vibrations to an event like that, and who would want to get sued for the financial losses suffered by Mike for taking time away from his never ending tour anyway?

I'm sorry, but that's pathetic, and it's taking every fiber of my being to not call you the same. Ever since Denny died? Seriously? Come on.  The guy was hardly even around the last few years he was alive. Carl Wilson and his backup band? Please. What a ridiculous, biased, insane knock on the other band members. How many hits did Carl co-write? None? And that's coming from a guy whose favorite Beach Boy is Carl. This is so ridiculous, even for an internet message board. How much of a Brianista are you? Go back over to the cult board where you belong. Without all three Wilsons. Yeah, maybe if one didn't quit and the other managed to sober up, you'd have something.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2009, 11:27:05 PM »

What Al is basically saying is that he wants to go touring full time with the Beach Boys again, for at least a year anyway. Seems like positive news to me.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 11:32:31 PM by shelter » Logged
JR
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2009, 11:29:05 PM »

Are people here really mocking somebody who was actually at the thing?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2009, 07:46:28 AM »

I can appreciate Al's attitude about this thing.  Sounds like he wants recognition and inclusion as a full band member again.  Not to be a token former Beachboy allowed to appear with Mike's band for a one-off.    And as someone said, the sands are running out and the clock is ticking.  I myself am ready to hang up the saddle and I'm a good ten plus years younger than any of these guys.   

A full reuninon and yearlong tour won't happen because Brian wouldn't be there.  At least as far as the grueling yearlong tours Mike does.     

The compromise?   Al would rejoin the band now and be a part of the band as he should have been all along since the death of Carl.

Then plan a reunion/pbs type producton  with the band performing interspersed with EH type material.   Perhaps Brian could join the band, that would already include Al,  on the road for a few special shows that could be filmed as part of the production.

My main worry would be that the pbs specials often look like they are filmed live at a home for the elderly and are about as exciting.  On the other hand, the last BB show I attended at an art center was heavily attended by geritol set.   

"And now, the lovely Lennon Sisters will join Myron in their rendition of Barbara Ann.....and a one and a two....."
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2009, 08:03:24 AM »

Ya know I didnt get one point first time through but it seems to be that  Al wants Mike to acknowledge him as a Beach Boy or include him full fledged  in the band with him playing a leadership role. Meaning that while law suits are settled and there is peace, they are not to the point where they are going to work together. Although. even if Al did join Mike, there's the problem of leads. Mike's son sings a number of Al leads and that may be a sore spot taking Then I Kissed Her, You're So Good To Me away from him.  Sloop John B is another story, that's one thing I've noticed about Mike and Bruce's band is a weaknesss on that vocal no matter who sings it
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2009, 08:20:39 AM »

You are the worst kind of Beach Boys fan.

Like it or not, Mike & Bruce's band is the officially licensed "Beach Boys". What's better, the Beach Boys with Mike, Bruce and some other guys, or the Beach Boys with Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, Dave and some other guys? I think you know the answer.

Even Mike, Bruce and Dave on last year's tour was great. Dave added so much to the band, the sound was less sterile than it was when I saw them last week. Check out this video with David singing Forever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsZ5NSatN8A

Dennis and Carl may be unable to play with the band anymore, but that's no reason the rest of the guys shouldn't.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2009, 10:56:18 AM »

Yes I was Dave...and yes I did. You saw the video tape...how long 5 or 10 minutes? While they were addressing the press. I rode there with Dave Marks, who was not only invited, but insisted upon and welcomed with open arms by Brian, Mike, Al and Bruce. He was also given a platinum award for Sounds of Summer. There was one dumb Capitol exec who didn't know who he was, but the guys who counted were extremely glad he was with them. I don't know where you get he wasn't invited. I spent about two hours mingling with the guys that day. Brian was absolutely cracking Mike and David up with his jokes. All of them had great conversations, and really seemed to be enjoying themselves and each other. You seem to be on the wrong track on this one man. Here's the report I filed in the immediate aftermath.

Jon, I think very highly of you and I was wrong. You were there and I saw the short interview. Al's response to a reunion question led to him saying you better ask Mike. It's up to him. Or words to that effect. Mike's respone to that query fits in perfectly with what was being told to me by a family member. Al's wife's sister works for our vet here in KC and I've talked to her enough over the years to get the gist of what the hell has been going on. As for where I heard Dave Marks was not invited, I could swear that I remember him being asked to not participate in some group activity. Was it the "official" picture of the Capitol event? Yes, I think so, now that I think of it. If not, it's something that I remember reading in Catch A Wave.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2009, 11:17:07 AM »

Jon, I think very highly of you and I was wrong. You were there and I saw the short interview. Al's response to a reunion question led to him saying you better ask Mike. It's up to him. Or words to that effect. Mike's respone to that query fits in perfectly with what was being told to me by a family member. Al's wife's sister works for our vet here in KC and I've talked to her enough over the years to get the gist of what the hell has been going on. As for where I heard Dave Marks was not invited, I could swear that I remember him being asked to not participate in some group activity. Was it the "official" picture of the Capitol event? Yes, I think so, now that I think of it. If not, it's something that I remember reading in Catch A Wave.
There was a thirty-something Capitol exec there who waived Dave out of a picture(so the "orig. guys" could pose), and the other Beach Boys all said "hey wait a minute" and insisted Dave pose with them. Maybe that's what you heard about. It was pretty funny because later Dave took the guy over to the Sounds of Summer platinum award which had all the LP mini images on it...and he said to the guy...you see that record, and that record, and that record, and that record, and that record...I'm on all of those. I can understand you feeling wary of something that was "staged" for the press. And yeah that event was. I was prepared to not only notice that staged quality, but resigned that it was inevitable. I am not a fan of the BB's post 1980, I respect the individuals, but I don't like what they have done since then(other than a couple of Brian's songs, oh and I love some of David's too), and I especially hate what they've done to their legacy. But that day i saw them acting like old friends, not really performing or posing for the press, but joking around, interacting, being silly, showing good will towards each other...in a way, acting like a family, a group, a clique. it blew my mind because i never expected to see that. Maybe it was a mirage...but they actually seemed like a group that day.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 11:19:56 AM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx