gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680780 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 07:20:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official "Our Sweet Love" Appreciation Thread  (Read 6357 times)
DennisWilsonIsMyHero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2009, 08:55:25 PM »

Discuss Smiley

This song makes me happy. Any information or history on it is greatly appreciated.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live I will kill you. If I die you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
MBE
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 10:57:59 PM »

Well it's a great song that is overlooked even by fans of the album. Brian and Carl are in steller vocal form and I think it's the first time you can hear Carl's voice really getting lower and more adult.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 12:32:08 AM »

I've always loved it too, and in case you don't know, I hesitate to mention it but there is an instrumental track with some backing vocals on some (ahem) "unofficial" releases which features a lovely bit at the end which was cut (or buried completely in the mix) from the released version, with the lyric "love you baby, and I can tell you that-a our sweet love is, just like a-honey, our sweet looove". I love to sing that part every time when I listen to the song now, it's really "sweet". Smiley

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 08:44:48 AM »

Incredible song.love it. production is stunning

never seems to get much of a mention from anyone

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 08:57:38 AM »

One of my favourite from Sunflower, also one of the great love songs of all time IMO.

Carl's vocal and the production  group hug.

I'm glad it was included on summer love songs, great choice there.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 09:11:39 AM »

Everything's perfect about this song, in fact I might even prefer it over "Forever". Love that little tambourine hit at the end, by the way.

Do we know who mainly handled production duties on this one? Carl?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 09:50:11 AM »

everyone always gives this crap for being a 're-write of God Only Knows'

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 10:12:28 AM »

"Our Sweet Love" is really good. Beautiful arrangement, tasteful lyrics, and a most gorgeous lead by Carl.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 10:17:43 AM »

There are quite a few obvious similarities between the two, wouldn't you agree? (Mind you, for me that doesn't detract from OSL's overall greatness.) It is, however, far more relaxed than "God Only Knows" and that's part of what makes it so special. "Our Sweet Love" would have been out of place on Pet Sounds as it definitely lacks that album's deep melancholy.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 11:03:41 AM by phirnis » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 10:57:19 AM »

Such a happy song. That 'doo-doo' harmony is just priceless. I'm not sure about the rewrite of God Only Knows bit, the only thing they really have in common is tempo. Or did Brian actually rejig GOK for it?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 11:21:04 AM »

Tempo is the same, but the chords and the melody are not even close.
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 11:42:25 AM »

It's a timeless Love song that always brings back so many fond memories. And Carl is simply Stellar in his delivery of "Our Sweet Love". But it also sets the stage for one of THE most Brilliant songs on "Sunflower".....the immortal masterpiece "At My Window".

Bri
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 11:43:54 AM by Big Bri » Logged
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 11:43:06 AM »

Maybe the strings, & the towering round section...?  Also lyrics: "I may not always love you" & "Our sweet love won't last forever" ??

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
DennisWilsonIsMyHero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 11:56:54 AM »

Maybe the strings, & the towering round section...?  Also lyrics: "I may not always love you" & "Our sweet love won't last forever" ??

I believe the correct lyric is "Could last forever."

Regardless, I don't hear the GOK connection. I think this song stands amazingly well on its own.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live I will kill you. If I die you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 12:05:39 PM »

There are quite a few obvious similarities between the two, wouldn't you agree? (Mind you, for me that doesn't detract from OSL's overall greatness.) It is, however, far more relaxed than "God Only Knows" and that's part of what makes it so special. "Our Sweet Love" would have been out of place on Pet Sounds as it definitely lacks that album's deep melancholy.

I think every now and then in BW's song writing career a song surfaces that is clearly from the same guy that wrote God Only Knows and Our Sweet Love is definitely one of those songs. In terms of its chord progression it definitely could belong on Pet Sounds imo. Stevie from MIU sessions (?) is another that is clearly related to GOK, imho of course!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 12:53:18 PM »

Grin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQea4WsON64
 Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 01:01:10 PM »

It's a timeless Love song that always brings back so many fond memories. And Carl is simply Stellar in his delivery of "Our Sweet Love". But it also sets the stage for one of THE most Brilliant songs on "Sunflower".....the immortal masterpiece "At My Window".

Bri

Do I detect sarcasm there? (assume so). One of the early BB bios says of that
timeless classic "Jardine talks to the birds in a bizarre patois no doubt equally offensive to
both man and beast." LOL

Somewhat cloying but at times oddly compelling, and I do like the tag.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 12:30:31 PM by mutedtrumpeterswan » Logged

Daly, Chicago 1968
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 01:05:06 PM »

Very cute and uplifting! Smiley

Thanks for sharing.

Daly, Chicago 1968
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 01:21:48 PM »

Bri

Do I detect sarcasm there? (assume so). One of the early BB bios says of that
timeless classic "Jardine talks to the birds in a bizarre patois no doubt equally offensive to
both man and beast." LOL

Definitely very cloying but at times oddly compelling, and I do like the tag.

It's time for an official "At My Window" appreciation thread!

Really, what's not to like about this song? Gotta love the beautiful accordion, let alone the beautiful intro and georgeous tag, of course. Some people might find Brian's attempt at speaking French downright embarrassing. To my ears it sounds quite charming, however, and it's nice to have what almost is a rare lead vocal moment here, even though it's spoken word only.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 01:21:56 PM »

It should be noted that the bizarre patois parts of the song are spoken by Brian Wilson not Jardine
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 02:04:10 PM »

Maybe Al wrote them?

And here's a cover band seamlessly going from God Only Knows to Our Sweet Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuK-s0KdVEs

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 02:15:25 PM »

Love that tune, beautiful. So much good stuff on Sunflower

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 02:26:56 PM »

It's a nice, solid tune.  Maybe a tad on the sugary side but still a great lead vocal by Carl and a great melody. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 02:55:43 PM »

Bri

You're one of the few to hold 'At my window' in such high regard. Good man  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2009, 03:06:52 PM »

Yeah, I love what Brian was doing around Sunflower, including "Our Sweet Love" and "At My Window".  Sunflower would be perfect for me if they took out Bruce's songs (they're not bad but they're unnecessary IMO, not really a BBs vibe) and replaced them with "Good Time" and "When Girls Get Together", another oft-maligned track I love. Take off Dennis's "Got To Know the Woman" and replace it with "Lady". Maybe throw in "Take A Load Off Your Feet". Imagine how goofy a Brian and Al collaboration album would've been. They would had to have packaged the album with Ritz crackers to help listeners deal with all of the cheese.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx