gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:59:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys: The Definitive Diary of America's Greatest Band on Stage and in the Studio
5 - 10 (33.3%)
4 - 13 (43.3%)
3 - 4 (13.3%)
2 - 2 (6.7%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 1 (3.3%)
Total Voters: 25

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys: The Definitive Diary of America's Greatest Band on Stage and in  (Read 34768 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 14, 2006, 11:37:38 AM »

Discuss, review and rate The Beach Boys: The Definitive Diary of America's Greatest Band on Stage and in the Studio, released October 1, 2004.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 11:39:14 AM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 11:40:50 AM »

I thought it was a good, solid attempt. Especially the bits that were, um, borrowed from my website and the old SmileShop Smile primer.  Wink

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 01:34:56 PM »

I knew there was a reason why I liked it! Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 01:44:29 PM »

It's truly a bizarre feeling to be leafing through a book and keep coming across familiar bits of writing... but that's all settled now.  Wink

Evenreven
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 08:52:24 AM »

It's truly a bizarre feeling to be leafing through a book and keep coming across familiar bits of writing... but that's all settled now.  Wink
Did you get a proper excuse? What about Lou?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 01:19:16 PM »

Yes... eventually.

Initially the publishers just said "there's only so many ways you can say "Joe Doaks died"", so I offered to send them photocopies of the post-1976 summaries and printouts of my timeline with the, ah, similarities highlighted in green. There was a LOT of green.  Grin

Mailed it. About a week later, got an email saying, essentially, they were sorry and if there was a reprint I'd get proper accreditation and freebies. They also took on board that sections of the  pre-1977 text borrowed heavily from my website.

Keith himself was fine about it - seems he had a team of researchers and some were less than diligent about naming sources. I understand Lou got a similar deal.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 01:31:32 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 06:18:44 AM »

Problems aside, it's still a great resource, chock full of great photos.

Watch out for snakes!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 05:40:25 AM »

i like the book a whole lot, prolly one of my favs. great pics, good info, and you can steal the BB/Wrecking Crew's identity via their SSN's on the Session Sheet pics

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 12:19:41 PM »

Love it, very informative and inspiring to read.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 09:05:20 AM »

I perused, thumbed, read, and flipped through this for about a year.   A grand lot of minutia, pictures, contracts, and SSN's :D
beachboyphil
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 02:53:20 PM »

a great "pick up and pick a year" to read book
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 02:44:15 PM »

A really cool book. I hope there will be a vol.2 but please without so many mistakes. Anyway, I like it very much and it's design is great !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 11:24:33 PM »

There are some events left out and it should not be considered the last word, but overall the photos are cool and the info helpfull. I really like how it throws light on every member and also helps a lot with the TV shows and tours. It proves Brian's functionality was always higher then the myth said.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 06:39:45 PM by MBE » Logged
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 12:33:10 AM »

So I've recently been researching the SMiLE sessions and have been using Keith Badman's book as a main source of info.  However I remember there being some controversy when the book came out regarding some of his SMiLE session dates or facts as being incorrect.  So I was wondering if anyone here knew exactly what sessions he goofed on.  Any help appreciated...

Oh for what it's worth, I own the second edition of the book.  (I know this because no social security numbers of session musicians appear in it!)

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 12:49:53 AM »

Keith (or his researchers) lifted a LOT of the Smile session info from the excellent primer posted on the old SmileShop site by Lou (uncredited too), so that will be pretty accurate. However, he extrapolated a lot from that info, and much of his guesswork is spurious (in fact, that can be said for his session info in general - the AFM sheets give good information, but his use of them is dubious, notably the first one for "Surfin'"). I can state with total authority that the 12/5/66 session for "Fire" never happened - because I'm the one who, in an issue of Stomp started the myth, based on a misreading of a Capitol session sheet. If his researchers had read the next few issues they'd have seen me 'fess up.  Smiley

Jason, when did you buy the 2nd edition, and what is the publication date ?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 02:27:54 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 11:19:01 AM »

Keith (or his researchers) lifted a LOT of the Smile session info from the excellent primer posted on the old SmileShop site by Lou (uncredited too), so that will be pretty accurate. However, he extrapolated a lot from that info, and much of his guesswork is spurious (in fact, that can be said for his session info in general - the AFM sheets give good information, but his use of them is dubious, notably the first one for "Surfin'"). I can state with total authority that the 12/5/66 session for "Fire" never happened - because I'm the one who, in an issue of Stomp started the myth, based on a misreading of a Capitol session sheet. If his researchers had read the next few issues they'd have seen me 'fess up.  Smiley

Jason, when did you buy the 2nd edition, and what is the publication date ?

Thank you Andrew.  That's interesting because 12.05.66 was what he had listed as the vocal overdubbing session for "Fire", so unless some vocals were laid down at the 11.28.66 tracking session, the piece never had any actual Beach Boy voices on it.

I got my copy through Amazon (US), and apparently I was wrong and  it IS a first edition (2004) which is strange because I've never come across any social security numbers, and I've read through it pretty thoroughly.   Huh

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 03:43:55 PM »

The SS numbers are shown on the repros of the AFM sheets, not in the text.

Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 05:39:28 PM »

Yeah that I know.  The space on the contracts where you're supposed to write them has been whited out in my copy.

SUICIDE
Wilsonista
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 06:29:11 PM »

So those of us that have bought the first copies now own collector's editions?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 11:20:55 PM »

Yeah that I know.  The space on the contracts where you're supposed to write them has been whited out in my copy.

Congratulations, sir - you are the very first person I've come across with one of the 'amended' copies ! I would suspect that yours is far, far rarer than any copy with the SS numbers included.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 01:53:54 AM »

What a bad man

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
MBE
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 03:16:47 AM »

The book does have it's problems but it really helps with certain dates, and getting the feel of a year. I think his best stuff is on the Holland era.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 09:57:40 AM »

I know I made an error (it was a typo I think) on the SMile primer on a date for a Worms session, and that error made it through to Badman's book - I've since corrected the primer.
Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2007, 04:40:13 PM »

Congratulations, sir - you are the very first person I've come across with one of the 'amended' copies ! I would suspect that yours is far, far rarer than any copy with the SS numbers included.
The copies with the whited-out SS numbers and marked "first edition" are the only ones I've seen in the stores for about the last two years.
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2007, 10:20:24 PM »

Keith (or his researchers)

Good Christ . . . who is stupid enough to use outside "researchers" for pop music history?? !!

That's the domain of college PhDs in the academic ranks (regardless of subject) . . . and even then the stuff gets vetted. Not that mistakes don't happen . . . they do . . . but it's a more robust process. In the Badman case, I strongly suspect there was no editorial oversight, from a publishing standpoint.

I say, if you don't have time to do it all yourself . . . in lieu of a heavy-weight publisher with resources . . . then don't sign on to the project. You're only setting yourself up for a fall. Self-publishing and niche publishing can be good options . . . but only if you have the raw data (personally at hand) to back up your statements, theories, and opinions.

I mean, certainly you'd want to use previous research if it's valid, and cite secondary sources (that's how it works) . . . but you have to double check your material. And if you don't have any true primary sources to check your facts against . . . then you can get into serious trouble.

I'm not of the mindset that . . . just because something may be "out there" (i.e., available) . . . it's any good. Any book that's rife with factual errors is garbage . . . no matter how big a fan or collector you are.

Name-checking insiders and other researchers is never enough.

My copy of the Badman book includes the Social Security numbers.

M.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx