gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681011 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 06:37:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can someone clue me in?  (Read 3265 times)
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2009, 11:44:34 PM »

Okay so I'm listening to an...ahem...unofficial recording of Brian's SMiLE concert in Boca Raton FL, and I think it may be a pretty common boot. The show begins with Brian, Jeff and a few other of the male band members singing "We are the pilgrims...we are the pilgrims..." and then Brian says "won;t you toast with me" and Jeff says "yes I'll toast with you" and Brian says "and shall we have a good show"...

Unless I'm missing something...this is one of the most random things I've ever heard...has anyone else heard it and does anyone know what the heck is going on?

On the plus side, fun boot with perhaps the most spirited round of "Row Your Boat" I've ever heard and Brian growling out the "forest fires" line in "Drive-In". And he makes tons of funny animal noises during "Barnyard"
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 11:59:58 PM by TdHabib » Logged

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 07:49:42 AM »

The show begins with Brian, Jeff and a few other of the male band members singing "We are the pilgrims...we are the pilgrims..."

That is weird.  Could it have been Thanksgiving?

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
SG7
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 07:58:51 AM »

They did that a few times in the tour. They did that at my show as well.
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 09:08:33 AM »

Probably Brian just being Brian  Wink
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 11:36:01 AM by LittleSurferGirl » Logged

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 10:50:32 AM »

Did it at the UK premiere... or was it the UK summer BWPS shows ? Anyway... nope, not the least idea what they were on about and to judge from some of the expressions onstage, I wasn't alone. I'll ask someone who might know.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 12:59:25 PM »

I've ... um ... heard the UK premiere, and I'm fairly certain they didn't do it there.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 01:00:49 PM »

I was wrong - it was the 2nd 2004 tour.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 01:01:02 PM »

Did it at the UK premiere... or was it the UK summer BWPS shows ? Anyway... nope, not the least idea what they were on about and to judge from some of the expressions onstage, I wasn't alone. I'll ask someone who might know.

The audience is absolutely silent from the moment this starts until Jeff starts to talk with the audience...which is hilarious. Also my tape is from October 2004...so not near Thanksgiving.

Anyway, a positive note is that from the boots I'm hearing of the BWPS tour...the BWPS tour was the most comfortable, or shall I say least uncomfortable, I've heard Brian from 1999 until now live...with the exception of the first handful of nail-biter premieres.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 01:24:32 PM »

Did he sing the Old Master Painter lyrics at the Florida show?
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 02:43:38 PM »

The Fall 2004 tour shows began with an "impromptu" campfire sing along portion with just Foskett on acoustic guitar and everyone else gathered around a couple of mics (if I remember correctly). It was staged to appear somewhat spontaneous. The "toasting" song was an attempt to create an impression of a group of friends getting together to have a good time and sing a few songs. I saw this as an alternate way to open the show to distinguish it from the previous tours (the '99 tour had an Alan Boyd film leading directly into the first live song; the 2000 PET SOUNDS tour had the Van Dyke Parks orchestral suite opening the show). The "toasting" song was odd enough to make me think it was Brian's idea to include it.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 04:55:12 PM »

The campfire stuff was really cool...unplugged kinda set...Brian should bring that back!

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 04:58:13 PM »

Did he sing the Old Master Painter lyrics at the Florida show?
Nope, but again, a flat-out hilarious "Row Your Boat"

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 11:04:38 PM »

The Fall 2004 tour shows began with an "impromptu" campfire sing along portion with just Foskett on acoustic guitar and everyone else gathered around a couple of mics (if I remember correctly).

In London, pretty much everyone had some kind of instrument - Jeff a ukulele, Nicky a guitar, Scott bongos, Darian a mini xylophone and so on, thus - http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/RFHjune.html.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 11:06:03 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 06:06:51 AM »

In London, pretty much everyone had some kind of instrument - Jeff a ukulele, Nicky a guitar, Scott bongos, Darian a mini xylophone and so on, thus - http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/RFHjune.html.

The U.S. Smile tour opened with the same setup: everyone was playing something, it just wasn't full-on electric.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 10:14:35 AM »

The U.S. Smile tour opened with the same setup: everyone was playing something, it just wasn't full-on electric.

Right - I guess I didn't remember it correctly. What did stay in my memory was the beautiful "unplugged" rendition of "Add Some Music..." that was performed; during the Ann Arbor show, Brian sang this one with his eyes closed, nailing the lead vocal and lyrics.
Jason
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 11:39:54 PM »

The little acoustic sets before the 2004 shows and the late 2006 shows were great to hear. I remember a thread on the blueboard  back in 2003 or so which basically went "how could Brian's show get better?", and I posted (this was back when I put one or two posts on a year, tops) that Brian and the band should do an unplugged set. Of course, if it was read, I have no idea, since Brian and Melinda IIRC were not around, but I dunno. Maybe Bluebird passed it on to Brian on the telephone. Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 10:06:52 AM »

The little acoustic sets before the 2004 shows and the late 2006 shows were great to hear. I remember a thread on the blueboard  back in 2003 or so which basically went "how could Brian's show get better?", and I posted (this was back when I put one or two posts on a year, tops) that Brian and the band should do an unplugged set. Of course, if it was read, I have no idea, since Brian and Melinda IIRC were not around, but I dunno. Maybe Bluebird passed it on to Brian on the telephone. Smiley

Now then, let's have a little reality here - she obviously hopped on a plane and delivered the idea personally.  Grin

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 06:43:08 PM »

I'm a bluebird, I'm a bluebird, yeah yeah yeah yeah...   (Gotta love McCartney & Wings!!)

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx