gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 10:37:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A question for the "insiders" regarding rarities comps...  (Read 3213 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2009, 05:16:34 AM »

What do you think are the chances of another comp like 'Endless Harmony' or 'Hawthorne, CA' being released in the not too distant future?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »

I'd have to say (not that I'm an insider, mark you) the possibility of something in the next 24 months or so is excellent.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 10:41:29 AM »

This probably has something to do with the number '50', doesn't it?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 10:52:23 AM »

I would much appreciate something live as Alan Boyd had alluded to like Carnegie Hall '72
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 11:45:29 AM »

C'mon, you mean the Christmas album isn't enough?
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 06:36:56 PM »

Don't we already have plenty of rarities comps? Get the Boot, Dumb Angel Series, SOT series, Vigotone label, etc...   
Just kidding! An officially released comp would be AWESOME!!! I'd buy it! Maybe we'll finally get to hear WIBNTLA!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jason
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 07:32:53 PM »

Smile box, Dennis box, comprehensive unreleased box of non-Smile stuff, live box...Smiley
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 01:33:07 PM »

Smile box, Dennis box, comprehensive unreleased box of non-Smile stuff, live box...Smiley

"Still I dreeeaam of itt, of that haappy daay...." Cry

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 02:15:16 PM »

I loved Endless HarmonyHawthorne, CA was nice too but had quite a bit of filler.  Although these compilations never sold a great deal, this is the kind of stuff I'd like to see released.  Stuff from the vaults.  Would also like to see a rarities compilation of all the stuff they put out in the 70's and 80's.  Most of it wasn't great; but there were a few gems like "Chasin' The Sky" and "It's A Beautiful Day".  Would also be cool if the original "Soul Searchin'" (with the far superior BB harmonies) and "You're Still A Mystery" saw the light of day as the last two Beach Boys recordings. 

And of course some more live material would be swell; I've always wanted a live version of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" from the 80's and/or 90's with a Carl lead vocal.  And some of the stuff from the Blondie/Ricky years is well worth a release.  There are some smokin' live recordings of "Wild Honey" and "River Song" sung by Blondie that deserve to be heard.  As well as hearing "Jumpin' Jack Flash" would really be...a gas! 

Are you listening, insiders?   3D

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 02:23:24 PM »

I wish The Beach Boys would do what The Doors and Pearl Jam and (ugh) Phish have done, and that's just release a slew of live discs, sorta like The Grateful Dead did with the "Dicks Picks" series

"Desper's Picks" anyone?Huh?
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 02:27:38 PM »

I wish The Beach Boys would do what The Doors and Pearl Jam and (ugh) Phish have done, and that's just release a slew of live discs, sorta like The Grateful Dead did with the "Dicks Picks" series

That would be cool, but I don't think the Beach Boys really fall in the same category as the above-mentioned bands.  They weren't known as much for their touring like the Grateful Dead.  Yeah, the Beach Boys did make "Artist of the Year" with Rolling Stone but they were still known more for their work in the studio instead of out. 

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 02:56:20 PM »

Would love to have the complete Chicago '65 concert

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 03:20:37 PM »

Hmm... read most of this "wants list" before!   Wonder if any of this is intended for BBsCentral.com...?

“We live in divisive times.”
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 03:33:45 PM »

That would be cool, but I don't think the Beach Boys really fall in the same category as the above-mentioned bands.  They weren't known as much for their touring like the Grateful Dead.  Yeah, the Beach Boys did make "Artist of the Year" with Rolling Stone but they were still known more for their work in the studio instead of out. 

Maybe they aren't in the catagory of those bands, but they do still manage to draw, and from some clips I've seen, and some fan reactions, they can still work magic with that music & vibe.  Imagine if people had some exposure to some of the tracks you've mentioned in your previous post?
"And some of the stuff from the Blondie/Ricky years is well worth a release.  There are some smokin' live recordings of "Wild Honey" and "River Song" sung by Blondie that deserve to be heard.  As well as hearing "Jumpin' Jack Flash" would really be...a gas!"

Let some of those tracks pop up on you tube, w/video, and watch the interest it could ignite in reminding people what a great live band they were at one time!  To say nothing of what it would do in blowing away their newer fans, and the fans that could still be created... 
Done right, they wouldn't even need to do limited runs.  A friend of mine recently pulled off something for Warner Bros., where you can order anything from their film library, slick packaging & all, for a single copy of just about anything.  Guess that BB proposed site was attempting something of this nature awhile ago; who knows?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 03:35:54 PM by Ed Roach » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 03:44:23 PM »

Sure, the Beach Boys aren't The Dead, but they did tour pretty endlessly and so much stuff sounded at least different (ie: Wild Honey stuff) if not better live, than on the albums. Plus you have a few Denny songs that were only ever played live, right?

I think they were one of the most awesome live bands of all-time! Even in the 80's!

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 11:46:49 PM »

Hmm... read most of this "wants list" before!   Wonder if any of this is intended for BBsCentral.com...?

I completely forgot about that website.  Something tells me it isn't going to go any further than that "Coming Soon" graphic...and that's a real shame...

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 11:56:11 PM »

I completely forgot about that website.  Something tells me it isn't going to go any further than that "Coming Soon" graphic...and that's a real shame...

Yeah that would be a shame. Maybe it'll be open in time for the 50th Anniversary?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 01:53:57 AM »

... given the way some other anniversaries have been marked, it'll be the 50th anniversary marked in 2015!  Some of us won't be around by then...

“We live in divisive times.”
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 01:21:31 PM »

It would be great to have professional treatment done to some of the stuff only out on mediocre boots.  There is enough of that for a Hawthorne size set.  High time. Its been a minute since Hawthorne was released.  As someone said, some of us won't be alive etc.....

I think a great video of live performances over the years could be made.   A review of how they looked and sounded from the 50's through the 90's.

Imagine.  Going from clean cut stripe shirts to long hair to beards to maharishi,  to disco outfits and all through Mike's headgear over the decades. Original band through Ricky and Blondie, with and without Brian and Dennis, in and out of tune, drunk and sober.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx