gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:49:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Live At The Roxy Theatre
5 - 18 (40.9%)
4 - 16 (36.4%)
3 - 7 (15.9%)
2 - 2 (4.5%)
1 - 1 (2.3%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live At The Roxy Theatre  (Read 31474 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 03:02:35 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Live At The Roxy Theatre, released July 2000.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 06:55:30 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 03:08:48 PM »

Good cross-section of Brian's career as interpreted by the current band. Some of the tracks are great, others not as much so. Brian's voice wasn't really as strong as it became during the Smile shows, but it is still a good listen.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 04:02:39 PM »

An awesome concert. Very good performances from Brian, and the band is exceptional.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 01:53:07 PM »

A terrific album, which sums up Brian's touring as well as anything up to the Smile DVD. It perhaps seemed more important at the time than it seems today, but still. 5 stars from me.
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 06:13:34 PM »

If you have the capability to play it - in 5.1 or in stereo - get the DVD-A. The sonics are so far superior it's amazing, and you get a couple bonus cuts as well. 5+ stars for the DVD-A!

The performance of Brian Wilson/Til I Die is one of the most remarkable pieces of live music I've heard in any genre.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 07:06:23 AM »

Fun live set! Upon not having listened in a year, immediately I say- This Whole World is weak- trransposed to fit his recent vocal range. One track is a bit too 'rockin'. merhaps- Help Me Rhonda? I'd need to listen in again.
Overall, I dig it!
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 07:14:22 AM »

This is really great!  I'd purposely avoided listening to it prior to my first Brian concert as I didn't want to spoil the surprise.  Well, the show blew me away and this album was a pretty good reminder of it afterwards, particularly as the intro and the first two songs (Little Girl I Once Knew and This Whole World) were the same as when I saw him.  I give it 5.  Also, Brian seems full of humour on this album and sounds like he's enjoying himself.  I'm also reminded of the footage on the BW on Tour DVD from around the same time, particularly when he's jumping around to Barbara Ann.  I don't think I've ever seen him looking quite as lively in the concerts I've attended since.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 04:35:48 PM »

Did anybody here on the board go to the Saturday show instead of the Friday?  (For this album, I mean...)

The only reason I mention it is that Brian didn't seem in very good form except for the first and last songs--and he sounds pretty good on the CD.

I'm curious if the CD is mostly from the Friday show, or whether vocals were rerecorded later...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 10:32:37 PM »

Probably both.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 11:11:58 PM »

Did anybody here on the board go to the Saturday show instead of the Friday?  (For this album, I mean...)

The only reason I mention it is that Brian didn't seem in very good form except for the first and last songs--and he sounds pretty good on the CD.

I'm curious if the CD is mostly from the Friday show, or whether vocals were rerecorded later...

The Roxy was booked for three nights - two for recording, the third for sweetening. Forget which song but there's one where Brian is very obviously tracking himself, and none too well.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 10:24:33 AM »

The Beach Boys NEVER had a setlist this great. I don't really like Brian's vocals here though.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 11:37:01 AM »

Unbelievable set-slist for this one!  The band plays everything exceptionally well and the harmonies are gorgeous.  Brian's voice is not in top form but not terrible either.  I am thankful that he got better with time.  If for nothing else, I love this album just  for the fact that it signaled Brian's return to making/performing music for us again!

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 04:53:03 AM »

I quite like this album. As has been mentioned before Brians vocals arent the best and the setlist is great.. but it sounds like Brian is enjoying himself on stage more than he had for the past who knows how many years.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 11:33:23 AM »

I've actually only heard one song from this album, and that's Brian's cover of Barenaked Ladies' "Brian Wilson." He sounds great on it, but I'm bummed that he only did the bridge and one chorus and not the entire song. In recent years the Ladies have paid tribute to Brian's Roxy version by performing the first verse and first chorus entirely a Capella. Back in the early 90s, during their live shows, the ladies would always lead into Brian Wilson by getting the crowd to clap along while BNL frontman Steve Page would sing "eat a lot sleep a lot brush em like crazy, run a lot do a lot never be lazy".
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 10:03:32 AM by ascrodin » Logged

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Wilsonista
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 07:06:10 PM »

That's because the BNL cover is a segue into Til I Die.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 10:06:07 AM »

That's because the BNL cover is a segue into Til I Die.

I still think he should have done the entire song.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2007, 08:57:43 PM »

I like this album, but it's crazy to me that he sings better NOW live, then he did then.  So when you hear him sing some of the tracks (particularly the ones early in the setlist) you go "hey, I've heard him do better than that!" so you've got to wonder if maybe they're going to squeeze another live disc out of him sometime in the near future.  Even the arrangements and things are more sophisticated now in the concerts, possibly because he toured with a larger band for SMiLE (I suppose he did, at least!).  I'd release a single disc with about 4 or 5 of his big hits and then fill the rest of it up with a dozen tracks that weren't covered on Roxy.  They could do California Girls/Surfer Girl/In My Room/etc. and then all the great live stuff he's been doing lately like Hawaii, Catch a Wave, etc.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 09:03:39 PM »

The Roxy was booked for three nights - two for recording, the third for sweetening. Forget which song but there's one where Brian is very obviously tracking himself, and none too well.
Was the song you're talking about "Please Let Me Wonder"? I've always thought that the vocal on that sounded odd.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 09:30:09 PM »

Quite a few songs, actually. On "Don't Worry Baby", for instance, you can hear him say "okay" after the first line of the song, and you can tell it wasn't recorded at the same time. Also "Lay Down Burden".

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 08:34:49 PM »

I listened to this CD last night, and I could spot quite a few instances where Brian overdubbed his voice. Surfer Girl is another obvious one. Brian's vocal on the bridge(Is that what it's called?) is louder than the rest of the song.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 05:30:49 PM »

I happen to be blasting this CD right now.  Smokin

The band sounds so good here, instrumentally and vocally. I give this a 4 based almost entirely on how wonderful they sound. Brian himself sounds engaged for most of it and that's about the best I can say about his performance.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 10:13:37 AM »

I get a weird vibe from this CD. The setlist combined with the fact that the audience is filled with super hardcore fans who shout things like "Brian we love you!" puts me off, I don't know why. Like it's just a big "F you Mike & Bruce, Brian is so much better than you" from Brian's management.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 01:51:14 PM »

Perhaps Brian should have performed in front of a lot of people who didn't like him.
Wilsonista
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 03:14:21 PM »

Perhaps Brian should have performed in front of a lot of people who didn't like him.

As a performance, it captures what's great about Brian's concerts. Some of the classics and some that deserved to be get equal time.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 03:22:54 PM »

That's why I think -- honestly -- it's probably one of Brian's finest solo albums. It captures a lot that's true and lovable about the man, the band and the music.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx