gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 12:36:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you could have a "Beach Boys Rock Band" game...  (Read 2847 times)
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »

What songs would you put in it? I'll list off my choices
Surfin' Safari
Surfin' U.S.A
Shut Down
Surfer Girl
Catch a Wave
In my Room
Hawaii
Our Car Club
Custom Machine
Fun, Fun, Fun
Don't Worry Baby
I Get Around
Little Honda
Wendy
Don't Back Down
Please Let me Wonder
The Girl from NYC
Salt Lake City
Help me, Rhonda
California Girls
The Little Girl I Once Knew
Wouldn't it Be Nice
Sloop John B
Do you Like Worms?
Good Vibrations (Trying not to have piano/organ songs but this has to be in it.)
A Thing or Two (The "surprise" song to "appease" the die hards  LOL)
Little Bird
Busy Doin' Nothin
Do it Again
Break Away
This Whole World
It's About Time (Talk about a drum challenge!)
Marcella
It's Ok
Honkin' Down the Highway

Any other suggestions of what songs could also work?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 01:55:49 PM »

I can't see a lot of those songs working. Surfer Girl, In My Room, et cetera are too vocal-based for Rock Band.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 02:18:33 PM »

Ahh, but they're putting in a harmonising feature for The Beatles rock band....
I woulda thought H&V would be a cert, and how is DYLW not the fans choice?  Cheesy I could also see much more of WIld Honey, and more CATP and Holland for sure.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 11:17:03 PM »

Ahh, but they're putting in a harmonising feature for The Beatles rock band....

Which I'm actually pretty surprised by.  I know that apparently they have some form of training for it in the game, but really, how do you teach people to harmonize?  It's something that you either have the ear for or you don't.  I don't know, maybe people can learn if they hear the parts isolated, but I don't see it coming too easily to non-musical people. 

The problem would be even worse with a Beach Boys game...their harmonies can be even more difficult to hear.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 12:16:03 AM »

It's so unthinkable. If I owned a Beach Boys rockband game the only people I could persuade to play would be my three year old son. The Beatles is a different prospect as so many people love them, and even if they don't, they will often know the words. So having a party and getting Beatles Rockband out to break the ice is quite feasible, whereas dragging out a Beach Boys game would be a death-wish imo, unless all your friends are full time members of the Smiley Smile message board! Actually, now I think of it, the famous 'surf-era' stuff probably would be popular, but I can see this working more in the context of a 60s hits Rockband game alongside other iconic music from the 60s. Fun Fun Fun and all that would work, but once you get past Pet Sounds, I don't think your average player would care about many of the songs, and certainly wouldn't care to be immersed in a Beach Boys only themed game. They are just not 'cool' to the general public, in the same way The Beatles are. The Beach Boys are a cool band, but in a cultish way.

Anyway, stating the obvious aside, I think it would be a wonderful thing to own for us hardcore fans. If I could design it, I'd allow the player to select different manifestations of the band from each era, from the clean-cut striped shirt wearing group right up to the coke-fuelled beardy weirdies c. Love You, replicating Brian's greasy haircut, beer-gut revealing tracksuits and Magnum-style sunglasses in exquisite detail, not to mention the dressing gowns. Wait, here's an idea: Songs from the Surf's up album would be performed sans Brian, and then if all band members played particularly well there would be a sort of 'power-up' mode where a bath-robed Brian would magically materialise and add some cigarette-saturated voclas to the mix. If your performance dropped, he would simply shuffle off back to a door marked 'Brian's bedroom'. That would keep me playing for days!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 04:51:58 AM »

Anyway, stating the obvious aside, I think it would be a wonderful thing to own for us hardcore fans. If I could design it, I'd allow the player to select different manifestations of the band from each era, from the clean-cut striped shirt wearing group right up to the coke-fuelled beardy weirdies c. Love You, replicating Brian's greasy haircut, beer-gut revealing tracksuits and Magnum-style sunglasses in exquisite detail, not to mention the dressing gowns. Wait, here's an idea: Songs from the Surf's up album would be performed sans Brian, and then if all band members played particularly well there would be a sort of 'power-up' mode where a bath-robed Brian would magically materialise and add some cigarette-saturated voclas to the mix. If your performance dropped, he would simply shuffle off back to a door marked 'Brian's bedroom'. That would keep me playing for days!

LOL LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 12:56:45 PM »

LOL LOL

I'd go out and buy that faster than you can say "birthday cake."
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 06:31:55 PM »

It's so unthinkable. If I owned a Beach Boys rockband game the only people I could persuade to play would be my three year old son. The Beatles is a different prospect as so many people love them, and even if they don't, they will often know the words. So having a party and getting Beatles Rockband out to break the ice is quite feasible, whereas dragging out a Beach Boys game would be a death-wish imo, unless all your friends are full time members of the Smiley Smile message board! Actually, now I think of it, the famous 'surf-era' stuff probably would be popular, but I can see this working more in the context of a 60s hits Rockband game alongside other iconic music from the 60s. Fun Fun Fun and all that would work, but once you get past Pet Sounds, I don't think your average player would care about many of the songs, and certainly wouldn't care to be immersed in a Beach Boys only themed game. They are just not 'cool' to the general public, in the same way The Beatles are. The Beach Boys are a cool band, but in a cultish way.

That's awesome! Almost reminds of Parappa the Rappa where if you start doing bad, the scenery starts falling apart.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 12:48:18 AM »

That's awesome! Almost reminds of Parappa the Rappa where if you start doing bad, the scenery starts falling apart.

It could be called the 'Brian's Back-ometer".

I remember many happy hours playing Parappa with housemates at college - "Kick, Punch - It's all in the mind!"

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 09:00:52 PM »

Make it an old fashioned game like Monopoly.    Have key properties like SOT or lesser property like Radiant Radish, gain or lose songwriting credit,  have draw cards for a few spaces...loose property to the Wizard, etc.  Go to Dental School, lose four turns,  Fined by Muray, pay 25 dollars.  Get out of the draft free cards.  Pay Mike's alimony.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 02:19:30 PM »

In the version of Beach Boys Rock Band that I would play the player would enter the SMiLE world but could never find their way out ... they would die happily - but only after they found the missing recording of "Air" ...

Here is a link to some info about The Beatles Rock Band game and how the negotiations were held to get approval ... like yeah, I could see that hapening in the BRI world ...

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/beatles-game-is-a-magical-history-tour-20090909-fg7h.html
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 02:20:48 PM by TonyW » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 02:51:35 PM »

I don't think the Beach Boys are quite the best choice for a Rock Band-specific game.  The Beach Boys just never really rocked in that regard.  Now if there was some sort of music game based on vocals and harmonizing, they would be the first group on my mind deserving of their own game. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 08:08:01 AM »

Most Beach Boys fans are too smart to play that stupid game!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 03:09:49 PM »

I could see a 'Snakes and Ladders' kind of game!

Dennis mentions to Brian...'Hey, You should write a song about surfing!' (up a ladder) Smiley
Al starts singing 'Help Me Rhonda', then Murry enters the studio.( down a snake) Sad

Grin

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx